How To Reset The Carrier Air V - Outback HVAC & Appliances - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

How To Reset The Carrier Air V

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Enumclawbackers

Enumclawbackers

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

Not sure if this has been discussed, but we were able to avoid a very uncomfortable situation while out on our vacation. Short story - A/C stopped working and the unit gave 5 flickers from the green light. After reading the owners manual online, it was determined I had to bring it in for servicing. Not good. I called Tacoma RV and explained my situation. Luckily, after they made a few phone calls, the unit can be reset by taking off the screen (4 screws) and you can either disconnect the red or black wire's for about 30 seconds and it resets :D .

So, if you are ever half way through your vacation with 93 degree heat, a two and three year old and a couple of dog's and this happens, give this a shot.

Thanks Jim from Tacoma RV. Hopefully this will help any of you.

Happy Camping :) .
Posted Image

The Sternod Family Vacations Gallery
Tony, Melissa, Emily (4 years) & Amelia (3 years)
One Golden Retriever (Jake "The Snake") & One Black Lab (Sasha)
2006 Ford F-150 Super Crew, Lariat 4X4
2007 25RSS - Equalizer Hitch & Prodigy Brake Control

#2 CamperAndy

CamperAndy

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 8097 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2008 - 31 RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 - Ram 3500 CTD Megacab

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:29 AM

It has been discussed but normally people disconnect the power at the trailer battery and also disconnect the shore power. Then reconnect the battery and then shore power.
2008 31RQS-LE
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 gear
Prodigy Brake Control, KGE3500Ti generator
Posted Image
The picture is taken on Lewiston Hill in Idaho Aug 2010

#3 Enumclawbackers

Enumclawbackers

Outbackers Contributor

• 71 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:51 PM

That sounds like a easier solution, thanks.
Posted Image

The Sternod Family Vacations Gallery
Tony, Melissa, Emily (4 years) & Amelia (3 years)
One Golden Retriever (Jake "The Snake") & One Black Lab (Sasha)
2006 Ford F-150 Super Crew, Lariat 4X4
2007 25RSS - Equalizer Hitch & Prodigy Brake Control

#4 coloparkers

coloparkers

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

I had the same situation develop last weekend in Colorado near the Wyoming border at Dowdy Lake. Temp was in the high 80"s and midday Saturday the AC stopped working. We made it through the night without A/C and I called Lakeshore. They suggested disconneting shore power and battery as stated above. It worked! It appears that at some campgrounds when power demand lowers the voltage/amperage throughout the campground the Carrier unit will default and shut down to protect the compressor. You need to reset the circuit board to get it up and running again. The above steps will correct the situation and get you running again.

#5 H2oSprayer

H2oSprayer

Outbackers Contributor

• 2067 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 312BH
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 Ford F-350

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:37 PM

After the Carrier unit detects (I believe it is three) power interruptions such as a spike or loss of power, the unit enters "safe mode" and will not operate until it is reset in the manor listed above. One thing to keep in mind, if you keep your AC unit running when the shore power is unplugged from the campground connection, the unit will remember this until either it happens two more times or the AC and DC power has been removed from the Carriers circuit board. It is always best to have all electrical equipment turned off when connecting disconnecting the AC power.

Chris, Heather, DS - '00 & DS - '03
2013 312BH that replaced our 2004 28BHS
2007 Ford F-350, SRW, 6.0L Diesel, ARE Z-Series bed cap
It doesn't matter where you go in life, it's who is by your side that matters.

#6 Beaner242

Beaner242

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Dont mean to drag up an old post but we had an issue over the weekend with our unit. Went out Fri. eve and setup the camper at our campsite. Set the air on 72. i noticed Sat that it just didnt seem to be cooling right, and the compressor didnt seem to be kicking off or on. I finally turned it off because I didnt want to burn up the compressor. Sun. started to get warm so the wife turned it back on, it ran for about 10 min. and then shut off. The green light started flashing but I didnt notice the number of times, I just turned it off. I called the closest rv dealer to me and they told me to pull the fuse out and let it set for a few min. and put it back in. I did that and it did come back on, but i dont want it to set out there and run while i see if its cooling and burn up the compressor. Should i let it run to see if its working or just take it in for service?

