Outback RV Owners Forum: Generator Extended Run Fuel Tank - Outback RV Owners Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Generator Extended Run Fuel Tank Made one myself!!

#1 User is offline   TwoElkhounds 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: KOALA Club Charter Member
  • Member No.: 5,057
  • Outback/SOB:2012 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:28 PM

I have two Honda EU2000 generators that I run in the bed of my truck. The big negative of the arrangement is having to fuel the generators. I either had to lug the generators out of the bed of the truck or take the gas can up into the truck bed and fill the tanks, being careful not spill any gas. Of course, this is nearly impossible to do consistently.

I decided last year that I would buy an extended run fuel tank to minimize the number of refuels. Spring is in the air so I started to shop around a bit. Extended run tanks cost about $140 with about $20 shipping, total is $160. I look into it all a bit more and realize this is not too complicated, I can make this myself.

I got nearly everything I needed from Walmart. I purchased a 6 gallon marine fuel tank, a set of three marine fuel quick disconnects, a marine fuel line kit, and some clamps. I purchased a few brass fittings at a local hardware store. I went down to the Honda dealer and bought two spare gas caps. Cost was a bit more than I expected, about $100, but worth it. The $140 prefab kits don't include the quick disconnects (which are necessary), or the gas caps, and appear to have not so robust fittings and fuel lines.

Took my about 15 minutes to put the whole thing together. I removed the vent from the gas caps and drilled out the opening to accept the marine disconnect fittings. The disconnect has a threaded end, which I secured to the cap using a threaded fitting and a fuel line pigtail.

Posted Image

Then installed a quick disconnect fitting in the marine gas tank. Very easy, just screw it in the existing fitting.

Posted Image

Then just cut and assemble the fuel line kits and you are done!

Posted Image

Took it on a test run and it works awesome!! To refuel now, I simply disconnect the 6 gallon marine gas tank and take it out of the truck bed to fill. Put it back in the bed and reconnect. Hondas will run for days on 6 gallons of gas!!

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD
2012 Outback 301BQ - Tenth Anniversary Edition

#2 User is offline   outback loft 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 8,408

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

Looks great, but the only issue I see is that you will have to use the primer to get the fuel from the tank to the generators. Since the generators are using a gravity feed for their fuel in the first place, and the auxilary tank is designed for a marine motor that pumps the fuel from the tank.

I just wanted to point that out, but I like the idea.

#3 User is offline   TwoElkhounds 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 5,057
  • Outback/SOB:2012 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

I believe Honda's have a fuel pump, I looked into this already. I also have a primer bulb that can be used to start the fuel delivery process. You can see it in the pictures.

I tested the system today. The tanks on my Honda were dry, I know this since I ran them dry a few weeks ago to get rid of the old gas. I hooked up the marine tank and pumped the bulb until gas was entering the empty tanks on the Hondas. I then started the units and let them run for over an hour. The system is air tight, so the vacuum created by the fuel pumps on the generators draws fuel from the marine tank. The tank does not need to be higher than the generators. The marine gas tank is also vented to prevent vacuum lock. It works and is no different than the systems you can buy from dealers.

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD
2012 Outback 301BQ - Tenth Anniversary Edition

#4 User is offline   outback loft 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 8,408

Posted 07 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Ok well I just wanted to put that out there I was not sure if the Honda used a fuel pump and created enough of a vacuum to draw the fuel out.

#5 User is offline   CamperAndy 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 507
  • Outback/SOB:2008 - 31 RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 - Ram 3500 CTD Megacab

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

The system will work without issue. The Honda's do not pump the fuel from the service tank to the carb it is just gravity and that is also all you need to pull the fuel from the spare tank to the service tanks on the generator.

As the service tanks drain they create a vacuum in the service tank, this draws fuel from the storage tank to the service tanks. The system will work best if the service tanks are full when you put it together.
2008 31RQS-LE
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 gear
Prodigy Brake Control, KGE3500Ti generator
Posted Image
The picture is taken on Lewiston Hill in Idaho Aug 2010

#6 User is offline   forceten 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 8,683
  • Outback/SOB:Outback 5th wheel Toy Hauler Sydney Edition
  • Tow Vehicle:Dodge 2500 V10

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:41 AM

I have seen this for the 2000 gens, but want one for my 3000 Honda. i know I have a bigger tank - i get maybe 10 hours or more with lots running from one tankful. But would be nice to get a full days running with one fillup. I wonder if i could rig something like this on my 3000 unit. Maybe even a gravity one if everything was airtight.....
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   CamperAndy 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 507
  • Outback/SOB:2008 - 31 RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 - Ram 3500 CTD Megacab

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

View Postforceten, on 07 March 2010 - 11:41 PM, said:

I have seen this for the 2000 gens, but want one for my 3000 Honda. i know I have a bigger tank - i get maybe 10 hours or more with lots running from one tankful. But would be nice to get a full days running with one fillup. I wonder if i could rig something like this on my 3000 unit. Maybe even a gravity one if everything was airtight.....

You could do it just the same as on the 2000. The principle is the same. As the fuel level drops in the service tank the fuel is pulled from the storage tank.
2008 31RQS-LE
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 gear
Prodigy Brake Control, KGE3500Ti generator
Posted Image
The picture is taken on Lewiston Hill in Idaho Aug 2010

#8 User is offline   swanny 

• Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 6,447

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:10 AM

I like it!!!!!!! I also have 2 honda's and have been wanting to do this. I think today is a good day, thanks. The only thing I would add or try is a fuel filter.

kevin
'07 GMC 2500HD CLASSIC DMAX / ALLISON EXTENDED CAB 4X4
'09 Montana 3465SA 10th Anniversary / Traded in Outback 32FRLDS
'04 SKEETER 18' F/S 150HP YAMAHA 4stroke
Kevin & Kathy / boys: Kevin - Jeff - Jason
Goldens: Kobe & Yogi

Our Travels and Things
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 User is offline   W Podboy 

• Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 4,260

Posted 08 March 2010 - 11:17 AM

We bought our external tank about a year ago for our two 2000I's.

Found a deal on ebay... Paid $100 with shipping.

Works very well, no issues with priming as mentioned previous, the gen's create their own vacuum.

Wes
Wes & Marie
Cessna & Helo (My Buddy RIP)( German Shepards )
'05 F250 Powerstroke
2 EU2000i
Solar Panels
West Coast Marine Battery Combiner
Dirt Devil Central Vacuum
Garnet Technology Ultra Sonic Tank Level System
LED lights
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Sayonara 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 5,971
  • Outback/SOB:Thor Motorcoach Astoria 3772 DP

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

I like it! I'm going to be selling my Honda EB5000 and getting 2 2000i's and will remember this.
DT - Me, DW (13 Years and HS Sweetheart), DD (7), DD (6), DD (3), DS (1) and Marley (Cockapoo)
2009 Astoria 3772 39' DP - Cummins / Allison / Freightliner
Towing: 2011 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ -or- 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Previous Setup: 2008 Outback Sydney 32BHDS / 2008 F350 / ProPride 3P

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users