Photo

Outback Camp Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:14 AM

Been lurking around here a bit and considering moving up from a pop-up to a travel trailer. If I go with an Outback I am considering purchasing either a 27RSDS or a 29BHS. I believe each of these come with an outside camp kitchen.

Could you tell if, in your experience, you find this option useful? It seems like a neat idea but I'm just wondering how much use it would get. I do like the idea of a sink and running water under the awning where I would be making coffee, etc.

Just wondering...

Barry

#2 campmg

campmg

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2784 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

I love the outside camp kitchen. I always use it for making the family breakfast. It was a large reason for my Outback purchase. A copy cat line, Max Lite, had the same thing but it was a piece of junk. The Outback is solid and stores securely.
2006 Outback 25RSS - Desert Rose
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 / 6.0 V8 w/ 4.10 gears
(Its older than my 2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L, 3.73 trade in -- but it's a 3/4 ton)
Equalizer Hitch / Prodigy Brake Controller / CIPA Mirrors
Posted Image
campmg picture gallery

Posted Image for Wolfie

#3 Ghosty

Ghosty

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2980 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2009 OPEN RANGE 335BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 CHEV SILVERADO 2500HD 6.6L

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:26 AM

If by outdoor camp kitchen you are talking about the stove and sink that folds out from the side of the trailer -- well every Outback i have ever seen has it -- of course its a special order feature -- but i think that all the dealers have got smart and have ordered them...

we love ours -- takes the heat and the smell OUTSIDE instead of messing up the inside -- and the sink outside is great for doing dirty washups you dont want to bring inside...

just remember though that the outside cutting board is not an actual cutting board but a DRINK BAR...

but to answer your question -- we use ours every chance we get --

2009 OPEN RANGE 335BHS (former 2005 23RS OUTBACK)
2008 Chev Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.6L DURAMAX Diesel LB
700W solar. 600ah LiFePo4, 2002 Harley Electra Glide,
me, DW, b17, g21
Retired Army LTC.

#4 Fire44

Fire44

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2530 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:34 AM

Same here...use it all the time. We have even steamed shrimp on it...Don't want those smells in the camper!!!!!

Gary

#5 GenesRUs

GenesRUs

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:55 AM

We've got an '05 with just the stove, no sink. We use the stove almost every trip. I go camping to be outside and enjoy the views, so I dislike cooking inside. And, as others have pointed out, cooking outside keeps the smells outside.

GenesRUs
Me, Lovely Wife, 4 Kids (14, 11, 4, 2), Border Collie, & 3 Guinea Pigs
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew, 5.4 l, 3.55
2005 Outback 21RS

#6 imabeachbum

imabeachbum

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

I love the outside stove and sink so much (along with my Weber 200) that Im seriously considering removing the oven and stove from the inside and making the area into a storage closet or adding a small "beverage" fridge. I havent used the inside stove yet and realistically dont think I ever will.
Alan, Lynne, Ali
2000 Tundra
2006 21RS

Posted Image

#7 Reggie44

Reggie44

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:03 AM

It is one of the key features that sold the Outback to my DW. She loves the outside kitchen. As well I am an early riser, I can make coffee in the morning without waking up everybody in the trailer. JR
DH, DW 2 boys
1 chocolate lab "spike"
21rs 2006, 2003 ford supercrew
Reese Strait line w/Prodigy

#8 tdvffjohn

tdvffjohn

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7941 posts
  • Outback/SOB:31FQBHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2003 GMC Duelly

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:19 AM

Never seen an Outback without the outside stove, also never seen an Outback that did not have all the 'options'.

We also use it, but you might have to 'mod' the cable that holds it so you can level it better. Simple mod.

John
03 GMC 3500 Dually..Duramax
07 31 FQBHS...Jasmine

#9 Swanie

Swanie

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

Can't live without the outside kitchen area. LOVE to make my morning coffee outside (to not wake the kids) and enjoy my peace and quiet in the cool mornings (rest of campground is usually asleep). We also cook dinner outside to minimize mess/smell in trailer.

You will love it.
2003 Outback 21rs SOLD
2004 4X4 Durango SLT 4.7, 3.92 rear axel

Master Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

Very convenient for bbq'ing - just setup the bbq on a table next to the outdoor stove and you can cook everything in one place.

#11 jfish21

jfish21

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

thumbleft I love it. Always used a colemen till i bought the OB
01 CHEVY 2500HD CREWCAB 8.1L
05 OUTBACK 29FBHS
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 HTQM

HTQM

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

A co-worker with many moons more TT camping than I (thats not saying a lot) had told me not use it due to the rise of the heat/steam possibley messing the awning up. Have any of you seen this? We would like to use it for all the reasons you have mentioned on this thread. The distance between the two looked to me to have plenty of "breathing" room to prevent such things from having any effect.

Dave
2005 Expedition2007 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2006 28KRS, Voyager brakeProdigy P3, Equalizer hitch.
Hypertech, Magnaflow exhaust,4 K&N FIPK Home made exhaust & air filter to turbo tube(saved money for camping)
Me, Lovely Bride, 15 yr Daughter, 2 Sons (6&7) and Shadow the scared Lab.

Posted Image

#13 dancinmon

dancinmon

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

Our 2004 25FBS did not come with the outside cook center. The dinette was in the spot where they normally are. It did have an outdoor shower on the back side which I loved for cleaning and rinsing things off.

We traded it in on a 27RLS and now have the cook center but no outdoor shower. The cook center comes with a spiral hose but I don't like spraying water all over under the awing where we walk. I bought a 15' hose and run it under the TT to the back side and use the sprayer there.

I did like the outdoor shower. You could hang the shower head on the holder and use both hands to wash things. I may try to install one on the backside next to the hot water heater.

We were doing a multi-family cookout last weekend and someone asked for a cutting board so I pulled out my 2 1/2 footer and laid it on the table. They were impressed.
Dan & Cindy
Minnesota

2006 Outback Sydney 27RLS Havana Interior
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese WD & HP Dual Cam Sway Control
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6 Duramax/Allison

#14 PDX_Doug

PDX_Doug

Just a boy with a dream!

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11311 posts
  • Outback/SOB:'05 Outback 28RSDS
  • Tow Vehicle:'08 Ford F350 6.4L PowerStroke

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

Barry,

We are using ours more and more, at least the stove. My DW never really cared for the one on our pop-up, so we did not really use the Outback unit our first season. We seem to have 'discovered' it now though, and are using it more frequently.

Still have not used the sink. Just can't see it as being that useful. Good place to put utensils though! :dunno:

Happy Trails,
Doug
Camping throughout the great Northwest
Doug, Shannon, two Great Kids and PDX_Cowboy (The Wonder Beagle)
TOW VEHICLE: 'Das Brick' '08 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, SRW, 6.4L PowerStroke, 6-Speed manual, 4x4, TowCommand
OUTBACK: 'Outbacker One' '05 28RS-DS, Equal-i-zer W/D-Sway Hitch

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 Reverie

Reverie

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1877 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2003 Outback by LiteWay 28BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2003 Ford Excursion 4x4

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

I don't think the rise of heat and steam should be large problems. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it but I have to admit I don't use my awning that often...

Reverie
Posted Image

2003 Outback (by Lite-Way) 28BHS and a lovely Hensley Arrow
2003 Ford Excursion, 4x4, Oil Burner, Eddie Bauer, Monster Hauler. Bwahahaha!
Me, Posted Imagethe wife, Brooke Posted Image and StevenPosted Image Little China and Red the Giant Wiener
Join The Southeastern Outbackers At Our Next Rally!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users