Sleeping Accomodations For A 10 Month Old - Camping with Kids - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Sleeping Accomodations For A 10 Month Old

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:34 AM

Hi,
Just wanted to get some input from anyone with experience. We have a 10 month old baby and we are trying to decide the best place to put her to sleep. We have a 23RS and 2 other kids. Next year, we will be able to just put her against the wall in the bottom bunk (queen size) with one of her older sisters toward the outside. But this year-I am just not sure.

We have already tried using a pack and play-which will fit-barely. I think that we will take it along for outside, but its really not practical for inside. We went to the beach over Easter and we folded down the dinette table and made a little bed against the wall surrounded by bags and pillows. That worked great for then, but she is more mobile every day and will have no problem climbing over and falling on the floor by our next trip (3 wks away). I have also thought of just putting her on the floor of the dinette (just taking out the table), but we'll still have the escape issue. Although, how far could she go, really?

I have been looking online, and found a "Peapod Travel Bed." It appears to be a little bed with a sort of tent over it that zips shut-preventing any escapes. Has anyone else ever used one or have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Heidi

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 09:50 AM

We have a 21RS and have used the pack and play underneath the top bunk. In the process of building a Crib Style front for the top bunk to keep 2 year old boy contained at night and right after he wakes up. The dogs are in the crate below him. Pack and Play worked best for us though!

#3 Brad

Brad

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

We have a 23 RS and will have to deal with this issue next year. My brother in law will be camping with us and we opened a pack in play in there and it is basically a Fire Hazard. Right in the middle of the front door. I think what we were planning on doing when ours is born is too have it sleep with Mom and I will go on the dinette. That's life with kids I guess. Then I will be right next to the other two DK's. The only other thing I can think of is a co-sleeper, but I think your 10 month old will be too big... see what you think. http://armsreach.com/ I think a 10 month old would be too big for one. Good luck.
Me, Wife & DS-8, DD-6 & DD-2
2007 Outback 23RS
2004 Expedition Eddie 5.4L V-8
Posted Image
My Webshots

#4 watervalleykampers

watervalleykampers

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Outback/SOB:26RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

We'll have the same issue as you this year, as our son will be 9 months old when we take our first trip of the year next month. Our pack & play won't fit in between the dinette seats, but we've found a smaller one that will. We're not sure whether we'll buy the smaller one or not...he doesn't sleep in his crib half the time at home, why would he do it camping?? It would probably just be a waste of money. What we'll probably end up doing is he'll sleep with dad in the queen slide, and I'll sleep in the one unused bunk in the kids bunkhouse. I'm usually the one that ends up staying up around the campfire at night, so that way I won't disturb anyone trying to get into bed.

Cheryl
Cheryl & Jim
DS (8) DS (5)
2015 Outback 302FBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD
And the boys toys ... Suzuki 700 King Quad, Honda CRF 110F, Yamaha PW50

#5 Beerman

Beerman

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

We have the 23RS and a baby. My girl is over a year now but what we do is place the pack in play on the dinette at night and naps. We always have 4 adults and two kids with us. Every child is different, my daughter loves sleeping in the pack n play, so don't. Do whatever makes the kid happy. A happy kid has even happier parents. I don't mind having the dinette down, I can just enjoy the campfire more.

Beerman
05' F150 Supercrew 5.4L, 3.73's
Chad, Michelle, Boy (6), Girl (3)
Tracker (hunting dog)
Outback 23RS
CA

How am I going to fit the kegarator in the trailer?

#6 skippershe

skippershe

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8310 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:52 PM

We began taking our son camping in our pop up at the age of 8 months. Just to keep him from rolling on the floor, he slept with me on the inside of one of the queen bunks. Now, just out of habit he still sleeps with me in the queen slide and daddy sleeps in the garage area of the Roo...

That's camping with kids! :)
~ Dawn ~
Posted Image Posted Image
TOW VEHICLE: 2007 Dodge SLT Mega Cab 3500 Dually, 5.9 Cummins Diesel, 4x4
OUTBACK: 2006 28KRS (Kargoroo) Jasmine, Equalizer Hitch/12,000 lb, Tekonsha P3 b/c, Atwood 3500 Electric Jack, Honda EU2000i
Myself, best husband ever and our beautiful 7 yr old son...

