Brake Replacement - Problems, Solutions & After Market - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Brake Replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deepvee16

deepvee16

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 298re
  • Tow Vehicle:2016 Ram 3500 CC 6.7 diesel

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:56 PM

We had brake issues last season. Thank goodness for the exhaust brake on our Ram Cummins while descending from the San Diego mountains. 

I decided to not even fool with replacing components even though the shoes are hardly worn at all. The problem lies within the magnets. 

I looked on eTrailer to buy (4) brand new assemblies. Makes sense, and for less than $600- everything is new and simple bolt on. 

The problem is that they don't seem to have exactly what I need. After several emails with them, they threw in the towel. I'm dissapointed, and think there must be someone that has what I need. 

Does anyone else have a source for aftermarket brake assemblies? 

My 298re has AL-KO 4400# axles. The mounting bolt spacing is 2-7/8" all the way around. The assemblies they offer has different spacing. 

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

#2 Guest_moneyslinger_*

Guest_moneyslinger_*

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:57 AM

I just purchased a set of brake assemblies for a 2013 298RE at Adam's Trailers in McHenry IL. Not sure if they would mail them to you....???

#3 deepvee16

deepvee16

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 298re
  • Tow Vehicle:2016 Ram 3500 CC 6.7 diesel

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:31 AM

I just purchased a set of brake assemblies for a 2013 298RE at Adam's Trailers in McHenry IL. Not sure if they would mail them to you....???

Thank you "Moneyslinger".

I decided to have a local RV facility replace all four backing plate assemblies. It is taking some time for the new shoes and magnets to "mate" with the old drums. During this process, I was told by two different shops that the 10" brakes on our 298re are less than adequate, they should be 12".  The bummer is that it would require new axles, and most likely new wheels to fit over the bigger drums. 

There was a huge lesson to be learned that deals with my 2016 Ram 3500. The onboard system allows for (4) different trailers to be programmed. Each of those trailers can choose between (4) settings; light or heavy electric and light or heavy electric/hydraulic. Somehow, I inadvertently changed it to heavy Hydraulic and had no trailer brakes whatsoever because that setting only sends a weak low voltage signal to the trailer hydraulic pump. When I returned the setting to "light electric", the braking much improved. But the real kicker that I discovered is that the Ram only sends full voltage to the trailer brakes at speeds above 30mph. I tested this with a friends new GMC-3500. His feeds the trailer 13.5 volts at full gain, at any speed. While the Ram feeds the trailer 9.5 volts below 30mph, and 12.5 over 30mph. 

I cannot think of why Chrysler thinks that is necessary.

#4 Samantha Nichols

Samantha Nichols

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:09 AM

I take a few hours or more to install Roadmaster but anyone decent with a vehicle can do it themselves. It’s difficult to find places on the vehicle to install the pieces of equipment. However, it works excellent and is extremely easy and small to set up and take out for towing. An excellent option for those with diesel rig/air brakes and works in proportion to how hard you push the brake in the rig to get stopped. That is especially helpful when towing something heavier than a little car in traffic. About half the price of that huge brake box that can fail the camper stores sell. Definitely a great decision/purchase.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users