Mice In The Trailer - Page 2 - Problems, Solutions & After Market - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Mice In The Trailer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 hautevue

hautevue

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 725 posts
  • Outback/SOB:268RL
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Ford Expedition EL, Eddie Bauer

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

I read a mention of using moth balls for mice. They seem to work if around the wheels, under the TT, etc.

But NEVER bring them inside. The smell will never dissipate. It will get into the upholstery, the window treatments, any rugs you have, any towels and blankets, the mattress, mattress cover and bedspread and so forth. It will be a disaster.

Several members commented about putting them around the tires and tongue jack, etc., for the winter. That appears to have helped.
Art, Betsy and Oliver the pooch
2009 Outback 268RL
Husky weight-dist. hitch w/sway bar
2008 Ford Expedition EL, Eddie Bauer trim
4wd, factory tow pkg
Prodigy P3

#17 2girls4mom

2girls4mom

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2012 250rs
  • Tow Vehicle:A large Dodge- DH drives it! :-)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I just asked to DH to stop by the Home Depot for a can of the foam stuff!!!! I am not afraid of mice but I don't like them and don't want them in my TT! :sign0082:

Let me take you back a few years to our first TT purchase. We were boaters, went all over Puget Sound and San Juan Islands... Decided it was time to explore land locked locations and purchased a TT from friends. All was good, had a great summer, no problems until Fall. We knew we wanted to do some fall camping so we did not clean out the unit and just put it into storage for a few weeks. Weeks turned into months as we got busy with school and fall sports.
Spring rolls around and we get the TT out and opened the door to find that mice had a fabulous, heated winter vacation complete with snacks and warm places to live!!! :pullhair: There must have been 50 or more in there. We had to shampoo carpet, replace mattresses, took apart the furnace and cleaned the ducting, etc. no place was untouched! Disaster!

Needless to say, all food comes out of the TT at the end of the season. I now pack all packaged or pouch products in plastic containers. Example: I take macaroni and cheese out of the box, put in sandwhich bags and label goes into a bin. If I am unfamiliar with a product, I cut out the instructions too. Cake mixes, corn bread mixes, etc. all get put into a large, locking plastic bin. Sauce packets, dressing mixes and so on all have a bin to go into as well. The only things not in a bin are canned or jarred foods.

I also wash all the bedding at the end of the season and put it into the space saving bags and stick them in the shower of the trailer. Pillows & towels get compressed in the bags too. In Spring, release the seal and fluff up and ready to go. (I have also found that trailer supplies don't get mixed into household supplies over the winter thus starting the great hunt to find everything!)

Needless to say we learned from a huge newbie TT mistake. We never had those kinds of problems while boating...just sea otters making a mess of the swim step! I probably go over board keeping things cleaned, mouse proofed ans stored but I don't ever want to get into that position again!

So, I need some foam ASAP for the front cap! Thank you for posting this information!

Edited by 2girls4mom, 08 June 2012 - 12:39 PM.

2012 250RS, DH & DDx2, oh and the DH 's big truck! :o)

Posted Image

#18 Dub

Dub

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Tundra Ltd 5.7L

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Got mice in mine this past winter for the first time, I think it was just one because that's all I caught and I still have traps out. They were underneath the kitchen and bathroom sink as well as the bathtub. I think they got in underneath the camper somewhere and followed the drain from the tub up and then followed the water lines to the kitchen area. They didn't get anywhere else.
2008 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab 4x4 5.7L 4.30 gears 10,300lbs Towing Capacity
2009 Outback Sydney Edition 310BHS 12K Equal-i-zer, MaxxAir, Electric Tongue Jack
Posted Image

#19 vdub

vdub

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1991 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

Moth balls will keep mice out of most areas, but if you do have a few mice, then set a plain old fashioned spring trap with a little peanut butter on trigger. The peanut butter will last for a couple months. Put the trap wherever the mice seem to be accumulating and just leave them there. We know where our weak points are for mice and we leave live traps their all the time. Once in a while we will catch something. They aren't big enough for bbq or even a nice stew, so they generally get tossed....
Posted Image

#20 duggy

duggy

Master Member

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 250RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Chevrolet Express 2500

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

As to the original pictures of the slide mechanism, our 2011, pre anniversary edition, has the same hardware. We were camping in mid April, and had a squirrel getting into the underebelly by way of the large hole around the "pipe". I stuffed a work glove in the hole for the duration of the weekend. When our slide is retracted, the hole is blocked tight. We leave our slide retracted in our driveway, so this is only an access point while camping.
Doug & Lauren
2011 Outback 250RS
2010 Chevrolet Express 2500, 6.0 litre
Equal-i-zer hitch, Prodigy brake controller
Posted Image

#21 Ashley & Nicole

Ashley & Nicole

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2005 28 BHS
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Buy some dryer sheets and put them throughout the camper....I use the entire box when the camper is going to sit for a while. Won't have a single mouse....plus it smells good. Give it a try!

#22 theskinnies

theskinnies

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:29 PM

Hey all, 

Reviving this old thread as it's super relevant to my situation.

First, we had mice in the bottom of the trailer (saw droppings under the sink and couch, and heard scratching under the floor). 

We sealed the underbelly and the holes in the floor where the water pipes come in. Laid traps and then... nothing.

Problem solved. ...for a bit.

A couple weeks later we are out camping and we hear scurrying across the roof. Turns out it's inside the ceiling. Must have been trapped outside when we sealed up the trailer so it found another way in. 

Thanks to the posted photo by @TwoElkhounds, I found the mentioned gap at the bottom of the nose cap. Seems like an obvious way in. 

So last night we opened up the ceiling speakers and replaced them with cardboard with a mouse trap on top and screwed the cardboard back in, thanks to the suggestion from @spidey. Today we had a mouse in the trap. 

Now I will keep laying traps to see if there's more, but here's the big question: how should I seal the nose cap? I can't help wondering if the cap was built that way for moisture to have a way to drain out. If I use spray foam, I keep the moisture in. Perhaps I should use spray foam across most of the opening, and leave a few inches on the ends with which to stuff steel wool with peppermint drops added?

@TwoElkhounds, did the factory tour tell you anything about the reason the nose cap was built in such a way? And did you have success after sealing the front gap?

Thanks everyone. 

#23 vdub

vdub

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1991 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

This is not just an old topic, but ancient.  The unhappy young lady in the previous photo is probably out of college and making her own kids unhappy.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users