Mods To My New 2018 Outback 325 Bh - Page 2 - Outback Modifications - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Mods To My New 2018 Outback 325 Bh

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:35 PM

Yes I went 2 deep and the top shelf is more like 1 and half deep. A table saw is a must to be able to cut straight otherwise things will not fit. I assembled the supports and shelves in the cabinet and nail them to the supports inside. This case is a case of the right tools make all the difference in the world. Sorry you have had issues with your trim. I have not had any issues with any trim.

Soon I am starting on the bunk room. I will be taking out the fold down bunk and couch. Both will be removed and I am putting in a bed for my daughter. We did not need all the bunks and the couch is useless in that room. If I sit in it my head hits the bunk with it folded up other than that soon to come is upgraded suspension. Replacing the ventless vent hood in kitchen with new shallow style from furrion that gives more room above stove. And removing the 2 burner stove in outdoor kitchen and putting in an induction cooktop in its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.  You are certainly handy!  My kids really like the couch back there but I can definitely see how it could be an issue if you dont use it.  Funny you say that about the range.  That might be my biggest complaint about this trailer.  My old trailer had tons of room but this one is so tight it's really hard to use the back burners.  As for suspension, what are you thinking Mor-Ryde?

Anyway, thanks again.  I will see if I can land a cheap table saw and maybe give it another shot, and yes, hopefully the trim issues are gone.  What size nailgun/nails did you use?  We have pretty much replaced all the main trim in the kitchen/living room area at this point, but at least we are doing it under warranty and let the dealer worry about it.

#17 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 05:47 PM

Yes I went 2 deep and the top shelf is more like 1 and half deep. A table saw is a must to be able to cut straight otherwise things will not fit. I assembled the supports and shelves in the cabinet and nail them to the supports inside. This case is a case of the right tools make all the difference in the world. Sorry you have had issues with your trim. I have not had any issues with any trim.

Soon I am starting on the bunk room. I will be taking out the fold down bunk and couch. Both will be removed and I am putting in a bed for my daughter. We did not need all the bunks and the couch is useless in that room. If I sit in it my head hits the bunk with it folded up other than that soon to come is upgraded suspension. Replacing the ventless vent hood in kitchen with new shallow style from furrion that gives more room above stove. And removing the 2 burner stove in outdoor kitchen and putting in an induction cooktop in its place.

Interesting.  You are certainly handy!  My kids really like the couch back there but I can definitely see how it could be an issue if you dont use it.  Funny you say that about the range.  That might be my biggest complaint about this trailer.  My old trailer had tons of room but this one is so tight it's really hard to use the back burners.  As for suspension, what are you thinking Mor-Ryde?

Anyway, thanks again.  I will see if I can land a cheap table saw and maybe give it another shot, and yes, hopefully the trim issues are gone.  What size nailgun/nails did you use?  We have pretty much replaced all the main trim in the kitchen/living room area at this point, but at least we are doing it under warranty and let the dealer worry about it.

Maybe mor-ryde or some other with a rubber damper. And going with wet bolt kit. The range vent is on furrion website.

Each family will use the bunk room different. For use useless. I can see how others it is the greatest. Just have to turn it into what you like. That is most important.

I have also put in sat to the camper and hooked up a wireless hdmi transmitter. Mounted everything behind tv in living room. And mounted wireless receiver for bedroom tv that I also take outside to tv.
a1b740b6a9ff6f1db45b442b8e2a66b2.jpg30478e16a3750c5565a1c3d059d8f443.jpg

The second pic is tv in bedroom that I also can mount outside. The little box mounted to the bottom of the bedroom tv is the hdmi reveiver. The big box with blue lights in the first pic is the main unit. Also have blue ray player hooked to it so I can run movies and sat through that box to the bedroom tv without moving the sat receiver and blue ray player to that tv.

#18 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:23 PM

Kyle or anyone else, I am curious if you already have, or have considered adding a second AC?  My trailer has 50amp service so I assume it is pre-wired for a second AC.  The one unit keeps things fairly cool but only after an hour or two of cooling if the temp is mid 80's or above.  I'm curious of the cost and complexity of adding the second unit.  Not sure if it's worth it.  

Also, it's funny how the "little things" make such a big difference.  I finally spun the head of the tongue jack part of the 7.1BAL sideways so I can now lower my tailgate.  Wow do little things like this make life a lot easier!!

