Adding Doors To Under Dinette Storage Area - Outback Modifications - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

Adding Doors To Under Dinette Storage Area

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 garyb1st

garyb1st

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

Anyone do this mod? I'd like to have access to the storage area without taking the cushions off but am not sure how to remove the front panels. I was going to cut holes in them and add a couple of doors but something tells me I'll regret it. If anyone has done this mod, please explain how you did it.

Thanks
gary and maria
and the cats, leo and katie.

Clifford - Fire Engine Red, 2005 F250 CC Diesel 4X4 Long Bed.
2008 Outback 28KRS
Visit My Website

Posted Image

#2 rdvholtwood

rdvholtwood

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 2947 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2018 Chaparral 336TSIK
  • Tow Vehicle:Seasonal Campers

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:50 AM

I think clarkely did it - click here - and then scroll down - is this what your looking to do?

2018 Chaparral 336TSIK

Vehicle - diesel - purchased down the road; seasonal campers now

"Every person is a new door to different world"

#3 Scoutr2

Scoutr2

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2015 Jayco Jay Flight 32RLDS
  • Tow Vehicle:2007 2500 HD 4X4 Chevy Crew Cab - 6.0L gas

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

I did this mod last year. I got the white doors at a local building supply store (not a chain) and bought the hinges and door pull at Lowe's. The thermafoil white door is very close to the design in the Outback and is just a bit brighter white, but nobody notices until I point it out.

I cut around the inside of the aluminum framing and I also added a 1 X 2 board on the hinge and latch sides, to provide a place to attach the hinges and a place to attach the door catch (so it won't pop open during travel). But it was basically a fairly easy job.

Posted Image

The front dinette seat has a drawer in it already, so I added this door to the rear seat for easy access to the large storage space beneath the seat.

Posted Image

Here's the finished look with the door closed.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Posted ImagePosted Image

2007 29BHS pulled with a 2007 4WD Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L - 4:10 Axle Ratio - Prodigy - Equal-i-zer WD Hitch w/1200# bars

#4 Dan H.

Dan H.

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

Here is a mod that has been done to access the areas under the seats without using doors.

click this link==>Mod without doors
Posted Image
2006 Outback 21RS - In SoCal
2005 Ford Expedition 5.4L with Tow pkg,
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy Brake Cntlr, Diamond Plate, Equiflex Suspension

#5 garyb1st

garyb1st

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

I think clarkely did it - click here - and then scroll down - is this what your looking to do?

I liked what Clarkely did but he has a different trailer. I thought it may have come equipped with doors. If so then all he did was add the drawers and hardware. When my slide is in there's only 12 to 15 inches of space to pull the drawer out. When the slide is out, I still don't have as much space as Clarkely.
gary and maria

2008 Outback 28KRS
Visit My Website

Posted Image

#6 garyb1st

garyb1st

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Here is a mod that has been done to access the areas under the seats without using doors.

click this link==>Mod without doors

Thanks for the link. I like this idea. It also gives me access to the rear bench.
gary and maria

2008 Outback 28KRS
Visit My Website

Posted Image

#7 garyb1st

garyb1st

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

I did this mod last year. I got the white doors at a local building supply store (not a chain) and bought the hinges and door pull at Lowe's. The thermafoil white door is very close to the design in the Outback and is just a bit brighter white, but nobody notices until I point it out.

I cut around the inside of the aluminum framing and I also added a 1 X 2 board on the hinge and latch sides, to provide a place to attach the hinges and a place to attach the door catch (so it won't pop open during travel). But it was basically a fairly easy job.

Posted Image

The front dinette seat has a drawer in it already, so I added this door to the rear seat for easy access to the large storage space beneath the seat.

Posted Image

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike, how did you attach the 1 x 2 boards to the opening?
gary and maria

2008 Outback 28KRS
Visit My Website

Posted Image

#8 Scoutr2

Scoutr2

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike, how did you attach the 1 x 2 boards to the opening?

Since I am not a cabinet maker, I just screwed them together with wood screws. If you look closely at the first photo, you can see the screws on the hinge side that go from the front to the rear, thru the width of the 1X2 and into the rear vertical aluminum tube. Same thing on the front. And then look at the latch side of the door, and you can detect the (painted over) screws that go thru the luan face and then into the 1X2, behind. (Same thing on the hinge side.)

The trick was to get a door that was wide enough to overlap (and hide) the screws in the cabinet face, when the door is closed.

I also added a 1X2 across the bottom, because there was nothing behind the luan face at the bottom.

Mike
Posted ImagePosted Image

2007 29BHS pulled with a 2007 4WD Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L - 4:10 Axle Ratio - Prodigy - Equal-i-zer WD Hitch w/1200# bars

#9 garyb1st

garyb1st

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

Mike, you're a much better cabinet maker than I.

