Outback RV Owners Forum: Infrared Vs. Blue Flame Propane Heater - Outback RV Owners Forum

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Infrared Vs. Blue Flame Propane Heater anyone with experience?

#1 User is offline   Moosegut 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 1,525

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:21 AM

I'm researching a propane heater as a heat source. I have electric baseboard heat in my cottage in PA and I want to install a propane heater so when I get there in the cold months I can just flick the switch to get things going. It is REALLY cold when we get there. The water is turned off and the lines drained in October and it goes back on in April, so it's really a three season cottage but we'll use it year round. The baseboard heat does fine but it takes a long time to heat up. Plus, you'll find my dead body in the Spring if the electricity goes out. :cold:

After reading, I get sold on the infrared and then I read some more about the blue flame. I get sold on the blue flame and then I read more about the infrared. It's a vicious circle. The future portends a vent free gas stove, but for now the heater is my option.

It's a small cottage - less than 800 square feet I want to heat - so a 26,000 to 30,000 BTU heater will heat the whole cottage. I'll let the heat waft up the stairs for the bedrooms. Any pros or cons either way from those who've used either type?

Scott
'06 28 RSDS
'01 Ford F-150 Super Crew, Lariat
Honda EU3000is generator
For God so loved the world . . .

#2 User is offline   GarethsDad 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: KOALA Club Charter Member
  • Member No.: 5,244
  • Outback/SOB:03 25RSS
  • Tow Vehicle:01 F350 SC LB 4X4 7.3l PSD

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:42 AM

I work for a Plumbing and Heating contractor and my findings are that the infrared is more of a directional heat as you need to be in front of or near the red zone to feel the heat and that it does not heat out side of that zone vary well. The blue flame type of heaters will heat the side of the room that it is installed on then warm the ceiling then start to convect to the intire room. We install more of the blue flame type of heaters in garages and will heat up a two bay garage in about 20 minutes. James
2001 F350 SuperCrew 4X4 7.3l TD
2003 25RS-S Equal-i-zer/ActivatorIII/Atwood 3500#
Yamaha ef2600c w/lp conversion/ 2 exide 145 gc2 6 volt batteries/LED conversion
Central New York
http://www.macshilohs.com

#3 User is offline   bill_pfaff 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • Member No.: 875

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

I'm with James.

Infrared is interesting but it pretty much works only if you are immobile and sitting directly in line with it. Kind of like the mirrors on a tractor trailer. If you can't see the mirrors he can't see you. If you can't see the infrared element it can't heat you.

It doesn't really heat the air so I don't think your idea of letting the heat migrate upstairs is going to work.

My 2 cents.
Bill
2005 25RSS TV 2004 Suburban 5300 W/3.73 rear
Finally got my Prodigy and my Reese Strait-Line 1200 w/dual cam sway control

Life is a set of realities. How you manage those realities determines your quality of life.

#4 User is offline   Ghosty 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 716
  • Outback/SOB:2009 OPEN RANGE 335BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 CHEV SILVERADO 2500HD 6.6L

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:00 AM

View PostGarethsDad, on Nov 8 2007, 04:42 AM, said:

I work for a Plumbing and Heating contractor and my findings are that the infrared is more of a directional heat as you need to be in front of or near the red zone to feel the heat and that it does not heat out side of that zone vary well. The blue flame type of heaters will heat the side of the room that it is installed on then warm the ceiling then start to convect to the intire room. We install more of the blue flame type of heaters in garages and will heat up a two bay garage in about 20 minutes. James

X2

Infrared is more of a Direct Fire wepaon (so to speak) -- you need to be in front of it to reap its greatest benefits...

With the Blue Flame its more of an AREA type heater -- thats what I would go with

.02c
2009 OPEN RANGE 335BHS (former 2005 23RS OUTBACK)

2008 Chev Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.6L DURAMAX Diesel LB

2*85W Kyocera solar panels. 4 TROJAN 6V (2/125 + 2/145), 2002 Harley Electra Glide,

me, DW, b8, g14

Retired Army LTC.

#5 User is offline   Doxie-Doglover-Too 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 4,539

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:39 AM

I worked in Propane for several years and we have used the SR30 for last 5 years in our home. My kitchen range is propane and so we piped the heater with it ( with it's own shut off of course). We have the blower on it too. I set it by the dining table and have the ceiling fan on above the table in reverse. The heater has thermostat. WE HAVE LOVED THIS METHOD OF HEAT for the last 5 years, it's fast and when you are cold, it's like standing in front of a fireplace. It does fantastic job of heating the two rooms (dining and living rooms).We recently had central heat/air installed and will now use the propane heater only if we have power outage. Even without the blower, it's puts out nice heat.
http://www.gas-space...ree-heater.html
2012 Cougar 31SQBWE- 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 5.9 Cummins 4x4- Prodigy Brake Control- Equalizer Hitch-
Electric Jack- 2 Honda Generators -Doxiedoglover@live.com Life Is What YOU Make It.........

#6 User is offline   map guy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 4,324

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

Infrared is a object heating system. Example I experienced was shop workstations with overhead IR heaters -worked ok if you stayed in one place for awhile.

The blue flame is an area heater. Currently have a Big Buddy heater for emergency power outages and cold weather RV boondock camping during awake hours.

The blue flame type heaters do have the risk of oxygen depletion due to their vent-less design. Be aware of this - use a CO monitor and a unit with low oxygen shut down system. Low oxy shut down system does increase the cost but in cold/very cold weather we tend to eliminate any source that could be acting as a vent. These type heaters work better when a fan is used to circulate air due to the way they heat that causes a large temperature stratification differential between floor and ceiling temperature. Using a fan helps moderate the temperature differential between the floor and ceiling.

