• Pip
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 59
  • Outback/SOB:Outback Loft 27L
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Chevy Avalanche 2500

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

View PostRob_G, on Jan 24 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

CONGRATS ON THE NEW TT!!

I saw your other post on the loft being discontinued. That's a shame.

It's still a great TT though so have fun and enjoy!

Thanks, just hope for some good luck with quality. The walk through went ok, but the first time out tells a lot.

Still haven't confirmed the dealers statements, we'll see if its true or not about the stop in production.

#17 User is offline   kingpin 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPip
  • Member No.: 8,586

Post icon  Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

View Postmhbandy, on Jan 19 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

I am really close to finalizing a purchase for an Ouback Loft. I have read all the posts I could find in regards to this camper but am really looking to current owners of the Loft to say whether this camper met their expectations or not. I have been in contact with "Outback Loft" and he has told me a great deal but am looking for more comments if I can get them. I know a lot of you do not like the design but the camper would fit our needs both currently and in the future. I am not new to the Outback line as I bought a 26rs back in 2002 and currently still own it. I love this site even if I don't post, I have checked it on and off through the years and many of the posts have helped a situation from time to time. So without further ado, please let me know how you feel and thanks for the response.

well it looks like you made the deal. i love my loft.get used to alot of people coming to campsite to ask questions.you will get to meet some nice people. i have had some issues with mine due to
quaility control at the factory. i purchaced mine from a dealer about 300 miles away and did not
like the answers i got from them. so i contacted keystone direct and they had me take it to a repair
center closer to me. it has been there for two months. they say it is done and blame keystone for
sending the wrong parts numerious times and the holiday shutdown for the delay. i think you made a
good decision to purchace one. however check it over good and if you find any issues make sure
you are firm on keystone fixing them no matter how small they seem. dont take no for an answer.
best wishes
dave

#18 User is offline   Oregon_Camper 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 535
  • Outback/SOB:2010 Outback 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

View Postkingpin, on Jan 27 2009, 02:54 PM, said:

View Postmhbandy, on Jan 19 2009, 10:42 PM, said:

I am really close to finalizing a purchase for an Ouback Loft. I have read all the posts I could find in regards to this camper but am really looking to current owners of the Loft to say whether this camper met their expectations or not. I have been in contact with "Outback Loft" and he has told me a great deal but am looking for more comments if I can get them. I know a lot of you do not like the design but the camper would fit our needs both currently and in the future. I am not new to the Outback line as I bought a 26rs back in 2002 and currently still own it. I love this site even if I don't post, I have checked it on and off through the years and many of the posts have helped a situation from time to time. So without further ado, please let me know how you feel and thanks for the response.

well it looks like you made the deal. i love my loft.get used to alot of people coming to campsite to ask questions.you will get to meet some nice people. i have had some issues with mine due to
quaility control at the factory. i purchaced mine from a dealer about 300 miles away and did not
like the answers i got from them. so i contacted keystone direct and they had me take it to a repair
center closer to me. it has been there for two months. they say it is done and blame keystone for
sending the wrong parts numerious times and the holiday shutdown for the delay. i think you made a
good decision to purchace one. however check it over good and if you find any issues make sure
you are firm on keystone fixing them no matter how small they seem. dont take no for an answer.
best wishes
dave

Perhaps you could list out the major issues you had, so the next person can look for those problems during their PDI.

#19 User is offline   kingpin 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:02 PM

my ramp door was installed crooked in the opening and leaked water,several of the graphics were put on crooked,some of the inside trim was defective,the kitchen counter top had blemeshes,the counter top beside the couch was defective,the fresh water tank leaked when full,the slide switch hole was cut to big and was loose,two of the couch screw covers were missing,and some of the border was unlevel. some of these may seem unimportant but when buying new i expect to recieve a product free of defects and poor workmanship. as i stated in an earlier posting these things were replaced or repaired at a shop and paid for by keystone but i have yet to inspect the final product. i have been assured i will be satisifed. i forgot the bathroom door frame was crooked and there was a tear in one of the loft panel screens

#20 User is offline   Oregon_Camper 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 535
  • Outback/SOB:2010 Outback 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Ford F-350 6.4L Diesel

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

View Postkingpin, on Jan 27 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

my ramp door was installed crooked in the opening and leaked water,several of the graphics were put on crooked,some of the inside trim was defective,the kitchen counter top had blemeshes,the counter top beside the couch was defective,the fresh water tank leaked when full,the slide switch hole was cut to big and was loose,two of the couch screw covers were missing,and some of the border was unlevel. some of these may seem unimportant but when buying new i expect to recieve a product free of defects and poor workmanship. as i stated in an earlier posting these things were replaced or repaired at a shop and paid for by keystone but i have yet to inspect the final product. i have been assured i will be satisifed. i forgot the bathroom door frame was crooked and there was a tear in one of the loft panel screens

WOW!!! That is horrible. Guess Quality Control was on vacation the week your Outback was built.