I can't see the screws but think I understand. What kind of saw did you use? I'm good at pounding two boards together but leave a lot to be desired when it comes to finish carpentry.
gary and maria

2008 Outback 28KRS
Visit My Website

Posted Image

#10 Oregon_Camper

Oregon_Camper

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 18051 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2015 Heartland Bighorn 3160
  • Tow Vehicle:2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:51 PM

I didn't have any access to the space below my wardrobe and pantry, so I added two drawers. Simply removed the thin wood they used to close the opening and replaced with drawers from Lowes.

Check out all the shots here...
http://home.comcast....nal_drawers.htm

Posted Image

sml_gallery_535_64_2030.jpg

gallery_535_2497_5704.jpg

Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is now on our Blog Page  - RV With The Tanners

#11 garyb1st

garyb1st

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:20 AM

I didn't have any access to the space below my wardrobe and pantry, so I added two drawers. Simply removed the thin wood they used to close the opening and replaced with drawers from Lowes.

Jim,

Did you cut the wood out or is it held in place with the thin 'plastic?' mounding they use throughout the unit? As I mentioned, I'm not great at the finishing touches. I would prefer to simply slid the molding off if that is possible.

Is the drawer on a metal slide or the more traditional wood type?

Gary
gary and maria

2008 Outback 28KRS
Visit My Website

Posted Image

#12 Oregon_Camper

Oregon_Camper

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 18051 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2015 Heartland Bighorn 3160
  • Tow Vehicle:2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:42 AM

Jim,

Did you cut the wood out or is it held in place with the thin 'plastic?' mounding they use throughout the unit? As I mentioned, I'm not great at the finishing touches. I would prefer to simply slid the molding off if that is possible.

Is the drawer on a metal slide or the more traditional wood type?

The thin plastic they used was removed. It was attached with staples, so once you get it started it is easy to remove the entire piece. I then found a GREAT way to make the drawer slide. (see picture below). I bought under-mount slides and mounted them to some 2x6 pieces of wood. Measure everything a few time to ensure the drawers open/close and for the correct height...then I screwed the 2x6's to the floor...attach rails and I was done. Had to wait 4-5 weeks for the drawer fronts to arrive, but worth it, as they match the Outback perfectly.

What you're seeing is dog food in the drawer, then the white strip is the pantry frame...then you see into the back of pantry. It is a bit confusing when you first look at this picture.

Posted Image

sml_gallery_535_64_2030.jpg

gallery_535_2497_5704.jpg

Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) is now on our Blog Page  - RV With The Tanners

#13 Scoutr2

Scoutr2

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

Mike, you're a much better cabinet maker than I.

I can't see the screws but think I understand. What kind of saw did you use? I'm good at pounding two boards together but leave a lot to be desired when it comes to finish carpentry.

I just used my sabre saw (electric hand-held jigsaw). I cleaned up the corners with a (Japanese) hand-operated trim saw. I cut the 1X2s with my miter saw.

And I've been thinking about the "drawer under the wardrobe" mod for some time, too. That space is almost unusable. My DD uses that space for her personal items and clothing. We put stuff in the bottom, but it is hard to get to and makes it hard for our DD to organize her stuff other than a pile. A bottom to the cabinet, just above that drawer is the perfect solution. It'll give me something to do during Christmas vacation - or maybe early next spring, depending on the weather.

Mike
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 garyb1st

garyb1st

Outbackers Contributor

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

I just used my sabre saw (electric hand-held jigsaw). I cleaned up the corners with a (Japanese) hand-operated trim saw. I cut the 1X2s with my miter saw.

And I've been thinking about the "drawer under the wardrobe" mod for some time, too. That space is almost unusable. My DD uses that space for her personal items and clothing. We put stuff in the bottom, but it is hard to get to and makes it hard for our DD to organize her stuff other than a pile. A bottom to the cabinet, just above that drawer is the perfect solution. It'll give me something to do during Christmas vacation - or maybe early next spring, depending on the weather.

Mike

Thanks for the info.

We have the same issue on our under wardrobe storage. It's like the huge storage area between the front seats of our F250. Lots of room but what's needed is always at the bottom. Impossible to organize anything inside.
gary and maria

2008 Outback 28KRS
Visit My Website

Posted Image

#15 rdvholtwood

rdvholtwood

Outbackers Contributor

• Administrator
  • 2947 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2018 Chaparral 336TSIK
  • Tow Vehicle:Seasonal Campers

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

I liked what Clarkely did but he has a different trailer. I thought it may have come equipped with doors. If so then all he did was add the drawers and hardware. When my slide is in there's only 12 to 15 inches of space to pull the drawer out. When the slide is out, I still don't have as much space as Clarkely.

Both models - the 250RS (mine) and 310BHS (I am pretty sure for this model also) have one door for access under the dinette. The width of all the trailers is 8' - so I think the space issue is the same for any trailer considering that mod.

2018 Chaparral 336TSIK

Vehicle - diesel - purchased down the road; seasonal campers now

"Every person is a new door to different world"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users