15 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron

Cameron

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hello,

Hope everyone doesn't mind another newbie looking for advice. We live in Oregon and camp year around. I have to admit a little concern over the tip outs in a typical Oregon 5 day down pour. Also, we do many many miles of off road (gravel and sometimes rough) exploring. Would appreciate any and all input as to how the units hold up. Do to finances, we will probably have to buy used. From what I have seen in our neighborhood, in the mid 2000 range to fit out limited funds.

Any and all guidance is appreciated!

Thanks
Cameron

#2 muttbike

muttbike

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Outback/SOB:Rockwood Windjammer 3001W
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Tundra DC SR5

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Slide outs work fine in the rain, but we use awnings on all our slide outs now. We just got back from a trip last week here in Colorado, and it rained everyday, until I hooked up to come home, then it was nice and sunny.

And as far as gravel roads, just slow down and don't beat your camper up with rocks.

JR
Me, DW, DS, DD King Charles Cav Shelby
2010 230RS, 2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
1989 Honda CR500R, 2000 Kawasaki KLR650 muttbike (no pedigree)
Posted Image

#3 Cameron

Cameron

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

Slide outs work fine in the rain, but we use awnings on all our slide outs now. We just got back from a trip last week here in Colorado, and it rained everyday, until I hooked up to come home, then it was nice and sunny.

And as far as gravel roads, just slow down and don't beat your camper up with rocks.

JR

Thanks for the input. I see you swapped brands??? Was there a motivating factor? I have been looking at the outback line and run into a couple of owners that were very happy. Have also been looking at the Arctic Fox line and Desert Fox line do to there history for off road success and survival. The new Outbacks with the storage closet in the front are ideal, just can't swing that amount of money.

Cameron

#4 Todd&Regan

Todd&Regan

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

JR

Thanks for the input. I see you swapped brands??? Was there a motivating factor? I have been looking at the outback line and run into a couple of owners that were very happy. Have also been looking at the Arctic Fox line and Desert Fox line do to there history for off road success and survival. The new Outbacks with the storage closet in the front are ideal, just can't swing that amount of money.

Cameron

My wife and just sold our Outback 270BH. We need one a little bigger. We've been so happy with our Outback, quality, value, and features, we will be purchasing another Outback in the spring. We've looked at several other brands in the same price range, but nothing else matches the Outback.

#5 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 994 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

We are on our fourth trailer and our second Outback. Outbacks are a very good value for the money. Fit and finish is superior to most of the other options out there. I hear Artic Fox line is also very good. I could tell you what brands to avoid, but I do not want to start any sort of brand war.

Rain is not a problem with the slides. We get our far share of rain in Upstate New York, downpours and thunderstorms, never had a problem.

A few things to look for in an Outback:

1) Delamination has been a problem on some model years, so inspect any unit carefully. Delamination most often occurs on the front cap, normally around the clearance lights.

2) Inspect the caulking on any unit to see if it has been maintained. This is the number one cause of leaks on travel trailers. If the caulk is dirty, worn, or separated, it is likley the unit has leaked.

3) Early Outback models were low slung, so may cause a problem on dirt roads. Our 2006 25RSS had the axles mounted on top of the leaf springs, which meant the trailer sat really low. This can be easily modified by flipping the axles on the trailer and mounting them on the bottom of the leaf springs. We did this on our 2006 25RSS and it raised the trailer 3 inches. Just something to consider.

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD
2012 Outback 301BQ - Tenth Anniversary Edition

#6 Cameron

Cameron

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

We are on our fourth trailer and our second Outback. Outbacks are a very good value for the money. Fit and finish is superior to most of the other options out there. I hear Artic Fox line is also very good. I could tell you what brands to avoid, but I do not want to start any sort of brand war.

Rain is not a problem with the slides. We get our far share of rain in Upstate New York, downpours and thunderstorms, never had a problem.

A few things to look for in an Outback:

1) Delamination has been a problem on some model years, so inspect any unit carefully. Delamination most often occurs on the front cap, normally around the clearance lights.

2) Inspect the caulking on any unit to see if it has been maintained. This is the number one cause of leaks on travel trailers. If the caulk is dirty, worn, or separated, it is likley the unit has leaked.

3) Early Outback models were low slung, so may cause a problem on dirt roads. Our 2006 25RSS had the axles mounted on top of the leaf springs, which meant the trailer sat really low. This can be easily modified by flipping the axles on the trailer and mounting them on the bottom of the leaf springs. We did this on our 2006 25RSS and it raised the trailer 3 inches. Just something to consider.

DAN

Thank you, funny you should mention the 06 25RSS, There have been a couple of 04's for sale that fit the cost side and layout my wife and I like. Have you heard of anyone adding shocks to the suspension?

#7 Todd&Regan

Todd&Regan

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Thank you, funny you should mention the 06 25RSS, There have been a couple of 04's for sale that fit the cost side and layout my wife and I like. Have you heard of anyone adding shocks to the suspension?

