#1 ron4jon

ron4jon

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2005 28FRL-S
  • Tow Vehicle:2004 GMC 2500 Ext Cab 4x4

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:18 PM

For the past 10 years, I have been a member of a fly fishing club, the Tennessee Valley Fly Fishers, in Huntsville, Alabama. We teach casting, fly tying, rod building and share locations of where to go fishing and new fly patterns. Fish area lakes for bass and bream and to mountain streams and tailwaters below dams for trout. Sometimes we go as a group of up to 20 members and share cost and cooking. Sometimes we stay in motels, rental cabins or houses, and sometimes we camp. Club ~70 to 80 members' age range from the 20s to 70s and a few wifes attend our monthly meetings.
Ron and Lynne and now Charlie, the dog (i.e. our camping buddy)
2004 GMC 2500HD 496 (8.1L) w/Alison & Prodigy BC
Husky 16k Slider hitch and 5th Airbourne Air Ride Pin Box with Extension
2005 28 FRL-S Sidney with Trailair Equa-Flex suspension shock pads

#2 HootBob

HootBob

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9089 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:32 AM

I love to go fishing
One of these days I want to learn how to Fly fishing.

Don
Don, Peg MIL
Tori,Payge.Cordell
04 Nissan Armada
05 26RS Outback
Reese WD Friction SC, Prodigy
[email protected]

Posted ImagePosted Image for Wolfie

#3 Thor

Thor

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7151 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2006 31RQS
  • Tow Vehicle:2013 Escalade

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

A really good friend of mine (Teacher) takes the summer time and heads north to be a fly fishing guide in Labrador for a resort.

thumbleft
Posted ImagePosted Image

2006 Outback Sydney 31 RQS
2013 Escalade

#4 Grandeken

Grandeken

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

action ron4jon
I just started fly fishing and fly tying. fell in love with it. Around here in wisconsin it's more fun to catch gills than all the years I fish tournamint bass. There is no one around me that fly fishes or tyes so its a learning thing. This year when I was outwest I stopped at a fly shop and asked about a guide talked to the owner and found that the guides get $250.00 to $400.00 for 8hrs. That was alittle out of my range. Ken
Ken & JoAnn , TyTy
2005 Dodge SLT Big Horn 5.9 Cummins
2004 28 FRLS Sidney Ed.

#5 h2oman

h2oman

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

Flyfishers and Outback owners? IS THIS HEAVEN?. I've been flyfishing for more than 25 years. I'm 41 now. My dad was a FFF Master Caster. He taught me as a teenager. Only picked up our first TT last March. It is an Outback 23RS. Graduated from a popup. We're in soCal and I fish the local mountain streams and we venture to the Sierra Nevada Mountains many times per year. We also have been over most of the west. Because we do so much fishing in the mountains I wanted a smallish trailer for hauling those high grades. I would absolutely love to trade fishing tips and fishing holes with all of you. :D

John

#6 camping479

camping479

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3580 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:55 PM

I'm not much of a fisherman but welcome h20man.

My mom and dad used to fly fish many years ago, dad tells me mom was better at it than he was :D

Mike
No truck or trailer anymore, replaced by four Subarus and a Toyota

The first to present his case seems right,
till another comes forward and questions him.

#7 Devildog

Devildog

Outbackers Contributer

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:08 PM

I love trout fishing the large rivers here in Upper SC and Ga, but I haven't learned to fly fish as of yet. I use a lightweight spinning combination right now. Matter of fact, I am heading up to the Chatooga River next Friday after Thanksgiving for a day of fun in Mountain Rest, SC!
Posted Image

Barry & Family - Greenville, South Carolina

2006 Outback 25RS-S

2005 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73

#8 ee4308

ee4308

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1494 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:52 PM

Flyfishers and Outback owners?  IS THIS HEAVEN?.  I've been flyfishing for more than 25 years.  I'm 41 now.  My dad was a FFF Master Caster.  He taught me as a teenager.  Only picked up our first TT last March.  It is an Outback 23RS.  Graduated from a popup.  We're in soCal and I fish the local mountain streams and we venture to the Sierra Nevada Mountains many times per year.  We also have been over most of the west.  Because we do so much fishing in the mountains I wanted a smallish trailer for hauling those high grades.  I would absolutely love to trade fishing tips and fishing holes with all of you.  :D

John

View Post

h2oman,

Welcome to out site and glad to know you decided on the Outback. Never done any fly fishing :dunno: , but using a Bream Buster of the St John River in central FL must be next Heaven. thumbright

#9 HootBob

HootBob

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9089 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:54 PM

Welcome h2oman to the Outback Family
I always wanted to learn to fly fish

Don
Don, Peg MIL
Tori,Payge.Cordell
04 Nissan Armada
05 26RS Outback
Reese WD Friction SC, Prodigy
[email protected]

Posted ImagePosted Image for Wolfie

#10 h2oman

h2oman

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:56 PM

A Bream Buster? That must be warm water humor.