Thanks

#19 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 04:26 PM

Kyle or anyone else, I am curious if you already have, or have considered adding a second AC?  My trailer has 50amp service so I assume it is pre-wired for a second AC.  The one unit keeps things fairly cool but only after an hour or two of cooling if the temp is mid 80's or above.  I'm curious of the cost and complexity of adding the second unit.  Not sure if it's worth it.  Thanks

Yes added that last summer. Well worth it. I think the unit was around $800 then took about 2 to 3 hours for me to install. Hardest part is getting the unit on the roof with dropping it or tearing your roof with a sharp edge on the new ac unit. It will make the master an ice box. So you can shut the vents and blow extra air to the bunk room. Works great.

#20 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Kyle,  Looking back at your pictures posted last year when you first hung the TV in the bedroom...  It looks like you just used 2 lag bolts and lagged it to a stud the way you would with wood studs in a home.  Is that all you did?  No problem with them pulling out of the metal studs?  I work in AV and have hung many TV's and typically would have used toggles or some sort of bolt specific to metal studs, but I don't know what type of construction is truly in these walls.  Is there a wood backer in the bedroom wall?  Tell me a bit about what you did when you have a chance, and if you leave the TV on the wall when traveling, how has it held up?

Also, did you put a TV in the kids room?  We have a small 27" sitting on a stand back there for the kids in the cutout, but its a pain for traveling.  We have to shove pillows and such all around it so it does not go flying.  Would like to look into reinforcing that cutout and mounting a pull out style bracket in there similar to the living area over the fire place.

Thanks again!

#21 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

First. The dealership mounted the bracket to the frame. We have had zero issue because the tv is riding on the bed when traveling. When it is hanging on it. Zero issues with it pulling out. We found no backer board in my camper.

I did never put a tv in the bunk room. I did however take out couch and bunk in slide and put in day bed for my young daughter. Also added 2 channel wireless hdmi so the blue ray player and sat receiver can stay in one place and watch it all on second tv in bedroom or outside when we move it outside.

#22 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:01 PM

Kyle-  Been just over a year since the last post.  Would love to see some of your additions and projects.  Specifically the range hood and what you did for suspension.  Anything else changed or upgraded?  Like looking at different ideas.  I have not done much lately other than spin the tongue jack head of the BAL7.1 system so I can open my tailgate.

Also, for your indoor LED's, did you just grab power from a local outlet?  How are you switching them on/off?  Also considering doing some external LED's under the unit.  Hate having the awning white LED's or orange light on as they attract a million bugs that all fly in as soon as you open the door.

#23 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:13 PM

Kyle-  Been just over a year since the last post.  Would love to see some of your additions and projects.  Specifically the range hood and what you did for suspension.  Anything else changed or upgraded?  Like looking at different ideas.  I have not done much lately other than spin the tongue jack head of the BAL7.1 system so I can open my tailgate.

Also, for your indoor LED's, did you just grab power from a local outlet?  How are you switching them on/off?  Also considering doing some external LED's under the unit.  Hate having the awning white LED's or orange light on as they attract a million bugs that all fly in as soon as you open the door.

All my led lights I got 12 volt power from the source close to each control unit. Different place for each strip. All stuff was bought from amazon. I got control boxes that come with remotes to control the lights. 1 remote can control 4 boxes. Besides the suspension that I just did. No need for more upgrades I did everything I wanted to get done. My led lights strips are under camper on living side. Around outside kitchen. Replaced awning lights with them. Inside they are around the under of the island, behind tv. And in kitchen nook up high where all you see is the light emitted.

Suspension I did road armor with full wet bolts and heavy duty shackle straps. Huge difference way smoother towing. I can feel it in the truck.

The low pro range hood broke the second time we turned it on. So I put the old back up and got my money back.

If you want to know about something specific just let me know. Camper is in storage but I can explain a lot.

#24 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:03 PM

All my led lights I got 12 volt power from the source close to each control unit. Different place for each strip. All stuff was bought from amazon. I got control boxes that come with remotes to control the lights. 1 remote can control 4 boxes. Besides the suspension that I just did. No need for more upgrades I did everything I wanted to get done. My led lights strips are under camper on living side. Around outside kitchen. Replaced awning lights with them. Inside they are around the under of the island, behind tv. And in kitchen nook up high where all you see is the light emitted.

