#1 Erik K

Erik K

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2006 Outback 28RSDS
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Dodge Durango

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

I'm starting to wonder if my converter is starting to go bad in my camper. What would be the easiest tell tale signs to look for if your converter is going bad. The reason I think my converter is going bad is that, right now I have my camper hooked up to shore power, and if I turn my lights on, they aren't very bright.

#2 Leedek

Leedek

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 210RS 10th Anniversary (SOLD)
  • Tow Vehicle:2003 Silverado

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:15 PM

You may have a control board connection problem. Control board problems can sometimes be corrected by doing the re-seat dance:
  • Turn off all power to the trailer.
  • Remove all connections from the control board and remove the control board to gain access to the edge connector ( If it has one)
  • Swab pins of the connections and connectors with isopropol alcohol.
  • Re-seat all connectors.
  • Ensure screw down connections are secure.
I worked over 35 years as an electronics technician. MANY times the problem will be corrected by doing what I've suggested above. RV shops will just replace the board because that generates revenue. Next time you have a problem just take the time to power down and do the re-seat dance.

2011 Outback 210RS 10th Anniversary Ed. OBnAustySignature-1.jpg2003 Silverado 1500LT saluting-soldier.gif

#3 Erik K

Erik K

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

You may have a control board connection problem. Control board problems can sometimes be corrected by doing the re-seat dance:

• Turn off all power to the trailer.
  • Remove all connections from the control board and remove the control board to gain access to the edge connector ( If it has one)
  • Swab pins of the connections and connectors with isopropol alcohol.
  • Re-seat all connectors.
  • Ensure screw down connections are secure.
I worked over 35 years as an electronics technician. MANY times the problem will be corrected by doing what I've suggested above. RV shops will just replace the board because that generates revenue. Next time you have a problem just take the time to power down and do the re-seat dance.

Thanks for the info, I don't mind doing a little trial and error work before paying out money I don't need to lose.

#4 Erik K

Erik K

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:37 PM

Erik the converter and the battery work together, so the problem could be either one or both. The battery is the primary source for 12v dc when dry camping or when high current is needed to operate the slides or the tongue jack. The primary task of the converter is to keep the battery charged and in good condition and to supply supplemental power when 120v ac is available. If the battery has gone bad it can put a strain on the converter and cause possible damage to the converter. If the converter has gone bad it will not charge the battery or supply supplemental power, so the battery will run down. To isolate the problem you will need to isolate the battery from the converter and check them individually. What is the age and condition of the battery? Will it take and keep a charge from a different charger? If it does then go on to check the converter output. I just went out to my trailer and turned off the battery switch so I could take a voltage reading at the 12v dc outlet behind the TV and I got 13.20v dc from the converter. I then turned the battery switch back on then turned off the breaker to the converter and I got 12.90v dc from the battery at the same location. Try this and see what your results are. Good Luck.

Robert

Robert, I understand how they both can have the same effects to the camper, and I'll definitely be doing some trial and error work with charging the battery to see if it's damaged....but I'll have to go out and buy a voltage meter to try your theory out. Thanks again!
Erik

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users