#1 WERA976

WERA976

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2010 280RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Hello - first time poster, 'cause we just took delivery of a new Outback 280RS this past Saturday. Well, it's parked in our driveway now, plugged in to the wall and the doors locked up. The boys and I came home this afternoon at about 4:00 to hear the radio inside playing on a white noise station at a volume of 38!!! The sound was cutting on and off like the radio was on scan or something, but the dial never changed.

Why would the radio turn itself on, to a station of jumbled noise, at top volume? Any ideas? Could the power have gone out and come back on, turning the radio on? Is it more likely someone broke into our trailer today and left the radio on to be honry?

I've pulled the radio fuse out of the panel so it doesn't do it again until I can figure something out.

Thanks y'all.
2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty; 6.0L PSD
2010 Keystone Outback 280RS
Posted Image

#2 CamperAndy

CamperAndy

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 8097 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2008 - 31 RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 - Ram 3500 CTD Megacab

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Could be a wake up/alarm function?
2008 31RQS-LE
2006 Ram 3500 4x4 Mega Cab, 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel, 3.73 gear
Prodigy Brake Control, KGE3500Ti generator
Posted Image
The picture is taken on Lewiston Hill in Idaho Aug 2010

#3 thefulminator

thefulminator

Master Member

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 2144 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

I'm guessing it is one of two things. Either someone in your neighborhood has a device with a remote that works with your radio or your remote is wedged up against something and the buttons are being pushed.

If it is the first one, when they change the channel on their TV you are the recipient of their signal. You might consider a couple things. If I remember correctly, there is an in-line fuse on ours inside the radio shroud. Remove the fuse and don't reinstall until you go camping. Be sure to reinstall it in the morning and see if you problem happens during the day. Don't try this at night, you might get a rude awakening. If that is the problem, you could install a switch in the shroud for a manual shut off.

If it is the second one, find the remote and store it without the batteries.

2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR and Equalizer 10K, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
gallery_6092_1466_7959.jpggallery_653_832_11751.jpg

#4 Rocky25

Rocky25

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Outback/SOB:?
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 Chev 2500HD Gasser

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:15 PM

That's happened twice to me on our 25RSS in the last year.... I know it wasn't a remote problem. Not an alarm function either, as it would happen daily.

I would guess it is just a bug with the radio.. I think we have a Jensen. I was going to upgrade it at some point, but you know how that goes!
2006 Chev 2500 HD Crew
2005 Outback 25RSS
Me, DW, DD (5) DS (4) Rocky (Yellow Lab-3)
Posted Image

#5 ember

ember

Outbackers Contributor

• 1426 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2008 Outback 29rls The Abi-one
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 GMC 2500 Duramax

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:53 PM

The Abi-one started doing this last summer! We figured after a few weeks that when Stacey's cell phone rang the radio came on!! The one good thing that came from it was that we found the remote for the radio!! which we didn't even know had gone missing!
Smile...it makes people wonder what you've been doin'!!!
me, hubby Stacey (just enjoying our empty nest OB style), and now with our camping pal Seamus (Bi-Blue Sheltie 2/13/2009)
2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
2006 OB 29BHS (SOLD)
2008 OB 29RLS Sydney Edition "The Abi-one"

Posted Image

#6 Dan Borer

Dan Borer

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
  • Tow Vehicle:2011 Ford F350 6.7 PSD

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:16 PM

Mine does it too. I just turn off all 3 speakers to make sure it doesn't wake anyone up in the middle of the night.
Dan and Shirley

2011 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7 PSD
2012 Montana Mountaineer 295RKD

#7 WERA976

WERA976

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

Wow. So this is indicative of the breed? No kidding? Wow.

Well, I know it's not a remote control thing, the remote is here in the house, in the wrapping, with the owners' manual, with no batteries in it.

I could almost see it being a neighbors' remote. Or a cell thing, or airplane traffic or what-have-you.

I just pulled the fuse from the fuse panel for the radio. I assume that will mean problem solved. I'll just post a label on the radio reminding me to pull that fuse everytime we leave the camper. Maybe I can install a switch in-line and just shut the power off that way every time. Hmm...

Wow, just wow. Good to know it's not just me, though. Wait 'till the wife hears this one!!! :-)
Posted Image

#8 thefulminator

thefulminator

Master Member

• 2144 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:38 AM

It could even be interference from the converter, furnace, or any other electronic or motorized device in the trailer. I think it would make more sense if interference from something close to the radio was the cause since most Outbacks have the same basic equipment.

2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR and Equalizer 10K, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
gallery_6092_1466_7959.jpggallery_653_832_11751.jpg

#9 WERA976

WERA976

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

A funny footnote to this story!