Suspension I did road armor with full wet bolts and heavy duty shackle straps. Huge difference way smoother towing. I can feel it in the truck.

The low pro range hood broke the second time we turned it on. So I put the old back up and got my money back.

If you want to know about something specific just let me know. Camper is in storage but I can explain a lot.

Did you use the same LED lights for outside as you did inside?  Recall what brand?  How was the suspension job to do on your own?  Did you floor jack plus jack stand on one side at a time?  Anything especially hard?  Thanks again.  Great stuff!

#25 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:45 AM

Did you use the same LED lights for outside as you did inside?  Recall what brand?  How was the suspension job to do on your own?  Did you floor jack plus jack stand on one side at a time?  Anything especially hard?  Thanks again.  Great stuff!

Kyle-  Sorry to keep bothering you but you have been a great help.  I want to pick your brain on the exterior LED's a bit more.  Where did you tap the 12V and where di you mount them?  I like the LED strip under the awning for lighting the site, but it attracts an insane amount of bugs that fly right into the camper every time the door opens.  So I try to keep it off and would prefer lighting (probably blue) under the camper.  Ideally I would like to add them to the in command system so I can use my phone to control them like I do the rest of the lights, but a seperate remote would be fine if that's too difficult.  Same question for places like the kitchen island.  Where are you finding 12V?  I have a 110 outlet there (and have not dug into it too much) but dont thin there are any obviously 12V wires.  And when you do find 12V what type connector are you using to tap that wire? 

I'm planning to buy a few indoor strips and outdoor LED strips in the next few weeks so your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

#26 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:49 AM

i

I did 1 side at a time with my own jacks. You are not suppose to lift the wheels off the ground with the auto level.

#27 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

Kyle-  Sorry to keep bothering you but you have been a great help.  I want to pick your brain on the exterior LED's a bit more.  Where did you tap the 12V and where di you mount them?  I like the LED strip under the awning for lighting the site, but it attracts an insane amount of bugs that fly right into the camper every time the door opens.  So I try to keep it off and would prefer lighting (probably blue) under the camper.  Ideally I would like to add them to the in command system so I can use my phone to control them like I do the rest of the lights, but a seperate remote would be fine if that's too difficult.  Same question for places like the kitchen island.  Where are you finding 12V?  I have a 110 outlet there (and have not dug into it too much) but dont thin there are any obviously 12V wires.  And when you do find 12V what type connector are you using to tap that wire? 

I'm planning to buy a few indoor strips and outdoor LED strips in the next few weeks so your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

I ran strips on the crane under RV. Replaced led light strip in awning with multi colored led light. Pulled old out of track and put new in track. If you turn your light to like a orange or yellow the light does not attract many bugs at all. Go multi colored so you can use what color you need. For the awning light I ran the wires into the bathroom through the hole the manufacturer used to run there wires. For the under side I drilled a hole into the baggage compartment.

Not sure how to hook to in command system as I do not have it. But if you get multi colored it is not setup to change color just turn on and off. I always mount led strip control boxes inside out of the weather.

As for the island I found 12 v power and tapped into it by soldering it to the 12v power wire. There are 12v everywhere in a camper. Sometimes tapped into by a light and sometimes something else. It has been over 2 years since installed so not real sure what it was in the island. May have been power to the propane detector but do not remember for sure.

#28 kfp673

kfp673

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:26 AM

Do you recall which heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit you used?  Getting ready to order mine.  I and still debating between the MorRyde and the Road armor kits but leaning toward Road Armor.  Cant seem to figure out which shackle and wet bolt kit to go with however.  Thanks

#29 kylemcmahon1

kylemcmahon1

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:17 PM

Do you recall which heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit you used?  Getting ready to order mine.  I and still debating between the MorRyde and the Road armor kits but leaning toward Road Armor.  Cant seem to figure out which shackle and wet bolt kit to go with however.  Thanks

Do not remember the brand of the shackles and wet bolts kit. I called e trailer and they walked me through figuring out what I needed and sold me the kit along with the road armor suspension. Road armor was not part of the kit. But the heavy duty shackles and wet bolt kit was a kit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users