Mods To My New 2018 Outback 325 Bh - Outback Modifications - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Mods To My New 2018 Outback 325 Bh

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Hey everyone. I wanted to give a list of the mods I have done so far with couple pics.
May be a bit long will try and keep it brief. If anyone wants more info or in depth pics of how I did something just ask.
First is the auto level. Works great as long as the brain stays level. Hard to stay level when the factory screwed the brain into 3/8 plywood. With 3/4 in long wood screws. Way to much flex. Plus hard to adjust the level of the brain with the lock nuts where they are. So I drilled holes all the way through the plywood. Under the mattress. Ran bolts through with nuts on the bottom. Then put another nut on. Then the bracket then another bolt. Thus making my own adjustment much easier to lock down tight with no flex. Took a couple of hours. Now it works great.

Next I built shelves in the closets on with side of the bed and above the tv for movies. Took about 3 hours with the right tools on hand. Depends on your wood skills and if you want to be cheap prefinished wood like I did or stain your own.
3355e8909c08d137370c5a6c91b8b50d.jpg
92aa0025c92240391cbcf150c20e5c09.jpg

Next I took the bunk off over the outside kitchen and sealed around the bunk and layed insulation between the frame. That room was very cold before I did this. The window of the outside kitchen would fog on a cold night from all the cold air coming in and hot from heater. Once I did this the area over the bunk stays the same temp as the whole camper. Took about 2 hours with wiring in extra led strip lights to outside kitchen. Very easy to get the air you want to stay in the camper.
Last I am putting led lights around the camper 1bc6207e908ec1bd1ba300ce18f8317f.jpg
Sorry for the mess. Price of construction sometimes. They are rgbw 5050 strip lights. Also behind tv. Over master bed. In the outside kitchen. Replaced the white awning lights with the same rgbw. Strip. And last under carriage lights on door side only. And for anyone that hates all those lights. We only turn outs on when we are outside. We keep them off when we go in for the night to be nice to our neighbors. We find that being able to pick the color and dim them we keep a lot of the bugs away.

I bought a full Queen mattress and extended the bed frame by 6 inches. Then changed the shocks to 150 lbs shocks so they would hold the bed up.

Change shower head to oxygenics.

Put mopeka tank sensors on the propane tanks.

Master kill switch for batteries when it is stored.

Going to replace tires. Looking for any input to get rid of china bombs.

Also want to upgrade suspension. I know that is a weak point as well. Any advice as to brands would be great.

Thank you for reading. You may criticize as you see fit. I am always open to constructive criticism.

2016 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel
2011 axis A22
2018 outback 325bh

#2 jb174

jb174

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

The shelves look awesome! Good idea. 

We just bought the same trailer and have the same truck, looking forward to getting out this year. 

#3 tedkeaston

tedkeaston

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

Where did you get the colored LED Awning lights?

#4 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

They are just cheap rgbw lights off of Amazon. The hole for power awaning and lights came in under sink in back room so that is where the controller for the lights is located. Run my wires reseal with healthy portion of silicon and turn on and enjoy.
They are not as bright as some other more expensive lights but bright lights just attract more bugs in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for posting this!  I am picking up my 325BH this afternoon and the shelves in the bedroom closet are very interesting to me.  Can you explain a bit more about what type of mounting you used?  I get nervous drilling into things in RV's because the walls and materials are so thing and flimsy.  I have always found those bedroom closets a bit useless since I rarely bring anything I want to hang and there are no shelves to organize.  Usually just shove a clothes bag in and dig out of the bag.  Shelves would make it much easier to organize.

How did you extend the bed frame to fit a larger mattress?

Also, since I finally found someone with the same model, did you put a TV in the bunk room and master bedroom?  If so what size and how did you mount them?  

Thanks in advance!

#6 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for posting this!  I am picking up my 325BH this afternoon and the shelves in the bedroom closet are very interesting to me.  Can you explain a bit more about what type of mounting you used?  I get nervous drilling into things in RV's because the walls and materials are so thing and flimsy.  I have always found those bedroom closets a bit useless since I rarely bring anything I want to hang and there are no shelves to organize.  Usually just shove a clothes bag in and dig out of the bag.  Shelves would make it much easier to organize.

How did you extend the bed frame to fit a larger mattress?

Also, since I finally found someone with the same model, did you put a TV in the bunk room and master bedroom?  If so what size and how did you mount them?  

Thanks in advance!

First I will tell you about shelves. Both in the closet and above tv in living room. I went to Lowe’s and bought prefinshed shelves in the organizing section. As for mounting. I cut a section of shelve. Turned it on end and put shelf on top of the other peicies. Then used a small nail gun and nailed the shelf to the thin part of the legs. I will see if I have a board left with a sticker on it to show you what I bought.

The bed I just took the plywood off at the hinges for the under bed storage and added a longer price of plywood I will get a pic if you want in the next couple of days.