#21 User is offline   mhbandy 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

View Postkingpin, on Jan 27 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

Kingpin, I did notice the graphics could have been a bit better on the outside of mine but not a major issue with me. However I was concerned about the ramp door leaking although they said they performed a leak test on the camper and it passed. I thought there should be a rain gutter over top of the ramp door like the ones they put on top of the bike door in the bunk models. I will definately be looking for any leaks as it is a priority.

Where was the freshwater tank leaking from when full? Hopefully on the outside so it didn't hurt anything on the inside. Also, where exactly is that tank located?

Lastly, you, "newloftowner", "outback loft" and myself are the only lofts I have found on this site which correlates with the camper model survey. I have you all listed on my friends list and hopefully we can stay in touch with any issues that might affect the other lofts.

#22 User is offline   kingpin 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

View Postmhbandy, on Jan 27 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

Kingpin, I did notice the graphics could have been a bit better on the outside of mine but not a major issue with me. However I was concerned about the ramp door leaking although they said they performed a leak test on the camper and it passed. I thought there should be a rain gutter over top of the ramp door like the ones they put on top of the bike door in the bunk models. I will definately be looking for any leaks as it is a priority.

Where was the freshwater tank leaking from when full? Hopefully on the outside so it didn't hurt anything on the inside. Also, where exactly is that tank located?

Lastly, you, "newloftowner", "outback loft" and myself are the only lofts I have found on this site which correlates with the camper model survey. I have you all listed on my friends list and hopefully we can stay in touch with any issues that might affect the other lofts.

well if the graphics are crooked on the front door side it may bother you later when every time you walk up to it and see it and remember how much you paid. i am not sure where the fresh water was leaking but it dripped out of the belly. the tank is under the floor in the front of the loft. the 3 owners you listed not including yourself are the only ones i am aware of. i will enjoy keeping in touch as well

#23 User is offline   mhbandy 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

View Postkingpin, on Jan 28 2009, 10:50 AM, said:

View Postmhbandy, on Jan 27 2009, 10:01 PM, said:

well if the graphics are crooked on the front door side it may bother you later when every time you walk up to it and see it and remember how much you paid. i am not sure where the fresh water was leaking but it dripped out of the belly. the tank is under the floor in the front of the loft. the 3 owners you listed not including yourself are the only ones i am aware of. i will enjoy keeping in touch as well

I knew it must be somewhere up front because they said I probably want to fill the water tank to add more weight to the tongue if I carry a motorcycle in the garage. The only problem being we are fairly close to the weight rating and don't want to go any heavier than necessary. Just hoping for no leaks in either the tanks or from rainwater and can't wait for camping season.

#24 User is offline   Starbuc71 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 8,897

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

Hi all, we also are new owners of a Outback loft. We purchased ours back at the end of November and love it. As stated inmy other post under new members "from sunny Florida" I stated i heard a lot of negative reviews about the loft. We have 2 small children and the loft is a great place for them or us to retreat to. We actually have only had it out once so far but will be planning a trip to Orlando in March.
I have only noticed a few things I didn't like about the loft so far.
1. The actual putting the loft down is a pain. They could have put the latches on the outside of the camper so you didn't have to crawl on your stomach on th inside floor to reach the back latches
2. The could have made the edge of the roof of the loft section actually go over the edge of the camper roof instead of just lying ontop of each other with a rubber gasket. We all know over time that gasket will rot out an eventually leak
3. Privacy canvas for the loft area not just tinted plastic and an A/C vent in the loft
3. I would have prefered bigger tires. The only thing i liked about my starcraft that we traded wwas the huge 15" off road tired that were stock on the travel star
4. And last but not least the toy hauler door. I was sooooooo upset to get our new trailer home only to see that our golf cart would not fit inside the 50" door width. Low and behold I had to sell the golf cart. I wish there was a rear wider door?ramp located on the back.

