Mice In The Trailer - Problems, Solutions & After Market - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Mice In The Trailer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 994 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 301BQ
  • Tow Vehicle:Dodge 2500 Megacab CTD

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hello everyone,

Shortly after returning home with our new 10th Anniversary Edition 301BQ, I started to notice mouse droppings inside some of the cabinets inside the trailer. I inspected the underside of the trailer, made sure everything was sealed and filed the issue away in my mind. As the summer faded and the temperatures started to drop, I began to notice more droppings in the trailer. Main areas were under the kitchen sink and in the front basement. I set out some traps and sure enough we began to harvest mice. Clearly we had a pretty significant access point. You might think a mouse or two might be able to squeeze through a random opening, but a continuous stream would indicate the mice are not working very hard to get in.

I crawl back under the trailer and really begin to inspect the entire underside. It did not take long to find the access point, actually there are numerous potential access points. I first noticed the slide design has several areas where it appears a mouse could enter. Below is a picture of the slide mechanism with the slide extended, notice the access holes in the frame around both the cylinder and the geared mechanism. The next picture shows the slide retracted, the motor does not seal the hole and the hole next to the geared mechanism is still accessible. Curious if anyone else has this construction and if they have had problems?

Posted Image

Posted Image

The next access point is an issue with the 10th Anniversary Edition. Looking from the underside of the trailer behind the fiberglass nose cap, you will find that the area is completely open. No attempt has been made to seal this area off. Mice are free to gain access behind the cap and into the interior wall. Once the mice get inside here, there is no telling where they can go. If you look closely, you can also see where the mice can gain entry into the aluminum frame material. A nice, easy path to other areas within the trailer. They can also squeeze behind the trim and get into the trailer basement, which explains the concentration of mice droppings in this area.

Posted Image

So, anybody else with a 10th Anniversary Edition having mice problems? Does your construction look like mine? What about the slide mechanism, is this the same as pre-2012 editions? I had no mice problems on my previous Outback, never saw any evidence, never caught one.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions.

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD
2012 Outback 301BQ - Tenth Anniversary Edition

#2 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• 994 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Some more information. Below is a picture I took of the front end during the Factory Rally this summer. This seems to really point to the front of the trailer being the entry point. The black fabric is on the underside of the plywood floor. Also notice how the aluminum framing on each edge is bent up as a complete unit up to the roof. This is open down in the trailer belly (I can see it), potentially giving mice access to the roof of the trailer (depending on where things are welded). Really interested in any comments from others with a 10th Anniversary Edition, this seems like a big problem to me.

BTW - the girl in the picture is my daughter. You can see how much she loves to camp!! She looks like this from the minute we pull out of the driveway until we get home. God help me. :wacko:

Posted Image

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD

#3 RDS

RDS

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Outback/SOB:Outback 21rs
  • Tow Vehicle:05 GMC2500HD Crew Cab Duramax- Allison Lifted 4x4

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:57 PM

Can't help you with the mouse problem, but your Daughter looks just like mine when we go camping!! Glad I'm not alone.... lol
ASE master tech

#4 Gr8daggett

Gr8daggett

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 277RL w/ Reese Dual Cam Hitch
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - Duramax

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

Has anyone tried this product? http://www.mouse-free.com/
I am thinking it may have some merit. :sign0163:
Mike, Pat and 2 Pembroke Welsh Corgi guard dogs Marty & Bucky

#5 Santa Fe TX Bob

Santa Fe TX Bob

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2005 29BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:1999 Isuzu NPR HD

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

Since you are getting droppings in the sink area, I would check the low-point drains for the water lines that protrude the under belly near the kitchen sink. Use some "squirty foam" to seal this hole and prolly no mo' problem.

#6 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• 994 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

After looking at this a bit more, it is pretty clear that the mice are entering in through the bottom of the front cap. I can see droppings and other evidence of mice being inside the cap. The gaps in the cap bottom are quite large and have no protection against rodents. The gaps are so large, I think a chipmunk or a squirrel could get up inside there. It appears the mice are able to climb up into the cap, squeeze through cracks into the basement or climb up into the ceiling. Both routes provide access to the sink cabinets.

I got a can of sealing foam (the stuff made for doors and windows) and sealed off the cracks. It took nearly an entire can to fill the voids. We have not trapped a mouse since I sealed the cap and I have found no further evidence of mice in the trailer. It is too early to say the problem is completely solved, but I am optimistic.

I suggest all owners of the new fiberglass front caps take a look and seal this area off. If you are picking up a new unit, have the dealer seal it off before you accept the unit.

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD

#7 Insomniak

Insomniak

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1437 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:08 AM

After looking at this a bit more, it is pretty clear that the mice are entering in through the bottom of the front cap. I can see droppings and other evidence of mice being inside the cap. The gaps in the cap bottom are quite large and have no protection against rodents. The gaps are so large, I think a chipmunk or a squirrel could get up inside there. It appears the mice are able to climb up into the cap, squeeze through cracks into the basement or climb up into the ceiling. Both routes provide access to the sink cabinets.

I got a can of sealing foam (the stuff made for doors and windows) and sealed off the cracks. It took nearly an entire can to fill the voids. We have not trapped a mouse since I sealed the cap and I have found no further evidence of mice in the trailer. It is too early to say the problem is completely solved, but I am optimistic.

