Outbacker RV Forum banner

Black Tank 101

72K views 100 replies 61 participants last post by  Anne3358 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think I've finally got this black tank thing figured out after lots of frustration and leftover odors.

I first started using nothing but a sewer hose to drain, that didn't work as the tank never seemed to drain completely and would always smell really bad the next time we went out, so I needed to do something.

Enter the flush king. I though this would solve the problem. The only thing was it took forever and lots of water to do the trick. I would spend 45 minutes flushing away and the tank still would have some "residue" in it. The kids would be in the truck and my wife sitting on the bumper patiently waiting for me to finish so we could hook up and go.

So my next step was to get a quickie flush, it was a bit of a pain to install, but it has really done the trick as far as cleaning the tank. I empty the tank and turn on the quickie flush and let it clean away while I do other things. After five minutes or so (y-guy turned me onto this) I close the flush king valve and let the tank fill up and then drain it. I now have a squeaky clean black tank.

To clean it even better, I've started using calgon water softener (got that tip from the thread on the GEO method). When I emptied the tank today and backfilled it, the water had all this scaly stuff in it which I am asuming is buildup coming off of the sides of the tank due to the water softener.

These few things have cut my black tank cleanup time by 3/4 compared to the flush king alone and produce a clean, odor free tank. We don't really do any dry camping, but one advantage of the quickie flush at a dump station would be it is pretty quick, a 2 or three minute flushing would be good enough to get the tank just about completely clean.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, want to elaborate on the Calgon method for those of us that didn't read that thread?

Thanks...

Is there such a thing as a squeeky clean black tank??

Steve

#4 ·
My sensors work great now. I still use tank treatment. I buy odorloss packets from camping world. It has no odor and is supposed to lubricate the valves too.

Here's the GEO method, I downloaded it off of RV.NET.

Everyone who owns an RV should be concerned with maintaining its wastewater tanks. Problems with wastewater tanks that can be avoided should be avoided. Wastewater tank repair is expensive. Due to health concerns, many service facilities will not work on wastewater tanks and lines until the tanks have been completely emptied and sanitized. This may be quite difficult when the tank(s) is in need of repair. So, common sense dictates that the tanks should be kept relatively clean at all times. Additionally, improper use of the wastewater tanks can lead to a build up of solid wastes, which in itself may cause the system to fail.

I’ve discovered very simple, effective, and inexpensive methods of maintaining my wastewater tanks in a relatively clean condition at all times. I developed these methods myself through my understanding of chemistry, physics, and biology with a smidgen of common sense thrown in for good measure. I also read my RV owner’s manual. Although we are not full time RVers we use our fifth wheel camper at least one weekend a month. We never use public bathing and toilet facilities. In other words, our wastewater tanks are fairly heavily used. Since I¡¦ve met a number of RVers who don’t seem to know how to maintain their wastewater tanks I thought many RVers would find my tips useful. If you have not been maintaining your tanks I believe you will be pleasantly surprised the first time you employ these tips. I do these things and they work.

1. DUMP A FULL TANK

When you are camping and your RV is connected to a sewer/septic intake, leave the drain valves closed until the tank is full and ready to dump. Dumping a full tank provides a sufficient quantity of water to flush solids from the tank. Leaving the drain valves open allows the water to drain off without flushing out solid waste. That solid waste will collect in the tank(s) and cause problems over time.

2. DUMP TANKS IN ORDER FROM DIRTIEST TO CLEANEST

In other words, dump the black (commode) water tank first, then dump the galley tank, then dump the shower and bathroom sink tank. This way you will be flushing out the dirtiest water with progressively cleaner water.

3. USE WATER SOFTENER

**Calgon Water Softener link**

This stuff is amazing and it works. Buy a couple of boxes of powdered water softener at the grocery store. You’ll find it located with or near the laundry detergent products. I prefer Calgon Water Softener because it dissolves quickly in water. Cheaper water softeners work just as well but dissolve more slowly. Dissolve two (2) cups of the water softener in a gallon of hot water. Then, pour the solution down the drain into the empty tank. Use two cups of softener for each wastewater tank in your RV. The tank’s drain valve should be closed otherwise the softened water will just drain out. Then use the tank(s) normally until it is full and drain it normally. Add a cup of laundry detergent to the black (commode) water tank at the same time. This will help clean the tank. The gray water tanks should already contain soap through normal use.