Yes, although I have never attempted it. You can reduce the vibration of the camper when towing simply by have the tires balanced.

#8 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• 994 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

Several shock manufacturers make shock kits for trailers. You can also use standard shocks and have custom mounting brackets fabricated. I wanted to put shocks on my 301BQ, but after some investigation, I could not see a way to easily mount them. There just was not enough clearance between that frame and axles.

So to answer your question, yes you can add shocks to your trailer and it will help. However, you need to do a little research and look at the clearance space that you will have to determine if it is possible on the specific trailer you are considering.

As an alternative to shocks, you can look at the Dexter EZ Flex system. I installed these on my 2006 25RSS and they made a huge difference in the ride of the trailer. I will install these on my 301BQ next spring.

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD

#9 BigJon

BigJon

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2021 328RL
  • Tow Vehicle:2016 Ram 2500

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

DAN

I have an 31RQS Outback 2007. I looked but didnt pay attention at which why they were turned. If they are on the top how do I go about swaping them safely and has the factory chimed in on this at all?

i have to pull it up a 25% grade for about 80ft. When you start at the bottom the hitch hits the ground and then you move up and the rear bumper scrapes pretty bad. i looked into those scrape swivels but the manufactured ones are two expensive and I think they go on a smaller bumper. i have a 3 1/2in bumper and i think they are made for 2 1/2" i dont see doing this more than once every year or so.

I just picked my outback up with the forward storage for about 16500. the seals look fine all over. i did let it sit though a massive storm and the grey pannels at the very bottom are coming apart. this is like skirting that is lower then subfloor. i have check for leaks all over including the slide. this camper is going to be full time for the ext year or so on packed dirt and rocks.

#10 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• 994 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

DAN

I have an 31RQS Outback 2007. I looked but didnt pay attention at which why they were turned. If they are on the top how do I go about swaping them safely and has the factory chimed in on this at all?

i have to pull it up a 25% grade for about 80ft. When you start at the bottom the hitch hits the ground and then you move up and the rear bumper scrapes pretty bad. i looked into those scrape swivels but the manufactured ones are two expensive and I think they go on a smaller bumper. i have a 3 1/2in bumper and i think they are made for 2 1/2" i dont see doing this more than once every year or so.

I just picked my outback up with the forward storage for about 16500. the seals look fine all over. i did let it sit though a massive storm and the grey pannels at the very bottom are coming apart. this is like skirting that is lower then subfloor. i have check for leaks all over including the slide. this camper is going to be full time for the ext year or so on packed dirt and rocks.

Welcome to Outbackers!

Many people have done this on their trailers. It is not hard if you have the proper tools and some mechanical ability. I actually took mine to a suspension shop and had them do it for me. I also had them upgrade the springs and installed E-Z Flex suspension.

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD

#11 thefulminator

thefulminator

Master Member

• 2143 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

So where in Oregon? I was born and raised in Salem and now live just North of Seattle. We camp anywhere from the Canadian boarder to South of Eugene. Trust me, I know rain. I am on my second Outback with rear slide and have never had any leak issues.

2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR and Equalizer 10K, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
gallery_6092_1466_7959.jpggallery_653_832_11751.jpg

#12 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Hi!
This is my first post. My family and I are interested in purchasing a used Outback 21RS or 210RS.
I have attached a photo of a local 21RS for sale... and was wondering... does this what delamination looks like?

Thanks!

Attached Files

#13 Bill & Kate

Bill & Kate

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 Outback 277RL
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Ford/Quigley E350 Super Duty Powerstoke Van

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Yep .... and unfortunately, there are many just like that one out there .....

7230600866_741dd55086_m.jpg
Bill & Kate, Stone Harbor, NJ
 "Zeke" the Parti-Poodle & "Bailey" the black Standard Poodle
"Salty Dog House II" - 2012 Outback 277RL
"Moby" - 2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E350 Super Duty 6.0L Powerstroke Van

#14 Andrew Anunson

Andrew Anunson

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:02 PM

Yep .... and unfortunately, there are many just like that one out there .....

Thanks! I am so thankful for this forum. Its great to be educated, and to know what to look for.
Do the Jayco "outback" style campers have this same design flaw?

Thanks!

#15 mike

mike

Outbackers Contributor

• 926 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I love outbacks, but we wanted something nicer. I asked the manufacturer rep for outback why he didn't add some of the things I wanted. His response was that they were not reliable. That being said, we did alot of camping with our 27rsds. It had the manual rear slide. I did have some problems with the rear slide as it hangs on two rails while traveling. I have seen some mods that add support to traveling and if u go with a manual rear slide that is something I would definatley do, especially with rough roads. We also had the axels flipped which added clearance due to some of the places we camped. Again Outback is probably the best tt for the money. Good luck and welcome to outbackers.
mike, dawn, 2 girls 18,3
2005 outback 23rs sold
2006 outback 27rsds
2003 dodge durango, 5.9l, 3.55 sold
2004 Chevy Burb 2500 4.10 QUADRASTEER
prodigy brake contoller, equalizer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users