#1 chuck&gail

chuck&gail

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Outback/SOB:Outback Kargoroo 230RS
  • Tow Vehicle:Expedition

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:18 AM

Getting a 230RS toyhauler. Ok, never had a TT with a slide, so this is new. Any care and feeding instructions? Do they leak? Should I set up on an angle so rain will flow off better? If slide is wet, and we retract it, does the couch and table benches get all wet? Finally, if unhooked, and no stabilizers down, will it dump if there is activity (LOL) in the bed?

Next concern, and a big one, is hitch weight. What I would most like to know is what your hitch weight turned out to be fully loaded, except with no toys, or if you only know with toys, what do toys weigh? Did you weigh with full fresh water tank, or what? Since the bottom is sealed, I can't see where the tanks are, but judging by the fill valve for fresh water, and waste valves, it looks like all tanks are way in back. I'm hoping this isn't a problem, as our toy (a handicap scooter) only weighs 350#. Don't want an extra lite tongue.

Final question is how are they for insulation? We sometimes like to use ours in the late fall, say down to 15 degrees F or so. Will it be ok? How about camping in the desert, can the tiny 13.5k BTU A/C keep up? This model is 27' long, and our 21' HTTTH has a 15k BTU which just barely keeps up in full desert sun. Hybrids are not well insulated in the tent end, but still 6' longer with 11% smaller A/C is worrysome.

Any and all comments and suggestions welcome.

Is it spring yet?
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Lovely Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition Limited Tow Vehicle
2010 Outback Kargoroo 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, TBD# loaded
We can't be lost because we don't care where this lovely road is going.
We have camped in all U.S.A. states except Hawaii. We have camped in all but 2 Canadian Provinces, and 2 Canadian Territories

#2 mountainlady56

mountainlady56

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3007 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 Thor Ace motorhome

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

Hi.
Can't address the weight issues, but can address the insulation/air issues. I had a 27RSDS (now discontinued) that was basically the same length and had a rear queen bed slide. I lived in S GA and camped in Destin, FL, one summer, where temps were 100+ and heat index was around 110+. When it's that hot, you need to have the vent pillows in place in your ceiling vents and shades down/closed to aid the a/c. Also, if you have a sunroof over your shower/tub, it doesn't hurt to put a covering over that, similar to the metallic windshield stuff, held on with velcro tabs, or something similar.
As to the rear bed? I always kept the front nose slightly higher to aid with rain and condensation from the a/c running off. A biggie is to keep your seals/gaskets checked and maintained with the recommended product in your owner's manual, as well. If you're in the direct sun, with the rear bed slide? You might want to consider putting a couple of the windshield heat deflectors together on that, during the day, as the bed slide doesn't seem to be as well-insulated.
My experience was that while it claimed to only have the capacity to cool 15 degrees lower than outside temps, it actually was more efficient than that, and I was able to maintain a comfortable environment. Of course, you have to minimize in/out traffic as much as possible, and plug it in IMMEDIATELY when you get to the campground, set up, and I usually took a ride or checked out the surroundings a while to give the trailer a while to cool down from the ride there. Keeping your vents open with Maxx-Air on the trip, of course, will help with that.
As far as using in severe cold, I have camped with temps of 20 degrees with no problem. I put pipe insulation on the water supply hose OR disconnected from water, and had some to flush toilet overnight, etc. Kept undersink cabinets open to prevent those lines from freezing. The furnace vents running in the floor is what makes it a year-round TT, by keeping the waterlines from freezing in the floor. Also, you might want to consider putting foam or blankets under the mattress on the bed slide to help with insulation in the extreme cold.
If slide is wet and you retract it, you MIGHT get a tiny amount of water, but I never did, as I had the nose up. The seals that surround the slide have a squeegee effect on the slide when it's pushed back in.
Sorry to be so long, but I'm a creature of comfort, myself, and hope this helps!
Darlene
AKA sgalady
My Motto: God will see me through!
Former 06 27RSDS owner & 07 31RQS owner
3/23/09 - purchased 09 Georgie Boy Maverick 315SS
4/11 - 2012 Thor Ace EVO29.1

#3 Gary

Gary

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2014 Outback 310TB
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Chev 2500 Duramax

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

Set up with the back a little lower so the water runs off.
I had mine on the driveway with the front lower and yes water will come in.
Your scooter of 350lbs. will be fine.
The capacity of the garage is 1000.
I haul a Harley that weighs 800 lbs.
Enjoy.
Gary
Camping in the rain is better than working in the sun.

2014 Outback 310TB 2008 Chev 2500 Duramax 2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Stone859

Stone859

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hello:

Just thought I might be of some help. I've been trying to get our 2010, 230RS to tow a bit better and have been asking for some help on this "Forum". One of the suggestions was for us to get our trailer weighed, and we did. One of the problems is that we only take a tandem bicycle in our "garage" so the front is loaded pretty light. Anyway, we did weigh our trailer and the results are in the this "Forum Topic" "Outback Modifications" : "Reverse Axle Flip" : http://www.outbacker...howtopic=33406. One of the posts that I made gives the hitch weight, trailer weight, etc. It turns out that the numbers really come out to be pretty close to what the factory says they are in the literature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users