The water softener makes the solid waste let go from the sides of the tanks. If you’ve ever taken a shower in softened water you know that after rinsing the soap from your body your skin will feel slick. That’s because all the soap rinses away with soft water. Softened water also prevents soap scum from sticking in the tub. Get the connection? With softened water gunk washes away instead of sticking. The same thing applies to your RV¡¦s wastewater tanks.

I use one of those clear plastic elbow connectors to attach my sewer drain line to the wastewater outlet on my RV. It allows me to see how well things are progressing during a wastewater dump. Before I began using water softener regularly the black water tank’s water was brown, the galley tank’s water was brownish, and the bathroom tank’s water was white. The first time I added water softener to the tanks the water coming from the black water tank was actually black (not brown) and the kitchen tank’s water was also black (not brownish). The bathroom tank’s water remained white. That told me that the water softener had actually done what I had intended for it to do and made solid waste, which had been stuck to the interior of the tanks, let go and drain away. I added water softener to all the wastewater tanks for the next few dumps to be certain all the solid waste possible had been cleaned away. The wastewater only appeared black on the initial treatment. I now add water softener to each tank once after every few dumps to maintain the system.

Occasionally, I pour a gallon of liquid bleach into each tank to sanitize and disinfect them. I no longer use the blue toilet chemical because it isn’t necessary. I have no odors coming from my black water tank. Generic brand liquid bleach is cheap and very effective.

4. USE A WATER FILTER ON YOUR FRESH WATER INTAKE LINE

Most fresh water contains sediment. Sediment will accumulate in your wastewater tanks and your fresh water lines. It also tends to discolor your sinks, tub/shower, and commode. I use the disposable type and have found that they eventually fill up and begin restricting the fresh water flow resulting in low pressure. That’s how I know it’s time to get a new filter. It works, it’s cheap, it avoids problems, do it.

SOME OTHER THOUGHTS

-- I believe occasionally traveling with partially filled wastewater tanks that contain softened water promotes cleaning by agitating the water. The same goes for chlorine bleach.
-- I believe this process works faster and more efficiently during warm weather. However, I know it works well even during cool/cold weather.
-- I believe the process works best the longer the water softener remains in the tanks. So, I don’t add water softener during periods of heavy wastewater generation. I wait until I know we won’t be generating wastewater quickly so that the softened water remains in the tanks for several days before dumping.
-- I add a small amount of chlorine bleach to the fresh water tank twice a year to disinfect and sanitize the fresh water tank and fresh water lines. A weak chlorine bleach solution will not hurt you. However, it certainly makes the water taste bad. When we have chlorine in the fresh water system we use bottled water for drinking and cooking until the chlorine is gone.
-- My tanks are plastic and my pipes are PVC.
-- Don’t be afraid to use your tanks. Just use common sense about their care and maintenance.
-- These tips are inexpensive to do. Some of them don’t cost anything. You have nothing to lose in trying them and I encourage you to do so. I actually feel a certain amount of pride in the condition and cleanliness of both my waste and fresh water systems. Naturally, these tips make dumping a much more pleasant and sanitary procedure.
-- If you have odors in any of your water systems these procedures should eliminate them. Odors indicate a sanitary problem and degrade the enjoyment you derive from your RV.
-- When my RV is parked and not in use I place stoppers in my sink and tub drains. This allows the wastewater tanks to vent through the vent pipes to the outside instead of through the drains into the RV.

Mike

Reactions: Floridabaked57
#5 ·
My experiences are almost the same as Mikes, except I don't have a quickie flush.....yet. The calgon seems to help remarkably with odor, and the solids being released from the tank sides. I have also added a 1/2 cup of Tide to the tank also.

Tim

#8 ·
My routine: On leaving the campsite, I dump the black tank and the grey tank, no flushing. When we get home, I use a home-made wand thingey that blasts the inside of the black tank with hose water, and also fills the black tank back up. Usually the next day I take the trailer to the storage yard with the black tank full and sloshing around (a 10 miles drive) Then I dump again, fill with a couple of gallons of water, and a dose of blue stuff. So far so good- no smells. I'm going to pick up some of that water softener, though, just to try it out.