I know there will never be a perfect trailer to fit everyones needs, but over all we are really impressed with our loft. What is this I hear that Keystone is discontinuing the loft? Please let me know if anyone has info.

Dave

#25 User is offline   prevish gang 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1,946

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

Nevermind
Don, Darlene and 4 boys and 4 dogs, Baby, Copper, Gracie and Lexie

2006 Dodge Megacab 5.9L Turbo Cummins Diesel
Prodigy Brake Controller
2003 25RSS-For Sale SOLD

2006 Challenger 29RKP 5er

#26 User is offline   mhbandy 

• Pip

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

View PostStarbuc71, on Jan 28 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

Hi all, we also are new owners of a Outback loft. We purchased ours back at the end of November and love it. As stated inmy other post under new members "from sunny Florida" I stated i heard a lot of negative reviews about the loft. We have 2 small children and the loft is a great place for them or us to retreat to. We actually have only had it out once so far but will be planning a trip to Orlando in March.
1. The actual putting the loft down is a pain. They could have put the latches on the outside of the camper so you didn't have to crawl on your stomach on th inside floor to reach the back latches
2. The could have made the edge of the roof of the loft section actually go over the edge of the camper roof instead of just lying ontop of each other with a rubber gasket. We all know over time that gasket will rot out an eventually leak
3. Privacy canvas for the loft area not just tinted plastic and an A/C vent in the loft
3. I would have prefered bigger tires. The only thing i liked about my starcraft that we traded wwas the huge 15" off road tired that were stock on the travel star
4. And last but not least the toy hauler door. I was sooooooo upset to get our new trailer home only to see that our golf cart would not fit inside the 50" door width. Low and behold I had to sell the golf cart. I wish there was a rear wider door?ramp located on the back.

I know there will never be a perfect trailer to fit everyones needs, but over all we are really impressed with our loft. What is this I hear that Keystone is discontinuing the loft? Please let me know if anyone has info.

Dave

I already figured a few of those out through posts or nosing around the camper. As far as the latches go, they couldn't put them on the outside in the back or you would have to have an 8ft ladder with you but I understand that will be a pain. Luckily I have a young skinny kid that should be able to take care of that for me. The private canvas would be good, but I thought I would just throw on a spring loaded curtain rod with lightweight curtains for privacy because I probably will have at least two people sleeping up there. I also agree with your larger tire size opinion, I do think they missed the boat there as well. And finally, I probably will put a fan at the bottom of the stairs to pump air conditioning up there, I'm sure it will be a hot spot. It would also be nice to have an outlet up there, not sure why that would have been a big deal as well as a heat vent. Luckily the garage door is big enough for my motorcycle but will have to angle it in as it is not quite deep enough. Found enough posts indicating this shouldn't be a huge issue.

That being said, my kids are older and will be out of the house before this thing is paid off so I needed a camper that fits my needs now and later so another bunk model didn't make sense. I like everything about the layout of this camper but I will be losing a lot of under dinette and closet space. Hopefully we can adjust to that part. Just received another foot of snow up here, second snowiest January on record and all I can think about is camping. Heading down to Florida in March to pick up our 26rs and bring it home to trade it in, 6 weeks to go, then hopefully camping in early May.

#27 User is offline   Starbuc71 

• PipPip

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:41 PM

One thing I did notice when first looking at the lofts were that all of them have had a ton of people walk through them. I live near Tampa bay in FL and my nearest Keystone dealer was almost 100 miles away. They has (2) lofts on the lot. The first one we looked at the door shock was ripped from the trailer, the salesman said a young child spilled thier drink cup on the rear bed and stained it, and the carpet on the stairs was so matted and dirty I felt like I was in a used camper. Low and behold, they did not want to take any off the price. I later traveled 300 miles to Tallahasse and purchased our loft there. They also had (2) units. One was set up in front with the usual lawn chairs, artificial turf, plants and the whole 9 yards. Again, this trailer was walked through so much it was used. The salesman was so cool, he gave me the brand spanking new loft that NOBODY even walked in yet. I had to take all the plastic off the bed, couch and loft cushions myself. I really believe that is the reson so many people have problems with unique units like a loft because most people don't have respect for items they don't own. Advise for people purchasing especially a loft, see if they have a new unit out back that is not their main display.