Well, we've started to stock the trailer and actually stayed in it in the driveway last Saturday night as a "test run" to see if we could camp in it for the weekend. As I was walking around, testing things and trying things, I noticed that the two lights over the headboard on the slideout bed didn't work. 'Great,' I'm thinking, 'something else doesn't work.'

So I'm going through my head trying to figure out why the lights stopped working, as I saw them work with my own eyes at the dealership the day we took delivery. So I know it must be something simple, right? I start to trace the wires back toward the front of the camper and find a plug at the foot of the bed on the driver's side that's been pulled out. I guess when the slide pulls in, the plug pulls out. When you open the slide, you have to plug the lights back in.

So I figured I'd found it, right? Problem solved! Well, not so fast. I plugged the wires in, tested the lights, and still no joy. Dammit.

I was up most of the night trying to figure this light thing out (that's the type of guy I am).

The next morning I mentioned to my wife the problem, and told her nothing had changed since we drove it home... oh yeah, I mean I had pulled the radio fuse to stop the phantom radio from turning on, but I mean the bedroom lights wouldn't work off the radio fuse, would they?

They do.

I plugged the radio fuse back in just to eliminate the possibility that it was the source of the problem. I plugged in the fuse, and the lights came on.

So now we have to choose - working bedroom lights at night when we go to bed, or the chance the radio comes on in the middle of the night, blaring us out of our slumber? Hmm...

I'm just going to go to Radio Shack and buy a switch to connect to the radio's "power-in" wire and be done with it.

But I couldn't believe that the simplest and least likely answer was actually the answer.
Posted Image

#10 TexanThompsons

TexanThompsons

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2009 Sydney 310 BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:05 Ford Excursion PSD

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

We had the same problem and found out the radio alarm is what was going off. For some reason ours defaults to having the radio alarm turned on so when we take it out each time I make sure the alarm is turned off. Hope it is something easy like that for you
TV - 05 Eddie Bauer Ford Excursion 6.0L TD
TT - 09 Outback 310BHS Sydney Edition
Me, DW, DD, DS, DD, DS

#11 john7349

john7349

Outbackers Contributor

• 716 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2017 Jayco 321RSTS 5th Wheel
  • Tow Vehicle:2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab 4x4

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

A funny footnote to this story!

Well, we've started to stock the trailer and actually stayed in it in the driveway last Saturday night as a "test run" to see if we could camp in it for the weekend. As I was walking around, testing things and trying things, I noticed that the two lights over the headboard on the slideout bed didn't work. 'Great,' I'm thinking, 'something else doesn't work.'

So I'm going through my head trying to figure out why the lights stopped working, as I saw them work with my own eyes at the dealership the day we took delivery. So I know it must be something simple, right? I start to trace the wires back toward the front of the camper and find a plug at the foot of the bed on the driver's side that's been pulled out. I guess when the slide pulls in, the plug pulls out. When you open the slide, you have to plug the lights back in.

So I figured I'd found it, right? Problem solved! Well, not so fast. I plugged the wires in, tested the lights, and still no joy. Dammit.

I was up most of the night trying to figure this light thing out (that's the type of guy I am).

The next morning I mentioned to my wife the problem, and told her nothing had changed since we drove it home... oh yeah, I mean I had pulled the radio fuse to stop the phantom radio from turning on, but I mean the bedroom lights wouldn't work off the radio fuse, would they?

They do.

I plugged the radio fuse back in just to eliminate the possibility that it was the source of the problem. I plugged in the fuse, and the lights came on.

So now we have to choose - working bedroom lights at night when we go to bed, or the chance the radio comes on in the middle of the night, blaring us out of our slumber? Hmm...

I'm just going to go to Radio Shack and buy a switch to connect to the radio's "power-in" wire and be done with it.

But I couldn't believe that the simplest and least likely answer was actually the answer.

Could it be that the radio area was used as a "junction box"? Can you verify the wiring as to what wire goes where? Just curious....
John & Pam
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel
TT 2008 Outback 21RS
6 Volt, 220 Amp Costco Batts (Costco item# 245725)
1000/10000 Equal-i-zer

#12 raynardo

raynardo

• 996 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2006 26RKS
  • Tow Vehicle:2012 Ford F-250 Superduty PSD CrewCab 4x4

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

When I don't use my OB I disconnect the batteries to limit any phantom drain. Then when I get ready to go camping I re-connect the batteries and my Jensen radio starts blasting.

The first time it happened to me, I thought someone was inside the trailer screwing with the radio!

Turns out that whenever there is absolutely no power to the radio and then that power is restored, the radio comes on. It must be a "feature" of the Jensen radios. It doesn't happen in with the Bose in Miata #1, Kenwood in Miata #2, Alpine in the Jeep, or stock radios in either the F-250 or Saturn. I thinking about replacing the Jensen with the same model Alpine I just put in the Jeep - it plays from a USB thumb drive, as well as MP3 CD's.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users