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:06 PM

When my kids were camping babies (from 8 weeks old – 2 years old) they slept with me and DH slept somewhere else. That’s what worked the easiest for us. And for us, easy always wins out.

Jessica

#8 LarryTheOutback

LarryTheOutback

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 1198 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2006 Outback 26RS "Larry"
  • Tow Vehicle:2003 Suburban 1500 4WD 3.73

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

In similar travel situations, though not in the Outback, the baby slept between Ellen and I.

Ed
Ellen, Ed '57, Ed '96 (Age 17), David (Age 15), Sophie (Age 13) and Clara (Canine; Age 9)
Trip Blogs here. (including 2006 cross-country trip & 2007 British Columbia, 2008 Idaho)

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks to all for your input. I'm sure that we will try all of the above. DH has already made reservations for 33 nights of camping this summer! So we are sure to find something that works well (or completely lose our minds). I agree- easy is the way to go.

She is an easy baby and has been camping since she was born (well, since she was 5 wks old), so I'm sure that we'll have a great time. After all, I think that is the idea :P

Thanks,

Heidi

#10 MaeJae

MaeJae

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2020 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:52 AM

Will the pack and play fit where the dinette table is? :dunno:
(between the two benches with the table removed)

If not... I think your best solution is to make a "crib" out of
the top bunk. that way the bottom one can accomidate siblings.

Just a thought.
MaeJae :sun_smiley:

Posted ImagePosted Image

"STRIKE OUT ALS" ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease
'05 EXCURSION XLT 4X4 / '05 27RSDS Me, DH - DS-22, DS-20 -DD-17, DD-11 -2 Dogs

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hello Heidi!
We've been camping with our children since they were 3mths old, and when they would get to that age where they became mobile, I just had them sleep with me. I'm short - so I would set them up at the bottom of the bed where my feet were, or right beside me. :D

Hope you figure something out!! :)

:sunny: Jewels

#12 Doft

Doft

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:41 PM

We have a 23RS and put our youngest in a pack and play set on the floor between the two dinette benches with the table removed. It fit there perfectly. Now that he has outgrown the pack and play, he sleeps on the unfolded sofa while the two older boys sleep on the queen slide (we sleep on the front queen bed). We tried putting him on the folded down dinette with a bed rail, but it didn't work too well - he would pull himself up on the kitchen countertop and I was terrified that he would fall.

- Amy
Jim, Amy, Jackson (7 yr), Wyatt (7 yr) & Ian (5 yr)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab CTD
2006 Outback 23RS-B

#13 Campforthenight

Campforthenight

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:18 PM

Our 12 month old sleeps between my wife and I, at night he will run across my head, jump to the floor to use his Pee Pad, then he does his dance for his "treat". if he is too restless he goes into his cage, which by the way does have a heater.

#14 skippershe

skippershe

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8310 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:26 PM

Our 12 month old sleeps between my wife and I, at night he will run across my head, jump to the floor to use his Pee Pad, then he does his dance for his "treat". if he is too restless he goes into his cage, which by the way does have a heater.

Wow! A 12 month old that runs, jumps and is potty trained already?? Amazing! wink_smile
~ Dawn ~
TOW VEHICLE: 2007 Dodge SLT Mega Cab 3500 Dually, 5.9 Cummins Diesel, 4x4
OUTBACK: 2006 28KRS (Kargoroo) Jasmine, Equalizer Hitch/12,000 lb, Tekonsha P3 b/c, Atwood 3500 Electric Jack, Honda EU2000i
Myself, best husband ever and our beautiful 7 yr old son...

#15 emsley3

emsley3

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:08 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: That was great! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

Me, DW, 2 kids, and 1 dog
2004 Ford Expedition
2007 Outback 25RS-S
Equa-li-zer, Prodigy, Atwood 3500 Electric Jack & McKesh Mirrors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users