Outback RV Owners Forum: Lean-To For Camper - What Size? - Outback RV Owners Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lean-To For Camper - What Size? Permanent Camping Spot

#1 User is offline   rubenhank 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 7,740

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Just a couple months ago, I found a lakeside lot 9 miles from my home that I am now leasing. There are not too many others on the lake. It is a great spot minutes from home. I will be able to keep my camper out there year round. It is a nice shady spot on a small fishing lake. The problem is that to get the shade, I have some older cottonwoods towering over my camper. These cottonwoods shed branches on windy days. There are some larger branches that need to come down for sure, but I will still be concerned in the future of what may come down on my roof. Therefore, I am wanting to build a lean-to. I want this structure to be able to handle my future growth. I imagine someday we will upgrade from our current trailer to a fifth wheel, Class A, or another TT. I started to draw up plans for a 12x36 and then thought, "how tall?" Then I started to lay out the columns to support the roof and thought, "where will my future slideouts fall?"

Are there any standards that would fit 75% of the trailers, fifth wheels, and motorhomes? What would you do?

Thanks - Chris
2005 28-BHS
2003 Tahoe - Vortec 5300 Flex Fuel
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   jasonrebecca 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 6,446
  • Outback/SOB:2008 21rs
  • Tow Vehicle:2004 F350

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

12' high will cover most everything but 5th wheels.
The spacing for your posts would all depend on the size of your posts. It's a structural thing, not a slide spacing thing.
At 12' wide though you would be pretty close to fitting with slides open on both sides.
You could always go 16' wide and not worry about it at all.
2004 F350 oil burner
2008 Outback 21rs
DH (Jason), DW (Rebecca) DG (Copper), DS Sept.'11

#3 User is offline   Bob in Virginia 

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 11,048
  • Outback/SOB:301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

Looking at keystone-rv.com, looks like most of their 5th wheels are 12'9", so you could go with a 13 foot tall and take care of most anything out there.

#4 User is offline   Up State NY Camper 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 10,590
  • Outback/SOB:2011 312BH
  • Tow Vehicle:Toyota Sequoia W/Tow package 5.7v8 4.3 axle

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

16 wide is a good idea. If you don't want to do that, you might be able to beef up the lumber (posts and header) so you only have posts at the 4 corners. Might be a little expensive though.

#5 User is offline   jasonrebecca 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 6,446
  • Outback/SOB:2008 21rs
  • Tow Vehicle:2004 F350

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

Talked to my structural engineer and he suggests calling a local pole building guy and see what he says. Wind design load in NE is 90mph.
2004 F350 oil burner
2008 Outback 21rs
DH (Jason), DW (Rebecca) DG (Copper), DS Sept.'11

#6 User is offline   rubenhank 

• Pip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 7,740

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

View Postjasonrebecca, on 14 September 2010 - 05:04 PM, said:

Talked to my structural engineer and he suggests calling a local pole building guy and see what he says. Wind design load in NE is 90mph.

I will consult a structural before it is over. I do not plan to have any walls. It will be wide open except for the roof, which can catch some wind! Actually, I am a civil engineer, but have not done much structural since school (which was a while back). I have a friend that can check my work.

Sounds like 13' high for clearance. The column placement is still the question. I think I will go for a larger span in the middle (Corner column - 9' span - column - 18' span - column - 9' span - corner column) for 4 columns. That seems to be where the larger slides are. Then have the smaller spans on the ends.

I do have one trick to pull off the back right corner will have to be cantilevered to allow me to pull into the structure. So the back of the strucutre would have 3 columns. This is due to the trees and the layout of the lot.

Gosh, going 16' would be great. That might allow me to have the full 4 columns on each side... However, going that wide would depend on the roofing material lengths that I can get. Also the snow load will go up significantly. I am planning to use sheets of corregated metal. I had always thought that after the inital construction that I would add a front lower lean-to (draining to the front) for a permanent "awning" and too add a little break from rain blowing in and the sun (I will be facing west). This would go between the front two columns.

Thanks for the advice - Time to sharpen the pencil - Chris
2005 28-BHS
2003 Tahoe - Vortec 5300 Flex Fuel
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Nathan 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Honored Member
  • Member No.: 4,239
  • Outback/SOB:Rockwood Minilite 2306
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

13' will be enough for a midpro 5'er. If you or the DW have eyes on a full profile, put in 14' and you'll be all set. Acutally, you only need the 14' in the middle so if you have a pitched roof, you could do 12'6 or 13' on the sides and then your AC could clear in the middle.... :birgits_coffee:
Nathan
DW / DS - '03 / DD - '06
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Previous Combos:
Winstar / Coleman Cheyenne - F150 / OB 28RSDS - F350 / OB 28RSDS - F350 / Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users