• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 obx-rider

obx-rider

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

I have thought that I wanted a 23KRS or 230RS since I began looking at travel trailers with garages. One thing that attracted me was the garage area being separate from the living area. I looked at one at a dealership last weekend and the salesman was decidedly negative about front garages. He felt that something like the Forest River XLR 27HFS or Fun Finder XT276 was a better arrangement with the bike(s)load not being on the tongue of the trailer.

I'm a complete novice so what am I to believe?

#2 gzaleski

gzaleski

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Outback/SOB:Kargaroo 28KRS - SOLD
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Ford F-250 4x4 Super Duty 6.4 L PSD

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

I looked at many front garage TT's but I like the side garage the best, especially that it is pretty much seperate from the rest of the camper and it is easier to load and unload. The weight limit for the KRS is 1000 lbs max.

glen...
Glen & LeeAnn Z
2008 Outback Kargaroo 28KRS - SOLD
2013 Forest River V-Cross 325 VRL Platinum
2010 Ford F-250 4x4 Super Duty 6.4 L PSD
Dawsonville, Georgia USA

#3 Northern Ninja

Northern Ninja

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 280 RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 GMC 2500HD

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

We looked at alot and for us the front garage 280rs was the best. The rear garages just took up too much space for our needs. I also wanted to be able to stop on the road and use the dining room without having to unload the bikes. I'm a little concerned about all that tongue weight as well, but I've been told it's not enough to worry about with a good wd hitch. I pick my 280 up in a couple of weeks so I guess we'll find out. :birgits_coffee:

#4 Jewellfamily

Jewellfamily

Advanced Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 312BH - Moonlight Interior
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Silverado Max (1/2 ton 365HP 6.0L gasser)

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Regardless of whether you choose a front or rear garage should only depend on personal preference. The TT should be designed to support a "max" payload in the garage area with axle placement and structural support. As long as you dont exceed the parameters of the trailer or your tow vehicle, either should function well for you.
2011 312BH - Moonlight Interior
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.0L MAX Motor
Equal-i-zer 12,000 lb. hitch with 1200 lb. bars.
Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags

Posted Image

#5 DH Drifter

DH Drifter

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:40 AM

I have the 230RS and have really enjoyed the trailer so far. We have only used the trailer on three short trips but I can say I love the front storage. My tow vehicle is right on the edge of being comfortable with the 230RS so I add stuff that would normally be in the bed of the truck into the cargo area. The weight percentage are much less in the cargo area. Having said that, with dual batteries and dual filled propane tanks and average weight in the front: two zero gravity chairs, travel BBQ, Wood box, and trailer emergency box, I have a tongue weight of 800lbs. I can move some weight around and lessen the TW by 50lbs or so.

Great utility and comfort.

#6 cdawrld

cdawrld

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 230RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2011 Audi Q7 TDI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I went with the 230rs because it was 70% camper 30% garage. Front garage has less footprint needed to unload IMHO. With the Outback I can take the kids and DW on weekend trips. Or load up the shifterkart and all the accoutrements and go off for a weekend of racing in comfort and style B)
Posted Image
NJMP track NE Shifterkart race

#7 Jay Tee

Jay Tee

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Outback/SOB:28KRS
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

I have "filled" my garage a couple of times this year (motorcycle and camping gear < 1000 lbs) and am extremely happy with the front garage.
I was going to get a 'toy hauler' with a rear ramp but glad I didn't. There are too many sites that you have to 'back' in to and having a rear access just wouldn't work.
The side access is so convenient and there's always room on that side (next to the awning).
Jim & Mary Tinlin
Kingman, Az
2007 Keystone Outback 28KRS, 2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty w/6.4L PowerStroke Diesel

Posted Image

#8 Northern Ninja

Northern Ninja

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 280 RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 GMC 2500HD

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well, since someone revived this thread, I'll post an update. We camped all season with the 280 and loved it! The front garage worked perfectly for us. With both bikes, helmets, jackets, boots, etc., we were real close to the 1000#s, but we had no issues. I had to build a ramp extension so the bikes wouldn't bottom out, but that was simple enough.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users