#11 Crawfish

Crawfish

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:11 PM

I'm with you HootBob, always wanted to learn how to fly fish.

"Let's Go Camping"

Crawfish

#12 huntr70

huntr70

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3592 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS 5W
  • Tow Vehicle:2011 Ram 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:44 PM

I've fly fished for near 23 years now...started when I was 12.

Lately, its been on the back burner because of time alottment, but still enjoy it. I inherited a split cane fly pole from my great-grandfather a few years back. I am really tempted to break it out for use, but it is so pretty, I am afraid it may have dried out and I don't want to break it. eek1

I guess I'll just stick with the fiberglass pole... thumbleft

Steve
Steve and Vicki
2 kids

#13 h2oman

h2oman

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:05 AM

If you guys want to learn to flyfish then you should. It's not that expensive to get involved anymore. Most of the on-line stores have combos that can get you everything you need to start fishing for about $150.00. About fifteen minutes per day for a week will get you good enough to hit the water and catch some fish. From therre it is just a matter of experience like anything else. Trust me, it is very rewarding when you are catching fish when no one else is.

It's not just for trout and salmon either. You Floridians are famous for your bonefish and tarpon on fly rods. Large and small mouths readily take streamers and poppers. Then again there is just something about standing in an icy stream under the mountain pines getting big rainbows to rise to a dry. It is truly mystical.

Cheers,
John

#14 PDX_Doug

PDX_Doug

Just a boy with a dream!

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11311 posts
  • Outback/SOB:'05 Outback 28RSDS
  • Tow Vehicle:'08 Ford F350 6.4L PowerStroke

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:21 AM

h20man,

action Welcome to Outbackers, h20man! action

I too, have always wanted to learn to fly fish. I have not been any type of fisherman since about junior high (I'm 50 now), so I don't even remember how to clean a fish! But, my son has just turned nine, and is expressing an interest in fishing, so I guess it's time to learn again! wink_smile

Like huntr70, I too inherited a split cane rod from my dad. It is a beautiful thing, but I would probably break it, so for now it is just for display. I also have been told these things can be quite valuable. :dunno:

Happy Fishing,
Doug
Camping throughout the great Northwest
Doug, Shannon, two Great Kids and PDX_Cowboy (The Wonder Beagle)
TOW VEHICLE: 'Das Brick' '08 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, SRW, 6.4L PowerStroke, 6-Speed manual, 4x4, TowCommand
OUTBACK: 'Outbacker One' '05 28RS-DS, Equal-i-zer W/D-Sway Hitch

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#15 ron4jon

ron4jon

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2005 28FRL-S
  • Tow Vehicle:2004 GMC 2500 Ext Cab 4x4

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

Good to hear that there is interest in Fly Fishing or just any kind of fishing for that matter. It is a great time to enjoy what God has given us just to do something in the outdoors and camping is definitely the icing on the cake!

Don’t be concerned about the “myth” about Fly Fishing being an exclusive and snobby gentleman’s sport because I can assure you all that most of the precipitants are just common, every day, pleasant people. I haven’t found that “Mythical snobby” person!

You will find that most Fly “Fisher-persons” are very eager to share their knowledge about their sport. I am 60 years old and like I stated earlier, I just started 10 years ago. I bought an expensive rod, reel, line and flies and was trying to teach myself on a lake in town when I met the president of the local club as we were both putting up in our cars at sun down. He gave me some pointers and was not “pushy” at all and then he invited me to the club meetings – in other words, he is just a good old Joe who is still my personal friend.

I enjoy all types of fishing but to be on a trout stream, along, in cold clear water, totally concentrating on the fly and line – well it just completely removes any stress that I may have and afterwards I am completely relaxed and refreshed. It is said that trout almost always lives in a beautiful setting and I find that to be very true. It is even better if I can return from fishing to my camp site, light a fire to watch the entire evening and then go to sleep in my camper. I.E., heaven! It doesn’t get any better.
Ron and Lynne and now Charlie, the dog (i.e. our camping buddy)
2004 GMC 2500HD 496 (8.1L) w/Alison & Prodigy BC
Husky 16k Slider hitch and 5th Airbourne Air Ride Pin Box with Extension
2005 28 FRL-S Sidney with Trailair Equa-Flex suspension shock pads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users