Electric Awning Issues

#1 User is offline   Fireman69 

• Pip
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 10,043
  • Outback/SOB:2010 329FBH

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:39 AM

Hey all!

This past weekend we were enjoying our 2010 Outback 329FBH. (Very Nice Unit!) We put out our new electric awning and were so impressed on how nice it was to just push a button and have it extend. So, here is where it gets interesting. Like most RV owners, I put our awning in each night to avoid any middle of the night storms. Well when I pushed the button to retract, all I heard was a clicking sound. (Not the thing you want to hear after enjoying a few beverages and heading off to bed). So the DW got the owners manual out, since I am a man I would not know how to read this. We followed the instructions. Removed the screw to manually retract. But...nothing happend. So the next day I had some other folks take a look at this to make sure we were doing everything correctly. They confirmed that we were, so...I had to leave the camper parked at the campground since I was unable to tow it in for service since the awning is still extended.

First thing on Tuesday I called our dealership. They told me to call Keystone and Keystone told me to call Dometic. After 45 minutes of explaining everything to all three parties, it was confirmed that the warrenty would cover the parts and labor. BUT!!!! Did you know it will not cover a service charge to come out and fix the problem. I was told I had to get the RV to the dealership. I explained that I could not move it 90+ miles with the awning extend, now could I. Basically I got a "it stinks to be you" from Dometic.

It just amazes me, you can spend $44,000 on an RV and all is great until you need something worked on. Seriously, how the heck are you supposed to move an RV in a situation like this. Stupid me, I was trying to prevent further damage, heck, maybe I should have just force the awning back in and dropped it off to the dealership and have them cover it.

Sorry for venting...

#2 User is offline   CamperAndy 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 507
  • Outback/SOB:2008 - 31 RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 - Ram 3500 CTD Megacab

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

In the end I think Dometic is telling you to do just what you suggest in your last paragraph. Since you have already disconnected the motor, just roll it up by hand and take it in. Make sure to put a few straps to prevent it from unrolling. The warranty on it will fix it once you get the trailer to the dealer just like the tire shop will do road hazard warranty replacement of a tire, once you change it on the side of the road in the rain (always in the rain) and then bring it to the tire shop. BTW when mine fails it will be replaced with a manual awning.

Let us know how long it takes them to replace/repair the awning.
2008 31RQS-LE
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 gear
Prodigy Brake Control, KGE3500Ti generator
Posted Image
The picture is taken on Lewiston Hill in Idaho Aug 2010

#3 User is offline   battalionchief3 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 2,319
  • Outback/SOB:29 BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:01 Burb. 496 Big Block, 4:10 gears

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

I have not heard many good things about the power awings. Mine is a manual and I think I am glad I do. Push button is nice but when it goes....it can leave you in a pickle. Good luck.
Prodigy Brake controller, 2 - 6 volt batteries
Dual Tornadoes keepin' the tanks clean
Posted ImagePosted Image Local 4658
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Fireman69 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10,043
  • Outback/SOB:2010 329FBH

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

View PostCamperAndy, on 04 June 2010 - 04:34 AM, said:

In the end I think Dometic is telling you to do just what you suggest in your last paragraph. Since you have already disconnected the motor, just roll it up by hand and take it in. Make sure to put a few straps to prevent it from unrolling. The warranty on it will fix it once you get the trailer to the dealer just like the tire shop will do road hazard warranty replacement of a tire, once you change it on the side of the road in the rain (always in the rain) and then bring it to the tire shop. BTW when mine fails it will be replaced with a manual awning.

Let us know how long it takes them to replace/repair the awning.

#5 User is offline   Hanson 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 9,826
  • Outback/SOB:2009 28KRS
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7V8

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Just a thought, look at your insurance policy and see if you have road side assistance. If you do, I see no reason why that coverage could not be used. Its not towable in the condition its in, no different than a flat tire. Many times the towing coverage will pay to get you to the nearest dealer. It woudln't hurt to call.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users