2008 Outback 27RSDS
2008 GMC SIERRA 2500

Posted Image

#7 Compulynx

Compulynx

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

Ahh, Its MOD TIME! lighten

Note to self - Put in a switch on 12 v supply at A/C controls to kill power and reset......

No More going out in that hot, humid weather to disconnect power and battery.... :sweatdrop:

C
Glenn, Barbara and Tif
2007 Outback 26RKS
2008 GMC Sierra C/C Pickup 5.3 / 3.73
Posted ImagePosted Image

My Facebook

#8 uppie89

uppie89

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

I have been having an ongoing problem this weekend with my ac unit shutting down. It does the 5 blink deal when it does. It seems to ru all night just fine. I cant figure it out. Has anybody taken these in for service? Whats it cost. A brand new unit is around 600.00. I have been just flipping the main powere breaker in the camper to reset it. That seams to work.

#9 CamperAndy

CamperAndy

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 8097 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

I have been having an ongoing problem this weekend with my ac unit shutting down. It does the 5 blink deal when it does. It seems to ru all night just fine. I cant figure it out. Has anybody taken these in for service? Whats it cost. A brand new unit is around 600.00. I have been just flipping the main powere breaker in the camper to reset it. That seams to work.

If it is tripping in the morning or late afternoon then it is a voltage issue at the campground. Monitor the voltage as you do not want to run the AC if the voltage drops below 108.
2008 31RQS-LE
Posted Image

#10 California Jim

California Jim

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3915 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2004 28BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 K2500 Suburban

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

It has been discussed but normally people disconnect the power at the trailer battery and also disconnect the shore power. Then reconnect the battery and then shore power.

Only had to do this once, but it worked like a champ.

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

Were you plugged into shore power through a surge protector? Just curious if you would have to go through all this if you were using a surge protector. I am going camping this coming weekend, and I guarantee that we will have the A/C running along with 150 other trailers and RV's. If the surge guard detects a power drop, it cuts all power to the trailer from the power pole, leaving me on battery. Well, I know the battery will not support the A/C. When stable power is detected by the surge protector, it opens up and allows power back to the trailer. I assume that I would not have to reset the A/C, or would I? Hmmm.

#12 CamperAndy

CamperAndy

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 8097 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

Were you plugged into shore power through a surge protector? Just curious if you would have to go through all this if you were using a surge protector. I am going camping this coming weekend, and I guarantee that we will have the A/C running along with 150 other trailers and RV's. If the surge guard detects a power drop, it cuts all power to the trailer from the power pole, leaving me on battery. Well, I know the battery will not support the A/C. When stable power is detected by the surge protector, it opens up and allows power back to the trailer. I assume that I would not have to reset the A/C, or would I? Hmmm.

Actually that will guarantee that you will need to reset it. If the compressor shuts down 3 times with out being commanded by the remote it locks the unit and will not allow it to start.
2008 31RQS-LE
Posted Image

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:43 PM

Actually that will guarantee that you will need to reset it. If the compressor shuts down 3 times with out being commanded by the remote it locks the unit and will not allow it to start.

I did not know that, though I probably read it at some point in the manual. Thanks.

#14 ssrrchase

ssrrchase

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

We had the same thing happen to us last week in 100+ heat - no AC and 5 blinks on the green light. I disconnected the shore power and battery, waited for a few seconds then connected it all back up. It worked and we didn't have a problem with the AC for the rest of the week.

-Steve
Steve, Mary, 5 kiddos
2006 Chevy Sub 2500 3.73 2wd
2005 26RS
Reese Dual Cam

#15 SmkSignals

SmkSignals

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the posts. Camping right now at Silent Valley campground in So Cal. AC had the 5 blinking lights yesterday. Today I surfed the site looking for answers and here we are.

I disconnected shore power, disconnected the batteries, waited a few moments, hooked everything back up, and we are good to go !! AC memory reset and is back up and running !!

Happy Camping everyone ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users