Outback RV Owners Forum: Installing An Electric Tongue Jack - Outback RV Owners Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Installing An Electric Tongue Jack

#1 User is offline   macbcubed 

• Pip
  • Group: Legacy Member
  • Member No.: 12,178
  • Outback/SOB:2010 300BH
  • Tow Vehicle:2011 F150 EB

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

About to install an electric tongue jack (barker) but I thought I read somebody suggesting not to wire it directly to the battery or something like that to avoid a battery drain or path for a battery drain or something like that. Could be I've confused it with something else but is there any reason not to wire it directly to the battery (with the inline fuse of course) when I install it? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   OutbackKampers 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 13,151
  • Outback/SOB:2012 312BH
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Toyota Tundra

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Go ahead and wire it to the battery. No reason to worry about a parasitic drain. The on/off switch on the power jack will take care of that.
2012 Outback 312BH
2010 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L
Reese Dual Cam/ Firestone Air Bags

#3 User is offline   duggy 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 10,523
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 250RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Chevrolet Express 2500

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Wire it direct.
Doug & Lauren
2011 Outback 250RS
2010 Chevrolet Express 2500, 6.0 litre
Equal-i-zer hitch, Prodigy brake controller
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   CamperAndy 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 507
  • Outback/SOB:2008 - 31 RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 - Ram 3500 CTD Megacab

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

To improve the ground circuit which uses the point where the jack is bolted to the tongue, place star washers between the jack and the tongue. They will dig into both the jack and the frame to make a more solid ground connection.
2008 31RQS-LE
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 gear
Prodigy Brake Control, KGE3500Ti generator
Posted Image
The picture is taken on Lewiston Hill in Idaho Aug 2010

#5 User is offline   willingtonpaul 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Member No.: 10,628
  • Outback/SOB:2014 Georgetown XL 350TS
  • Tow Vehicle:2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostCamperAndy, on 14 April 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

To improve the ground circuit which uses the point where the jack is bolted to the tongue, place star washers between the jack and the tongue. They will dig into both the jack and the frame to make a more solid ground connection.

This is good advice. My husky setup came with the star washers. Not sure if the barker does, but if not get them. An automotive parts store will know what you need.
2010 Outback 301BQ - FOR SALE
Havana Interior
2012 Ford F350 6.7L KR LB FX4
Reese Dual Cam Hitch

#6 User is offline   raynardo 

• Icon
  • View gallery
  • Group: KOALA Club Charter Member
  • Member No.: 5,635
  • Outback/SOB:2006 26RKS
  • Tow Vehicle:2012 Ford F-250 Superduty PSD CrewCab 4x4

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I just installed a new Barker jack a couple of weeks ago.

it's extremely easy (which means even I can do it). Three bolts to attach it to the frame, one bolt to attach the foot to the tube, and then wiring it directly to the battery terminal. Because mine was a replacement, I had extra wire for the old Barker jack to splice into the new wire to make the connection long enough for my battery terminal.

I upgraded from an 18" lift to a 24" lift.

This post has been edited by raynardo: 29 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Leedek 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 11,628
  • Outback/SOB:2011 210RS 10th Anniversary
  • Tow Vehicle:2003 Silverado

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Just a comment on the direct wiring. I decided that I would add a second switch in line to the up/down switch on my jack. There was one time in the past when my trailer was not behind the fence/gate at my home. Unfortunately the young children in the neighborhood do not respect other people's property. I came out to load the trailer for travel one morning and happened to notice the tongue jack had been raised. The stabilizing jacks were lowered in place and the trailer was still "up". It was disconcerting to say the least. I decided to install the second in-line switch next to the hitch light switch. It makes it so the kids that like to flip switches don't end up under my trailer or the trailer falling uncontrolled. It functionally disables the switch on top of the jack until I flip this second safety switch.
____ SAFE DRIVING AND HAPPY CAMPING! ___Posted Image
2011 Outback 210RS 10th Anniversary Ed. Posted Image
2003 Siverado 1500LT

#8 User is offline   Scoutr2 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 2,630
  • Outback/SOB:2007 29BHS Outback
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 2500 HD 4X4 Chevy Crew Cab - 6.0L gas

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostLeedek, on 17 April 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Just a comment on the direct wiring. I decided that I would add a second switch in line to the up/down switch on my jack. There was one time in the past when my trailer was not behind the fence/gate at my home. Unfortunately the young children in the neighborhood do not respect other people's property. I came out to load the trailer for travel one morning and happened to notice the tongue jack had been raised. The stabilizing jacks were lowered in place and the trailer was still "up". It was disconcerting to say the least. I decided to install the second in-line switch next to the hitch light switch. It makes it so the kids that like to flip switches don't end up under my trailer or the trailer falling uncontrolled. It functionally disables the switch on top of the jack until I flip this second safety switch.