IMO forget about the IR heater for this application as it won't give you the desired effects.

Map Guy
Marc, Kellie and Quentin
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD EC SB Duramax Allison
A new FW in the negotiation stage!
KTM 525 EXC -Motorcycle exploring throughout the PNW
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 5,971
  • Outback/SOB:Thor Motorcoach Astoria 3772 DP

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

View Postmap guy, on Nov 8 2007, 07:14 PM, said:

IMO forget about the IR heater for this application as it won't give you the desired effects.

Map Guy

X2
DT - Me, DW (13 Years and HS Sweetheart), DD (7), DD (6), DD (3), DS (1) and Marley (Cockapoo)
2009 Astoria 3772 39' DP - Cummins / Allison / Freightliner
Towing: 2011 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ -or- 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Previous Setup: 2008 Outback Sydney 32BHDS / 2008 F350 / ProPride 3P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   N7OQ 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 2,251
  • Outback/SOB:2006 Outback 23rs
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Chevy Duramax/Allison Crew Cab

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

IR only heats the things it is directed at and will not heat the air around it. I would think a blue flame would be much better.
Bill
2006 Outback 23RS
2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison Transmission The most powerful, longest lasting truck in the world
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Moosegut 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:41 AM

Figured I'd give an update. I decided to go with a small vent free gas stove. I did a lot of searching and every review I read about the Procom/Charmglow (same manufacturer) stove was a rave. So, rather than spend $250.00 on a heater that I would later replace with a gas stove, I figured I might as well spend $300.00 for a gas stove that I could use for as long as I want and then replace it with a higher end stove down the road.

I was going to buy from Northern Tool where the price was $299.00 - but shipping was $125.00. Found the same stove at Home Depot for $299.00 - shipping included. Then, I checked local stores and found ONE a few towns over. In the store it was $236.00 so I raced over to buy it. Seems they are flying off the shelves as every local store I called said they had 6 or 8 or 5, but they were all sold out.

I installed it the last week of November and love it. Heats the whole cottage and it actually looks very nice. I don't know that I'll have to replace it for a $1500.00 jobby. We'll see. It went down to 15 degrees over night on Friday and on Saturday morning I was nice and toasty sitting in front of it reading the paper, drinking my coffee.

If anyone needs some heat with a little ambiance for a rec room or someplace, I highly recommend it. It says it will heat up to 1000 square feet. It heated the cottage and it's about 750 square feet. The kitchen and bathroom at the far end were not toasty - until I started up a fan to circulate the air down to them.

Posted Image
'06 28 RSDS
Honda EU3000is generator

#10 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:09 AM

Very nice and sounds like you made a good choice! how is the moisture buildup in the cottage? i heard the vent free units expell a lot of moisture into the room.
DT - Me, DW (13 Years and HS Sweetheart), DD (7), DD (6), DD (3), DS (1) and Marley (Cockapoo)

#11 User is offline   'Ohana 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 5,518

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:17 AM

The stove looks good and I wish you all the luck. We changed from a wood type stove to a gas one a couple of years ago and really like having to just flip the switch and have instant heat thumbright .

Ed
Ed, Hope, DD Diana(16), DDog Cole - German Shepherd born 7/13/10, DKitten Pepper - black domestic kitty adopted from SPCA
2010 295re Moonlight
2008 F350 Super Duty, Lariat, Super Crew, 6.4 PSD, 3.73 Rear, Equal-i-zer
'Ohana is Hawaiian for family and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.

#12 User is offline   Moosegut 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:37 AM

View PostSayonara, on Dec 12 2007, 08:09 AM, said:

Very nice and sounds like you made a good choice! how is the moisture buildup in the cottage? i heard the vent free units expell a lot of moisture into the room.

I didn't see any problems with condensation, though I know with vent-free it can be a problem and they suggest opening vents or windows. This cottage was built at the turn of the century and the wind whistles through in so many places that moisture build up is the least of my concerns. :wacko: I made a conscious decision though, not to clamp down on the gaps - for that very reason. I know, I'm losing heat but I feel more comfortable knowing that I don't have to worry about moisture or oxygen depletion. I'll only be using it for several weekends through the winter.
'06 28 RSDS
Honda EU3000is generator

#13 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:34 AM

Just a Moderators Moderator note.... (yes its a self-given title, someone needs to moderate the moderators)

Can we put this in our Home Improvement section?

#14 User is offline   Oregon_Camper 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 535
  • Outback/SOB:2010 Outback 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:13 PM

View PostSayonara, on Dec 12 2007, 08:34 AM, said:

Just a Moderators Moderator note.... (yes its a self-given title, someone needs to moderate the moderators)

Can we put this in our Home Improvement section?

Oh...we get to make up our own titles now....let me see??? :dunno:

#15 User is offline   Lou 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 11,401

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

View Postmap guy, on 08 November 2007 - 08:14 PM, said:

Infrared is a object heating system. Example I experienced was shop workstations with overhead IR heaters -worked ok if you stayed in one place for awhile.

The blue flame is an area heater. Currently have a Big Buddy heater for emergency power outages and cold weather RV boondock camping during awake hours.

The blue flame type heaters do have the risk of oxygen depletion due to their vent-less design. Be aware of this - use a CO monitor and a unit with low oxygen shut down system. Low oxy shut down system does increase the cost but in cold/very cold weather we tend to eliminate any source that could be acting as a vent. These type heaters work better when a fan is used to circulate air due to the way they heat that causes a large temperature stratification differential between floor and ceiling temperature. Using a fan helps moderate the temperature differential between the floor and ceiling.

Map Guy

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users