Equalizer Sway Control Hitch - Kargoroo - Travel Trailers - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Equalizer Sway Control Hitch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 F Branch

F Branch

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 230RS Toy Hauler (Next Month)
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 FORD F2500 XLT Super Duty 6.4L Diesel

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

We are going to purchase (Our first trailer) an OUTBACK 280RS Toy Hauler Trailer next month and hope to get some suggestions on the best equalizer sway control hitch to get. It will be pulled by a 2008 Ford F2500.

Camping World sells them here but at a higher price then on the internet. I have found a couple and wonder if anyone else is using them.

The 4-Way Point Equalizer Sway Control http://www.pplmotorh...ntrol-hitch.htm
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Weight Distribution Hitch http://www.adventure...jdsnvs36i00h102

Any other suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank
The wife, GUNNY(Boston Bulldog) and I enjoy camping in the Colorado Rockies and State Parks. Going from an Outfitters Tent to a OUTBACK 230RS. Still use the Outfitters Tent for the mountains and hunting.

#2 2500Ram

2500Ram

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1940 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

You will be fine with either, both are great WD/AS hitches. I would upgrade to 1200lb bars though for the Roo and the extra tongue weight from your toys.

Good luck.
Posted Image
TT 03 Outback 26RS.
TV 02 Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel.

#3 F Branch

F Branch

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 230RS Toy Hauler (Next Month)
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 FORD F2500 XLT Super Duty 6.4L Diesel

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

You will be fine with either, both are great WD/AS hitches. I would upgrade to 1200lb bars though for the Roo and the extra tongue weight from your toys.

Good luck.

Thanks,
Luckily I haven't purchased one yet so I will look at the 1200lb bars. I haven't even bought my Travel Trailer yet either..... Next month.
The wife, GUNNY(Boston Bulldog) and I enjoy camping in the Colorado Rockies and State Parks. Going from an Outfitters Tent to a OUTBACK 230RS. Still use the Outfitters Tent for the mountains and hunting.

#4 duggy

duggy

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 250RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Chevrolet Express 2500

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

I have the Equal-i-zer and am happy with it. I chose it due to the simple hookup. I've read that they are noisy compared to the Reese, but I find even when I maneuver the trailer with just a ball mount, there are still a lot of squeeks and groans coming from the axles, so I don't see the noise as an issue.

I got mine here Rv Wholesalers . They are the same price as your link, and have free shipping.

Doug
Doug & Lauren
2011 Outback 250RS
2010 Chevrolet Express 2500, 6.0 litre
Equal-i-zer hitch, Prodigy brake controller
Posted Image

#5 Scoutr2

Scoutr2

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2015 Jayco Jay Flight 32RLDS
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 2500 HD 4X4 Chevy Crew Cab - 6.0L gas

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:49 AM

I have the Equal-i-zer and am happy with it. I chose it due to the simple hookup. I've read that they are noisy compared to the Reese, but I find even when I maneuver the trailer with just a ball mount, there are still a lot of squeeks and groans coming from the axles, so I don't see the noise as an issue.

I got mine here Rv Wholesalers . They are the same price as your link, and have free shipping.

Doug

X2. I got mine at RVWholsalers.com also. They have the best price and the shipping is free. I set mine up myself and it took about 4 hours (including removing the cheap hitch that my dealer provided). I tweaked the setup a couple times after the initial install and everything works great. We just took a trip west this year (25-30 mph crosswinds in SD on I-90) and I hardly knew the trailer was back there.

I've never owned a Reese hitch, and I hear they are good, too - but I can vouch for the Equal-i-zer hitch. Easy to hook up and disconnect (with an electric jack), few parts, great weight distribution, and absolutely controls the sway when set up properly.

Mike
Posted ImagePosted Image

2007 29BHS pulled with a 2007 4WD Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L - 4:10 Axle Ratio - Prodigy - Equal-i-zer WD Hitch w/1200# bars

#6 thefulminator

thefulminator

Master Member

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 2143 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 Crew Cab

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

Love the Equalizer. Very easy to set up and no sway. I would also highly recommend the "sway bracket jackets" for it.

2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR and Equalizer 10K, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)

We all bleed Orange and Black, GO BEAVS
gallery_6092_1466_7959.jpggallery_653_832_11751.jpg

#7 Stone859

Stone859

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hello:

We just purchases a "Equal-I-Zer" hitch for our 2010 230RS. We've had it on the road two times now and it's a significant improvement over out "chain" type load leveling device with friction sway control. Actually, I think it's a bit easier to hook up (maybe a bit heavier to lift and carry around), and I don't think it makes as much noise as our old system.

#8 chuck&gail

chuck&gail

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Outback/SOB:Outback Kargoroo 230RS
  • Tow Vehicle:Expedition

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Love our Equalizer. Since our TV tongue weight limit is 960#, we got the 1000# bars. No need for extra stiffness of 1200# bars since I do not exceed any TV or TT specs.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Lovely Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition Limited Tow Vehicle
2010 Outback Kargoroo 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, TBD# loaded
We can't be lost because we don't care where this lovely road is going.
We have camped in all U.S.A. states except Hawaii. We have camped in all but 2 Canadian Provinces, and 2 Canadian Territories

#9 Lynn

Lynn

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Outback/SOB:23rsd
  • Tow Vehicle:Ford 350sd extended

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:13 PM

Are they really necessary? I have a 23rs and a Ford e-350 extended van as the tow vehicle. I'll be mostly using it in Cali but may do a run to Texas and up north this fall, so there will be some winds. If it is not that necessary but a like to have thing, then I can think of other like to have things to spend 500 bucks on. Just asking as I have not towed a trailer very much. Now if you need a captain to move your boat from the South Pacific, the would be something I know a lot about!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users