I did put a tv in the bedroom. Just a standard mount in the bed room. But I have a quick release mount to take the tv outside. The quick release mount is a forest river mount. Our last camper was a forest river wildcat and came with an outside tv mount. So I a got a new mount for the outside of this one from forest river so I could move the bedroom mount to the new camper and same tv. It is just a 32 inch Samsung. Again I can get you a pic or too if it. Newest project is second ac in bedroom. Wife wanted to save the money untill this summer when she was too hot. Do money was found to put second ac on. If yours does not unless you live up north. Put second ac on.

Any other questions just ask.

#7 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

Thanks again!  I had to stare at you shelf images a few minutes before the light bulb went off on exactly what you did.  Great idea and definitely one I will copy ibbanana.gif   

Regarding the TV in the bedroom, I have the power and antenna jack on the ceiling, and I assume I could mount a single stud style jack in the small piece of wall between the bathroom door and the bedroom door.  However, most campers seem to have a sticker that says something like "TV backer" or similar.  I dont see that.  Where have you found a reinforced wall to mount the TV?  

Thanks again!

#8 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

The jack in the ceiling is for cable or antenna. I mounted a wall mount to a stud right at the start of the curved wall because there is no backer in the open space. I will get a pic this evening for you.

I did get a pic of the boards I used for shelves.
59491f106114c1bf93e5ac21b9b0b183.jpg
Now you can get plank wood and stain it yourself to match. I found this color and it was close enough for me. And did not have to spend a weekend just staining. Was able to do everything in a weekend.

#9 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:57 PM

Picked up my 325BH last night.  Love it so far.  There were a few issues we found during inspection.  Therein slide is grabbing and digging into the floor right by the bunk house door.  Dealer has new flooring on order and will have to figure out why it's grabbing.  Also, outside kitchen door seems a bit off.  Dealer ordering a whole new door.  Heading out for our first trip tomorrow.  Cant wait to use auto level!

Once we get back from our trip I plan to attempt the shelving upgrade and will let you know how it goes.  Thanks

#10 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:55 AM

Here are a few pics of my tv mount and the quick release setup. The quick release mounts came on my last camper. So they would be hard to find. The wall tv mount is screwed into a metal stud and you can get it at Best Buy or Walmart. d45a690a6216d79a0ff9e45881dc9a70.jpg7fe5f0435e01cb3ffd2aea03c9522b94.jpg95604e909e6960bbe6b53ab185ffac37.jpg704f8c2a6a16fe61e08046cef11dc858.jpg
Like I said I have a matching mount on the outside of the camper.

#11 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Hello,

Since this is one of the few threads I can find about the 325BH...  I feel like an idiot but I absolutely cannot figure out how to lay down the cushion on the dinette to form a bed.  Our last trailer was very simple, 4 cushions laid fat.  This has rounded cushions and my wife and I tried figuring it out and could not.  I'm sure it's stupid simple but wondering if anyone has images or knows of a place of a place I can find images of how it converts to a bed??  Thanks!

#12 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

I would love to help but my cushions are not rounded so ours just lay down flat.

#13 Oregon_Camper

Oregon_Camper

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 18051 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2015 Heartland Bighorn 3160
  • Tow Vehicle:2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hello,

Since this is one of the few threads I can find about the 325BH...  I feel like an idiot but I absolutely cannot figure out how to lay down the cushion on the dinette to form a bed.  Our last trailer was very simple, 4 cushions laid fat.  This has rounded cushions and my wife and I tried figuring it out and could not.  I'm sure it's stupid simple but wondering if anyone has images or knows of a place of a place I can find images of how it converts to a bed??  Thanks!

You should start your own thread for this, so people see a more descriptive "subject" line.

sml_gallery_535_64_2030.jpg

gallery_535_2497_5704.jpg

Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is now on our Blog Page  - RV With The Tanners

#14 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

Well, I failed miserably trying to make those shelves.  Ha!  Dont have the right tools including a table saw and trying to use a hand saw ended up with uneven cuts.  When you nail gunned your shelves together did you do it inside the cabinet?  Also, it looks like you are 2 shelves deep to reach the back the the cabinet.  Did you use 2 support pieces as well?

Overall we are almost a year into our 325BH and love it.  My only complaint is outback does not know how to install trim.  I have had the dealer 2 times replace trim that has fallen off and now the nice fancy wooden square things that decorate the trim at the top corners of the kitchen slide have fallen off and the rest of that trim appears to be next.  Really wish they would invest a little more time to secure things better.

#15 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

Yes I went 2 deep and the top shelf is more like 1 and half deep. A table saw is a must to be able to cut straight otherwise things will not fit. I assembled the supports and shelves in the cabinet and nail them to the supports inside. This case is a case of the right tools make all the difference in the world. Sorry you have had issues with your trim. I have not had any issues with any trim.

Soon I am starting on the bunk room. I will be taking out the fold down bunk and couch. Both will be removed and I am putting in a bed for my daughter. We did not need all the bunks and the couch is useless in that room. If I sit in it my head hits the bunk with it folded up other than that soon to come is upgraded suspension. Replacing the ventless vent hood in kitchen with new shallow style from furrion that gives more room above stove. And removing the 2 burner stove in outdoor kitchen and putting in an induction cooktop in its place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users