Kevin P.

#9 ·
Boy I learn something new everyday

Great info for us newbies. Water softner in the tank
who would have thought. Just printed the article.

I think I'm going to create a binder with some of this stuff, just to keep handy.

Ron

#10 ·
Parker Outbacker said:
Boy I learn something new everyday

Great info for us newbies. Water softner in the tank
who would have thought. Just printed the article.

I think I'm going to create a binder with some of this stuff, just to keep handy.

Ron
[snapback]36049[/snapback]​
Y-Guy had a nice binder when I bought his trailer. Think I've add another 50 pages to that already. Can't have too much information for the trailer...

#11 ·
I guess I keep it too simple:
As I leave the campsite, I dump my tanks, pour in some tank deodorant mixed in a gallon of water, let it slosh around on the way home, then open the tanks and dump that. (we live very isolated
) all the solids and such just come out.
We've only been on 3 or 4 trips with it and so far, no odors or problems. I think if I end up having to do one, I'd prob look at that new Tornado flush thing. or stick with quickie flush.
Mark

#12 ·
This forum thread is brilliant. Is there any way to pin it so we can access it quickly? This subject comes up all the time and it almost always comes back to these techniques.

Reverie

#14 ·
camping479 said:
.........After five minutes or so (y-guy turned me onto this) I close the flush king valve and let the tank fill up and then drain it. I now have a squeaky clean black tank.
[snapback]13525[/snapback]​
I have been doing this too, but I just wanted to add that when my dealer put in my quickie flush he warned me not to close the valve while the water is on as it possibly could burst the tank since the toilet valve is pretty air tight. What I have been doing is I bring a short dowel stick and open the toilet valve and put it in so air can come out while I fill it up.
Just don’t go away while this is running..... it fills fairly quick!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
California Jim said:
Actually your black tank is vented through the roof, so no need to prop open the toilet
But you do need to keep an eye on it lest you forget you're filling the tank. I actually got distracted once and almost made a mess

[snapback]36102[/snapback]​
Hmmm.... ok, good to know!
I was just going by what the dealer told me... go figure.

Thats why I love this forum!

Thanks California Jim

#19 ·
Great timing. I was at WalMart today and picked up one of those wand thingies in the RV section that I sprayed out my tank with. It sprays in a 360 degree. First time I've done that. Very lil if any reside came out. I was pleased. Like I said earlier, I usually just empty at exit the campground, pour a lil bit o tank deo mixed in a gallon h20 back in, let it slosh around on way home, then drain black tank again.
One of those flush things would be kewl though.

#21 ·
WOW!! There's an idea. Someone in your house must have worked as a waiter/waitress. I was a waiter in college, that's how we cleaned burnt coffee pots. Did you add salt with the ice, then jiggle while goin down the road?

#23 ·
Dude, can't speak for everyone else, but ain't no feces in my tank. #1's only.

#24 ·
Reverie said:
This forum thread is brilliant. Is there any way to pin it so we can access it quickly? This subject comes up all the time and it almost always comes back to these techniques.

Reverie
[snapback]36072[/snapback]​
Had any problems with the Decals peeling,Cracking and the color Graphics and paint fading or changing colors?

#25 ·
Hi all. I'm new here and just wanted to make a suggestion. Baking soda is an excellent water softener and much cheaper than Calgon. Try it in the dishwater next time you do dishes and you'll see what I mean.

Also, for a great info on sewage stuff and a cheap ingenious way to clean your black tank, see this link:
http://www.phrannie.org/macerator.html

Blessings,
Debbie K.

#26 ·
<We have camped in the past for four years with coleman niagara pop-up to skamper then to Outback 28 BHS - My husband was so amazed by the manufacturer demonstration and the durablity of the Outback we traded in and love it.

But the main issue we have was the black tank smell. My husband used the wand everytime we dumped and we used the deordorant packets. But this still did not do the job. It was embarrassing to let anyone other then my family use our bathroom.

Mike, thanks for the ideas we just had the king flush installed at Camping World and we will try the calgon water softner.

Annette and Don Messner
Pennsylvania

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.