#28 User is offline   outback loft 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: KOALA Club Charter Member
  • Member No.: 8,408

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

View Postmhbandy, on Jan 29 2009, 07:23 AM, said:

Dave

I already figured a few of those out through posts or nosing around the camper. As far as the latches go, they couldn't put them on the outside in the back or you would have to have an 8ft ladder with you but I understand that will be a pain. Luckily I have a young skinny kid that should be able to take care of that for me. The private canvas would be good, but I thought I would just throw on a spring loaded curtain rod with lightweight curtains for privacy because I probably will have at least two people sleeping up there. I also agree with your larger tire size opinion, I do think they missed the boat there as well. And finally, I probably will put a fan at the bottom of the stairs to pump air conditioning up there, I'm sure it will be a hot spot. It would also be nice to have an outlet up there, not sure why that would have been a big deal as well as a heat vent. Luckily the garage door is big enough for my motorcycle but will have to angle it in as it is not quite deep enough. Found enough posts indicating this shouldn't be a huge issue.

That being said, my kids are older and will be out of the house before this thing is paid off so I needed a camper that fits my needs now and later so another bunk model didn't make sense. I like everything about the layout of this camper but I will be losing a lot of under dinette and closet space. Hopefully we can adjust to that part. Just received another foot of snow up here, second snowiest January on record and all I can think about is camping. Heading down to Florida in March to pick up our 26rs and bring it home to trade it in, 6 weeks to go, then hopefully camping in early May.

I have found with my loft that privacy curtains would be nice up there, but with it being just me I usually just fall asleep up there with the tv on, so the curtain is really unnecessary. The latches are a royal pain, especially when I have installed a door at the top of the opening to keep the heat loss to a minimum.
Posted Image
The larger tires are nicer, but the 14's have treated me well, even when towing it out on the beach with 12 pounds of air in them. I may put an a/c duct up there, since it is right in the huge dead space where the loft motor is anyway. But i have found that in the summer with all the windows open up there it is actually very cool and maybe not need a/c. As far as the garage door goes, I have a piece of versatex pvc stool material that I have put over the top of the door, I have not had any leaks there, but it is asking for it. And the garage is plenty big for me, since I have one atv, but dont take it with me anywhere, and just use the garage for storing all me gear for the campground. The snow on the ground does not mean you need to stop camping. I have been out when it was snowing and below zero overnight temps with the loft.
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Starbuc71 

• PipPip

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

View Postoutback loft, on Jan 29 2009, 08:48 PM, said:

Dave

I have found with my loft that privacy curtains would be nice up there, but with it being just me I usually just fall asleep up there with the tv on, so the curtain is really unnecessary. The latches are a royal pain, especially when I have installed a door at the top of the opening to keep the heat loss to a minimum.
Posted Image
The larger tires are nicer, but the 14's have treated me well, even when towing it out on the beach with 12 pounds of air in them. I may put an a/c duct up there, since it is right in the huge dead space where the loft motor is anyway. But i have found that in the summer with all the windows open up there it is actually very cool and maybe not need a/c. As far as the garage door goes, I have a piece of versatex pvc stool material that I have put over the top of the door, I have not had any leaks there, but it is asking for it. And the garage is plenty big for me, since I have one atv, but dont take it with me anywhere, and just use the garage for storing all me gear for the campground. The snow on the ground does not mean you need to stop camping. I have been out when it was snowing and below zero overnight temps with the loft.
Posted Image

Did your loft come stock with those rims? I hate my regular white wagon wheel style and would love to get a set of alloys. The best part of my starcraft was the Alloy rims. Also, did you Tee off your A/C duct hose in the bathroom cabinet and istall a round duct near the loft motor? That's what I was thinking to do.

#30 User is offline   outback loft 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: KOALA Club Charter Member
  • Member No.: 8,408

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

View PostStarbuc71, on Jan 29 2009, 08:53 PM, said:

View Postoutback loft, on Jan 29 2009, 08:48 PM, said:

Dave

Posted Image
Posted Image

Did your loft come stock with those rims? I hate my regular white wagon wheel style and would love to get a set of alloys. The best part of my starcraft was the Alloy rims. Also, did you Tee off your A/C duct hose in the bathroom cabinet and istall a round duct near the loft motor? That's what I was thinking to do.

No my loft had the white wagon wheels as well. I took the alloys off my old trailer and swapped them to the loft. I have not yet installed the a/c duct in the loft, but, the one that is going through the bathroom, is actually right there behind the up/down switch for the loft, so it is a fairly easy mod to do.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users