I wired my electric tongue jack through the electrical disconnect switch that I installed - for the same reasons stated above. (I used a sealed disconnect switch like that used on heavy equipment. It requires a special key to turn the power ON and OFF.) When I turn the power ON, connecting the battery to the trailer's electrical system, it also turns on the power to the tongue jack.

Mike
Posted ImagePosted Image

2007 29BHS pulled with a 2007 4WD Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L - 4:10 Axle Ratio - Prodigy - Equal-i-zer WD Hitch w/1200# bars

#9 User is offline   Red Beard 

• PipPip
  • Member No.: 10,416
  • Outback/SOB:2010 250RS
  • Tow Vehicle:00 Ford Superduty Crewcab 7.3L Stroker

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

X2 on wiring to a switch...I installed a master cutoff switch.
When the switch is off everything is off. Little fingers and forgetful old people canít drain the batteries.

#10 User is offline   rjstorlie 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 12,669
  • Tow Vehicle:2002 Durango w/ tow pkg

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

I picked up a male and female cord plugs at the hardware store. Picked the style that has the neutral prong sideways, eliminates a normal 110 plug fitting. Wired the female end to the battery and leave it outside the battery box, the male plug to the trailer jack. When I want to use the jack, just plug it into the battery, disconnect when not in use.

The other bonus is I wired my portable battery charger with the same style male plug. When I need to charge the battery just plug the charger into the female charger end sticking outside the battery box.
This way I don't have to take off my battery box cover, keeps everything clean, and with the sideways plug, no way to reverse polarity.

I will post pics if anyone is interested

#11 User is offline   CamperAndy 

• Outbackers Contributor
  • Icon
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrator
  • Member No.: 507
  • Outback/SOB:2008 - 31 RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 - Ram 3500 CTD Megacab

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

View Postrjstorlie, on 22 August 2012 - 11:33 PM, said:

I picked up a male and female cord plugs at the hardware store. Picked the style that has the neutral prong sideways, eliminates a normal 110 plug fitting. Wired the female end to the battery and leave it outside the battery box, the male plug to the trailer jack. When I want to use the jack, just plug it into the battery, disconnect when not in use.

The other bonus is I wired my portable battery charger with the same style male plug. When I need to charge the battery just plug the charger into the female charger end sticking outside the battery box.
This way I don't have to take off my battery box cover, keeps everything clean, and with the sideways plug, no way to reverse polarity.

I will post pics if anyone is interested

Since it is only 12 vdc it is not the end of the world (maybe the end of the charger)but that is not a safe practice for the charger.
2008 31RQS-LE
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 gear
Prodigy Brake Control, KGE3500Ti generator
Posted Image
The picture is taken on Lewiston Hill in Idaho Aug 2010

#12 User is offline   bobeileen 

• Pip
  • Member No.: 13,962

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I just bought a 23KRS (2007) and am trying to find an electric tongue jack that will fit and not obstruct my propane/battery cover removal AND allow me to open my truck tailgate. The space is tight there! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be using the jack to do the lifting when I install the equalizer arms, so I am looking at a 4000 or 4500 pound rated lift.
Thanks
Bob

#13 User is offline   RDS 

• PipPip
  • View gallery
  • Member No.: 12,477
  • Outback/SOB:Outback 21rs
  • Tow Vehicle:05 GMC2500HD Crew Cab Duramax- Allison Lifted 4x4

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postbobeileen, on 11 October 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

I just bought a 23KRS (2007) and am trying to find an electric tongue jack that will fit and not obstruct my propane/battery cover removal AND allow me to open my truck tailgate. The space is tight there! Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be using the jack to do the lifting when I install the equalizer arms, so I am looking at a 4000 or 4500 pound rated lift.
Thanks
Bob

I recently installed a Husky 4500 pound unit on mine and love it..

I can open tailgate and get lp tank cover on and off. ( have to angle it a bit)

The ajustable foot is great!!!
ASE master tech

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users