Outback RV Owners Forum: Corrugated Plastic Underbelly - Outback RV Owners Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Corrugated Plastic Underbelly

#1 User is offline   fun4five 

• Pip
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 9,613

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

I've been looking at all of these posts for a couple of months and almost all of the information I have needed is already there, but on my last trip I lost the underbelly from the front of my trailer all the wqay back to the axels. Does anybody know where I can find this material to replace it?
04' 28BHS

#2 User is offline   SDCampers 

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 8,599

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

I had half of mine replaced at the dealer under warranty and they said they get it in a big roll. I don't know if they get it from Keystone or some other source.
Posted Image
Rapid City, SD
2009 Outback 23RS
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7

#3 User is offline   Tyvekcat 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 6,183
  • Outback/SOB:'07 21RS
  • Tow Vehicle:'05 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

View Postfun4five, on Jul 7 2009, 04:29 PM, said:

I've been looking at all of these posts for a couple of months and almost all of the information I have needed is already there, but on my last trip I lost the underbelly from the front of my trailer all the wqay back to the axels. Does anybody know where I can find this material to replace it?

yes, do you have one of those craft stores around? Like here in Virginia we have a chain craft store called Michaels. They have the plastic corrugated stuff there. Its near the poster boards. They use that stuff to make signs, like for campaigns and yard sale signs.
I use it for targets :)
I have a link somewhere where you can buy it online, but you shouldn't have to. take a small piece to a crafts store and they will hook you up.

I have been putting 2" x 3" by 8' across the bottom inside the frame and cleaning up the wiring and plastic pipes under there. I use fender washers with a Phillips head screw to hold it up across the bottom. I call that area under the floor inside that plastic cover the 'crawl space'.
Then when I need to get to a section under there, I just take the screws out for that section only and not the whole cover down.

If you seal it along the edges with black silicon, it keeps the mice and spiders out too.

I will see if I have that link.
Git-R-done :)
Thanks
Rob, Chelle & Natasha

"For my next trick, I will use this Outback to make a pile of Money disappear."
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   California Jim 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 63
  • Outback/SOB:2004 28BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 K2500 Suburban

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it's an industry standard thing that any RV realer can get for you.

#5 User is offline   fun4five 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 9,613

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Thanks, for all of the quick reply's. We do have a Micheals here I will look into that.
04' 28BHS

#6 User is offline   RLP14 

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 9,663
  • Outback/SOB:2005 28BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2003 Ford E-150, 5.4L, 4.10 gears, Auburn LSD

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

View Postfun4five, on Jul 7 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

Thanks, for all of the quick reply's. We do have a Micheals here I will look into that.

I have bought coroplast (corrugated plastic) in 4' x 8' sheets at a sign business. They had a wide variety of colors too. I wanted it for a guinea pig cage. I only paid about $17.00 because it wasn't for a sign. I was told that if it's for a project other than a sign I can have it for less than 1/2 the price.

Hope this helps.
Helen

Richard, Helen and the boys, Matthew 5, and Nathan 3.
2005 Outback 28BHS
2003 Ford E-150 Chateau, 5.4L, 4.10 gears, Auburn limited slip.
Mods, camping pictures and more!

Posted Image Posted Image
"C" is for Camp!

#7 User is offline   Tangooutback 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10,632

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

I am wondering if anyone ever thought about replacing this flimsy material with the easily available Lauan 1/8" plywood? of course you'd have to paint or waterproof it. But it is likely to be much better in term of mechanical integrity.

#8 User is offline   Nathan 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Honored Member
  • Member No.: 4,239
  • Outback/SOB:Rockwood Minilite 2306
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:52 AM

View PostTangooutback, on 29 April 2010 - 11:53 PM, said:

I am wondering if anyone ever thought about replacing this flimsy material with the easily available Lauan 1/8" plywood? of course you'd have to paint or waterproof it. But it is likely to be much better in term of mechanical integrity.

Our 5'er has rigid plastic panels for the underbody. The only issues I see with wood are poor weather performance and weight.
Nathan
DW / DS - '03 / DD - '06
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Previous Combos:
Winstar / Coleman Cheyenne - F150 / OB 28RSDS - F350 / OB 28RSDS - F350 / Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS

#9 User is offline   Iowa Camper 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 12,298

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

View Postfun4five, on 07 July 2009 - 03:29 PM, said:

I lost mine this past month as well. I noticed it was sagging after I took it out of storage and the plastic was ripping from the screws... almost like there was a heavy weight on the plastic. I repaired it with 6mm 4x8 plastic sheets from Menard and tripled the number of self tapping screws. So does anyone know if there is a water problem that is letting water into the space to cause the sag? I know the water tank is not the source.

Just to be safe, I polked holes in the center front and aft of the water tank.

28BH

#10 User is offline   BoaterDan 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Member No.: 1,232

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

View PostIowa Camper, on 13 June 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

I lost mine this past month as well. I noticed it was sagging after I took it out of storage and the plastic was ripping from the screws... almost like there was a heavy weight on the plastic. I repaired it with 6mm 4x8 plastic sheets from Menard and tripled the number of self tapping screws. So does anyone know if there is a water problem that is letting water into the space to cause the sag? I know the water tank is not the source.

Just to be safe, I polked holes in the center front and aft of the water tank.

Yep, that's how I discovered my leak. Never noticed the water loss with 50 gallons to start with, so don't be too sure. I finally poked a hole in the big bulge and got wet.
Dan & Lisa + Elijah, Noah, Danielle, Trent
2006 Outback 31RQS, Reese Dual-Cam
1999 K2500 Suburban SLT, 7.4L, 4.10, Prodigy

#11 User is offline   Scoutr2 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 2,630
  • Outback/SOB:2007 29BHS Outback
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 2500 HD 4X4 Chevy Crew Cab - 6.0L gas

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

View PostTangooutback, on 29 April 2010 - 11:53 PM, said:

I wouldn't use the plywood. Even if you give it a waterproof coating, it can still get moisture from above, as nothing is completely sealed 100%. Not only that, but the first rock that hits the underside will compromise the waterproof coating - then the plywood will become warped and start rotting. I think the currogated plastic they use is probably the best choice, considering cost and durability.

Consider what would happen to the plywood if a rock or other large road hazard hit it from beneath. Which material is more likely to survive and stay intact? Just something to think about.

Mike
Posted ImagePosted Image

2007 29BHS pulled with a 2007 4WD Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L - 4:10 Axle Ratio - Prodigy - Equal-i-zer WD Hitch w/1200# bars

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users