petesrver

Supporting Vendor

• Supporting Vendor
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Outback/SOB:Outback/Terrain/Sydney

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Posted Image

We just got in our first 2014 Outback. it's a 312BH Diamond Package that includes black front cap. As you know, this bunkhouse is very popular with families. What do you think? Now that we've been through three front cap color changes, which is your preference: White, Brown, or Black? You can check out a gallery of pics here on the Pete's RV website.

#2 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 986 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

The black cap looks real nice, the color scheme is sharp!

Diamond package is very enticing, just wish they would have carried the solid surface counters throughout the trailer, not just the kitchen.

One more complaint is on the cargo capacity. Many Outbacks have cargo capacities that are not realistic for the size of the trailer. I was actually out looking at an Outback at your dealership a few months ago and the 35 foot trailer had a cargo capacity of 900 lbs. That is inadequate for a trailer of this size that is supposed to be designed for a family. Please pass this comment on to Keystone if you can. The larger Outbacks need a 10K frame.

Thanks for the update.

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD
2012 Outback 301BQ - Tenth Anniversary Edition

#3 KTMRacer

KTMRacer

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 295RE
  • Tow Vehicle:04 Silverado CC/SB Duramax

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

personally I am glad I don't have the new front cap. Why????? well, impossible to install more than two batteries. we dry camp a lot and with our 2011 295RE It was easy to put 4 GC batteries on the tongue. Can't do that with the new cap design. At least it allows two. Marginal for dry camping. I've seen some trailers with the new style cap and there is only room for ONE small 12V battery. Only good for camping with electric hookups. That rules out about 3/4 of our camping trips.

I also agree with the comment about CCC. With the size of the bigger trailers, they really should be a 10,000lb GVWR, these trailers are long enough that they are in 3/4 ton truck territory for TV anyway.

Outback is IMHO doing a great job on the interiors and features, but not thinking as much about realistic CCC and dry camper needs.
2011 Outback 295RE
2004.5 Silverado/Duramax/CC/SB/4x4
2004 Pace 7x14 Cargosport Toyhauler with living quarters 2001 KTM 400EXC
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• 986 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:28 AM

personally I am glad I don't have the new front cap. Why????? well, impossible to install more than two batteries. we dry camp a lot and with our 2011 295RE It was easy to put 4 GC batteries on the tongue. Can't do that with the new cap design. At least it allows two. Marginal for dry camping. I've seen some trailers with the new style cap and there is only room for ONE small 12V battery. Only good for camping with electric hookups. That rules out about 3/4 of our camping trips.

We also mostly dry camp. I was able to squeeze four golf cart batteries on my tongue. I had to replace the standard battery rack with a tray. It is very tight, but it is possible. The biggest obstacle is the angle of the tongue, not the cap of the trailer. Some of the tongues on these trailers are really tight, which leaves no room for the two double capacity battery boxes. They will fit under the cap, but the front corner of the battery box will hit the edge of the tongue by an inch or two. We are lucky that our tongue is just a couple inches longer than average and we have room to squeeze in the two battery boxes.

Another comment to pass on to Keystone, front cap is nice, but the tongue needs to be just a inch or two longer to allow the possibility four batteries on the tongue. :)

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD
2012 Outback 301BQ - Tenth Anniversary Edition

#5 KTMRacer

KTMRacer

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 295RE
  • Tow Vehicle:04 Silverado CC/SB Duramax

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

We also mostly dry camp. I was able to squeeze four golf cart batteries on my tongue. I had to replace the standard battery rack with a tray. It is very tight, but it is possible. The biggest obstacle is the angle of the tongue, not the cap of the trailer. Some of the tongues on these trailers are really tight, which leaves no room for the two double capacity battery boxes. They will fit under the cap, but the front corner of the battery box will hit the edge of the tongue by an inch or two. We are lucky that our tongue is just a couple inches longer than average and we have room to squeeze in the two battery boxes.

Another comment to pass on to Keystone, front cap is nice, but the tongue needs to be just a inch or two longer to allow the possibility four batteries on the tongue. :)

DAN

glad to here it can be done, especially with the extra height of GC batteries.
2011 Outback 295RE
2004.5 Silverado/Duramax/CC/SB/4x4
2004 Pace 7x14 Cargosport Toyhauler with living quarters 2001 KTM 400EXC
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 thefulminator

thefulminator

Master Member

• 1,979 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

I am definitely concerned with the black front cap. Our 2013 250RS has the brown front cap and when it is in direct sunlight it gets pretty warm in the bunk areas even when the AC is running. I would expect that the same situation would only be worse with a black front cap.
2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR and Equalizer 10K, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 W5CI

W5CI

• 534 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2004 Cedar Creek 30-RLBS
  • Tow Vehicle:2015 RAM 3500 Cummins DRW

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

I wouldnt purchase any TT that was anything but White, with the 100 degree plus weather we have here in Arkansas it would be impossible to stay in it.
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
2015 RAM 3500 DRW

#8 Todd&Regan

Todd&Regan

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2014 Outback 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:2012 F-250 XLT, 6.7L Power Stroke diesel

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

I really like the look of the black cap on my new 301BQ, but I'm concerned about it generating additional solar heat. Guess I'll find out next summer.

Todd, DW Regan, DSS 15, DSD 12, DD 5

#9 ob277rl

ob277rl

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 277RL Reese 1,200 lb Dual Cam Sway Control
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 F150 4X4 SCrw XLT 5.4L- 6.5ft -Tow -Hlpr Spgs

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Todd I know what your mean, the color and style of the new front cap is what attracted us to the Outback line of trailers. It wasn’t till we got it home that we discovered that the front of the trailer would get unreasonably warm when facing directly into the sun. In looking into what could be done to deal with this dilemma we found ourselves in, I came up with three possible solutions. First install a second A/C at the front of the trailer. Second paint the front cap white, not my favorite choice. Third see if I could just add more insulation because this would help with both heat and cold. The front of our trailer is all closet and storage and is normally not visible, so installing insulation on the inside of the trailer would be concealed and less likely to be noticeable. Third this idea came to me after I had already insulated the trailer on the inside. In the process of looking where the heat was getting into the trailer I removed the wood trim above the closet. This would allow access to the front of the trailer at the top of the space between the front cap and the interior wall. If I wasn’t satisfied with the results of the new insulation on the inside I would fill this space with that white fluffy blown in insulation that they use in attics.
The new insulation on the interior of our trailer seems to be working for us. I looked at the layout of your trailer and installing the blown in insulation would be a simpler method in your case. As with the bunk room at the front of your trailer the front wall is always in view. If after removing the trim next to the ceiling in your trailer and there isn’t access to the space in the front, you can remove one or both of the LED hitch lights on the front of the cap. There is access to see just what this area looks like and possibly blow the insulation in from here. Here is a pic of our closet after installing additional insulation and covering it up with 1/8”wallboard I found at Lowes. Good Luck. http://www.outbacker...1_1850_2967.jpg

#10 Todd&Regan

Todd&Regan

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2014 Outback 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:2012 F-250 XLT, 6.7L Power Stroke diesel

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'll see how hot it gets this summer. One would think Keystone would address this issue at the factory.

Todd, DW Regan, DSS 15, DSD 12, DD 5

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users