• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Morrell

Morrell

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

I took my 2014 Outback 312bh to Four Seasons RV. in Wheatridge Co where I purchased it new for service. I was called by their GM and informed that someone stole it a few nights ago. Does anyone know if the dealer is liable? We are devastated, we loved that camper and had it up perfect for us. My insurance said the contents would be covered under my homeowners ($1,500 deductable) and the unit has a ($500 deductable) plus I would be getting the depreciated value of the trailer. I'm sure I can't replace it for what they will offer. I called the dealers insurance but no returned call yet. Anyone with helpful advice please let me know.

#2 Oregon_Camper

Oregon_Camper

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 17,873 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2015 Heartland Bighorn 3160
  • Tow Vehicle:2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

That is horrible!  Sorry to hear the bad news. 

Unfortunately, I think the dealership will not be accountable.  Think about it like this...what if you left you car at a dealership overnight...or a mall parking lot overnight....they wouldn't be responsible.  

Now, the dealership should offer you a SWEET deal on a replacement trailer and perhaps some other perks (50% off service for X years, free winterizing, etc...)

sml_gallery_535_64_2030.jpg

gallery_535_2497_5704.jpg

Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is now on our Blog Page  - RV With The Tanners

#3 mj1angier

mj1angier

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2017 KEYSTONE OUTBACK ULTRA-LITE 250URS
  • Tow Vehicle:Toy Tundra/ Ford F-250

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

At the very least I would try to get them to pony up both deductibles for you, all the time hinting that they may get it back from you when you get around to buying a new trailer...or not.

#4 The John

The John

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2003 Outback 21RS
  • Tow Vehicle:00 V10 F250 Crew cab short bed

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:51 PM

if you left the trailer with them, i would expect that they would be somewhat liable.... but I am not an attorney. 

I would do what the above posters recommended, bring this up with their GM, be polite and see what they will do.  If not, thats why you have insurance and start posting on social media....(or with a sign in front of their dealership on weekends).  

Hope it works out, you wont be whole once everything is settled, but I hope you are able to move forward. 

#5 KTMRacer

KTMRacer

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 295RE
  • Tow Vehicle:04 Silverado CC/SB Duramax

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

well,  many repair shops will have a disclaimer on any work order that states they are not responsible for theft or other collison damage while on their property.  That said,  I would expect them to work with you to find/replace it.  And even though they may state no repsonsibility,  if they were obviously negligent like no locking of facility at night, etc. etc.  they may still be liable.  But that's likely dependent on state laws and how good autornies are.

2011 Outback 295RE
2004.5 Silverado/Duramax/CC/SB/4x4
2004 Pace 7x14 Cargosport Toyhauler with living quarters 2001 KTM 400EXC
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Morrell

Morrell

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

UPDATE. My insurance covered the loss, less the deductible and depreciation and the dealers GM stepped up and sold me a 2017 312bh for the amount the insurance gave me. I am still working to get the contents replaced through my home owners. It's a pain but we are thrilled to have everything back to normal before the camping season starts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users