I suggest all owners of the new fiberglass front caps take a look and seal this area off. If you are picking up a new unit, have the dealer seal it off before you accept the unit.

DAN

I don't have anything to add about mice, but every time I see that photo of your daughter I get a weird, guilty feeling....
2012 10th Anniversary Edition 301BQ w/Moonlight Decor
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Reese HD WD hitch, Dual-Cam anti-sway and a bunch of mods

Posted Image

#8 TwoElkhounds

TwoElkhounds

Outbackers Contributor

• 994 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

I don't have anything to add about mice, but every time I see that photo of your daughter I get a weird, guilty feeling....

Ahhh... Now you are starting to catch on. It is all part of the grand plan to make camping intolerable. :D

DAN
2006 Dodge Megacab CTD

#9 Insomniak

Insomniak

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1437 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Ahhh... Now you are starting to catch on. It is all part of the grand plan to make camping intolerable. :D

DAN

A friend or two coming along would make things a whole lot better, I'm sure. I know from what you wrote in the other thread that it isn't easy to get camping buddies though - especially girls. We're lucky, and have two cousins only 15 minutes away who accompany our kids frequently. It also helps that we do most of our camping at our membership campground, and often run into families that we've met on previous trips. At this age, these female creatures just HAVE to hang out with each other....
2012 10th Anniversary Edition 301BQ w/Moonlight Decor
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Reese HD WD hitch, Dual-Cam anti-sway and a bunch of mods

Posted Image

#10 Outback Scooter

Outback Scooter

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2006 21RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

Mice can be deterred from entering by placing fabric softener sheets in potential openings. Don't ask me how or why this works but it does. I can't remember where I first heard about this. We have a relatively small trailer (21RS) and had a mouse problem ONE time when the trailer was left at our storage lot. Since stuffing softener sheets around piping etc under the sink we have not seen hide nor hair of a mouse in a few years.
[SIZE=1]Posted Image

#11 NFARCH

NFARCH

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 Keystone Outback 230RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 Crew Cab Laramie

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

A farmer friend of mine stated that soap shavings around the trailer, not necessarily inside, can deter mice. Might be worth a try when trailer is sitting for extended periods of time.

#12 hoodscoop

hoodscoop

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2010 321FRL
  • Tow Vehicle:2011 F250 Diesel (Modified to F350)

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

Dan, two things. First, I live in the woods. If we do not park our vehicles in a well sealed garage, a rodent will nest under the hood in a day or two. When the camper is parked at home, I always place a couple hand fulls of moth balls under and around the camper. The smell has not carried into the TT as of yet.

Secondly, if all else fails try this. I use to be an energy auditor trainer. The primary evaluation of an auditor is to find air leaks, which of course entails areas where mice can access the home. This is done via a "blower door" test. You can easily make your own. Cut a sheet of plywood to cover the door. Then cut a hole in the plywood to fit a powerfull fan that you can rent, get a big one with high CFM's. Seal the plywood tightly around the door and turn the fan to blow out of the camper. With the camper in winter mode, all windows and vents closed as tightly as possible, you will be able to walk around and find all areas where air is getting into the camper. Foam the cracks and the mice should no longer be able to get in. P.S. A smoke tube available on-line can also be very helpful.
We never forget that the journey is as important as our destination
2010 321FRL - 2011 F250 Diesel

#13 kathandroddy

kathandroddy

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 Outback 250rs
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Dodge Ram 1500

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

We found a mouse in our trailer when we were out camping last weekend. Haven't had a chance to get under the trailer to see where they are coming in but will take a look at the front cap now.

#14 Doxie-Doglover-Too

Doxie-Doglover-Too

Outbackers Contributor

• 7794 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

God help me. :wacko:

DAN
[/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahaha! as the mother of a 34 year old girl and having been there done that.....HAHAHAHAHAHA! oh wait....Posted Image now that daughter lives with us and her 8 year old daughter Posted Image , can I retract that haha??????
2012 Cougar 31SQBWE- 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 5.9 Cummins 4x4- Prodigy Brake Control- Equalizer Hitch-
Electric Jack- 2 Honda Generators -[email protected] Life Is What YOU Make It.........

#15 Doxie-Doglover-Too

Doxie-Doglover-Too

Outbackers Contributor

• 7794 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Some more information. Below is a picture I took of the front end during the Factory Rally this summer. This seems to really point to the front of the trailer being the entry point. The black fabric is on the underside of the plywood floor. Also notice how the aluminum framing on each edge is bent up as a complete unit up to the roof. This is open down in the trailer belly (I can see it), potentially giving mice access to the roof of the trailer (depending on where things are welded). Really interested in any comments from others with a 10th Anniversary Edition, this seems like a big problem to me.

BTW - the girl in the picture is my daughter. You can see how much she loves to camp!! She looks like this from the minute we pull out of the driveway until we get home. God help me. :wacko:

Posted Image

DAN

poor Cupcake!
2012 Cougar 31SQBWE- 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 5.9 Cummins 4x4- Prodigy Brake Control- Equalizer Hitch-
Electric Jack- 2 Honda Generators -[email protected] Life Is What YOU Make It.........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users