Outback RV Owners Forum: What Can I Use To Remove Chalky Residue On Exterior - Outback RV Owners Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Can I Use To Remove Chalky Residue On Exterior

#1 User is offline   69ss 

• Pip
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 12,973
  • Outback/SOB:2005 21rs
  • Tow Vehicle:2001 F150 Supercrew

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

I washed the outside of my tt today. It looks much better but it still has a chalky look to it and is dull. Is there anything I can use to get rid of this and bring back the shine?
Thanks for any advice!

#2 User is offline   mmblantz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 5,794
  • Outback/SOB:2005 28 RSS
  • Tow Vehicle:1998 GMC 2500 Suburban 454 (7.4L Vortec)

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

You could try a Mcguires claybar kit....but it would be a huge amount of work on a camper. Section it off and do a little at a time.---Mike
05 Outback 28RSS upgraded 15" Sendel Alluminum T03's with Maxxis 10 ply rubber
98 4x4 GMC Suburban 2500 454 (7.4L) Vortec on BFG 10 ply rubber
Mike(48), Michelle(???), Nichole(23) Meghan(20) Tommy(15)
1 Weiner/Lab mix(60 lbs of knee high fury) 1 totally spastic German Shorthair 1 yellow lab/terrier mix
We love our pups and they always go with us

#3 User is offline   egregg57 

• Outbackers Poet Laureate
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: KOALA Club Charter Member
  • Member No.: 1,810
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback Sydney Edition 325FRE
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Ford F-350 6.0L CC FX4...NOT Kevins Truck!

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:57 PM

McQuires is a good product. I use it frequently on my vehicles and I have used it on my 31RQS. I have not needed it for my fifth wheel yet, but come this spring I can guarrantee she's going to get a nice rub down.

Stuff you'll need:

Plenty of soft terry cloth rags. A bundle of 10 are pretty cheap at Walmart.
Car Washing Sponge
Quality Car Wash detergent such as McGuire's
Black Streak Remover
McGuire's Cleaner / Wax
McGuire's Quick Detailer spray mist
Hand Sanitizer
A&E Awning cleaner
Stiff bristle scrub brush and long or telescoping handle.
Spray Silicone

Thoroughly wash the exterior of the camper and the awning.

Wearing rain gear and eye protection is a good idea. Using A&E Awning Cleaner at the prescribed ratio, scrub the underside of the awning, keeping the entire surface wet. roll the awning up in short sections scrubbing the top of the awning as you roll it back up. Once you have rolled it all the way back up, using a ladder and the remaining solution scrub the top of the rolled up awning and let it sit closed for about 30 minutes. Save any of the remaining awning cleaning solution.

Rinse the camper down and using a soft bristle brush or good car washing sponge, throughly wash down the sides of the camper. I prefer to do the side of the camper that the awning is on first. Once that side is washed, extend the awning and rinse the awning and the side of the camper you just washed. Inspect the awning for any spots that may have been missed or mthat may need extra attention. Roll the awning back up if more cleaning was necessary and continue on to the next portion of the camper.

After the wash, inspect and remove any additional dirt or grime. Tough spots can be tackled with Hand Sanitizer. That stuff works great on sap and greasy grime. Make sure you evenly clean the outside using a deep cleaner safe for clear coat finishes. Black streak Remover works well too.

Open and rinse the awning again as necessary. If blemishes are still present a bleach and water wash can be done and usually will take care of any remaining "stuff".

Using McQuire's Cleaner / Wax apply the wax to small areas controlling how much is applied, and not to let it dry solid. Apply and remove with terry cloths. The application cloth can be used quite a bit. The cloths being used to remove the wax, should be rotated often, and changed out frequently. You'll see the dirt coming off onto those cloths.

Do not let the cleaner/wax dry before you wipe/buff it off. Once it dries it is very difficult to remove.

Once you have this done, periodically rinse during the season and use McGuires Mist detailer to keep the shine and protect the finish.

You may want to use a clear coat safe rubbing compound in place of ther cleaner, depending on how weathered the finish is.

Finish up with Spray Silicone on your slide gaskets and compartment weather stripping.

It's a spring ritual for me. One I like to include some help with in the form of teenagers or even a reluctant DW.

Eric

This post has been edited by egregg57: 22 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
2005 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 6.0L PS Diesel, ARP Studs, Edge Insight Juice w/ Attitude, Reese 16K Hitch, 2011 Sydney 325FRE, MODS: 5vr skirt, 10Db signal booster, Sirius/XM Mod, 22&32" LCD TV's, LED Puck Lights, Digital Thermostat, Screen Room, Wine glass rack, Ice maker, and a Banana Hammock!

#4 User is offline   duggy 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 10,523
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 250RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Chevrolet Express 2500

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:36 AM

Another product you might want to try, is Gel Gloss. It has mild abrasives, solvent cleaners, and wax. It takes some elbow grease, but I've used it to bring back the shine on our boat and our last TT. You'll want to wax the trailer to help keep the shine, no matter what product you use to bring it back.
Doug & Lauren
2011 Outback 250RS
2010 Chevrolet Express 2500, 6.0 litre
Equal-i-zer hitch, Prodigy brake controller
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   outback loft 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: KOALA Club Charter Member
  • Member No.: 8,408

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

I used a product called Rejex the first year I got the trailer. It is now 3 years later and I am just going to have to redo it. Well worth it in my opinion. It lasted me three years of being at the beach with the trailer and getting salt spray on everything a good portion of the time and salt water seems to strip off any wax you put on anything.

#6 User is offline   RyanJL 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 10,296
  • Outback/SOB:Outback 26RS
  • Tow Vehicle:GMC Yukon SLT

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

A neighbor of mine introduced me to a product call "Totally Awesome". It sells at Dollar stores and is rightly named. I had scrubbed and scrubbed before with Black Streak Remover. Major pain and still didn't do the trick. Sprayed on the Totally Awesome cleaner, wiped away with no elbow grease and was floored by the results. Have never used anything else since.
Posted Image The next great adventure always is in the queue. The only questions are when to go and what place to explore next!

#7 User is offline   Scoutr2 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 2,630
  • Outback/SOB:2007 29BHS Outback
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 2500 HD 4X4 Chevy Crew Cab - 6.0L gas

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Lucas Oil Spray Wax works wonders!

Mike
Posted ImagePosted Image

2007 29BHS pulled with a 2007 4WD Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L - 4:10 Axle Ratio - Prodigy - Equal-i-zer WD Hitch w/1200# bars

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users