skippershe - Viewing Profile: Topics - Outback RV Owners Forum

Jump to content


Member Since 21 May 2006
Offline Last Active May 10 2017 11:48 PM

Topics I've Started

A Big Thank You

15 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

To my dear Outbacker family,

I know, it's been 3 months since I've disappeared and I just haven't been able to sit down and write.

First of all, I want to thank everyone here for all the love and support I have received since Pat passed away on January 8th. I have never felt such an outpouring of sincere caring everything that you all have shown. The gifts and cards and private messages have been amazing and I just don't how I can thank you all enough.

I will try to explain what has happened...

I came home from a night shift at Starbucks, but before coming home, I called Pat to see if he was hungry. He told me that he would like a Chicken Chibatta sandwich from Jack in the box, so I brought it home and he commented on how good it was. He then told me that he was tired (around 10:00 pm). By around 11:30 that night, I heard him throwing up violently in the bathroom which lasted about 10 minutes. He came out and said he didn't think that sandwich agreed with him. Thoughout our marriage he would throw up like this if he ate something yucky, so I didn't feel any cause for alarm. He came into the living room where I was sitting and layed down on the sofa next to me. His only words were "My chest hurts"...He then sat up suddenly and leaned forward with his head in his hands. I was rubbing his back when it occurred to me to ask if he could be having a heart attack. He didn't speak, he just suddenly collapsed face first onto our glass coffee table and started gurgling like he was taking his last breaths right in front of me. I ran for the phone to call 911 while screaming his name...Our son Michael was sleeping in his bed and I still do not know how he slept through my frantic screaming. The 911 operator asked me if Pat was breathing, but he fell face down on the rug between the sofa and the table and I was unable to turn him. He tried to lift his head and get up, but I told him to stay down and that help was on the way. It felt like forever before they arrived. They had a tube down Pat's throat to breathe for him, an IV and a pad on his chest. By this time I was on the phone calling his brother to have he and his wife come over so I could go to the hospital, as I couldn't leave our son alone. I was watching the monitor that they had hooked up, and it was flatlined. They rushed Pat to Hoag hospital and I arrived around 20 minutes later. We were shown a small waiting room, and the minute I saw it, I knew it wasn't the room where they give you anything but bad news. The bad news came, they were unable to revive him after 50 minutes. My world collapsed and it's been really tough going every since. Our son had lost a tooth the day before, and after being up all night, I had to play the tooth fairy, get him ready for school and then try to figure out how I was going to tell him that his daddy died...after all, daddy put him to bed that night and wasn't coming home ever again. How do you explain that one to a 7 year old boy?? When he came home that afternoon, I took him into our bedroom with his Uncle Larry and told him that we had some sad news. He looked up at me and said "Did my daddy die?" I don't know how he knew, but he did and we had to explain things in a way that he could understand.

Michael is doing amazing and always talks about his daddy and the things they liked to do together. He did tell me yesterday that he can't remember daddy's voice any more (yep, that one killed me), so I guess that's a sign that I need to dig out the video tapes and get them transferred to dvds so we can watch them someday.

So that's my story...I found out that Pat had a genetic disease called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy which he was born with, and never had a single symptom such as shortness of breath or difficulty breathing at night. I have decided to go through genetic testing to find out if our son may have inherited the turns out he has a 50/50 chance of having it. The coroner saved vials of Pat's blood and I found out that to test it, will cost around $5000.00. I discovered a website who's foundation is called where the founder takes 10 pro bono (free) cases a year and amazingly enough, is going to help us out by paying for our testing. I still cannot believe the generosity and compassion, and am so fortunate to have been touched by so many wonderful people and organizations willing to help. There is a church that is paying 2 months of our mortgage that will allow me to save the money for our property taxes this year. The same church is also giving us $100.00 market gift cards for the next 6 months. My husband's company is paying for our COBRA until the end of June and also reimbursed me for the entire cost of Pat's funeral.

Since we had never discussed what our final wishes would be if one of us passed away, I had Pat cremated and scattered his ashes from the back of a beautiful 50 foot sportfisher right next to the Huntington Beach Pier about 300 yards from where he loved to surf. You could hear the surfers whooping it up while they were enjoying a huge swell and great waves. The sun was out, dolphins swam by us and I was told that a large butterfly flew up to the back of the boat after Pat's ashes were released and we had headed back to the harbor. We each threw a flower into the sea in Pat's honor and circled the blueish white cloud of ashes that formed under water after the release.

There are so many details that I could go into and I know I'm totally rambling right now. This is the first time I have had the nerve to just start typing, so forgive me for the lousy composition.

I am now back at work so I can get insurance benefits. Thank goodness that Starbucks offers full benefits with only 20 hours per week. My hours are perfect and they allow me to drop Michael off at school and pick him up by the time he's out for the day.

I love receiving email and PM's, so please don't think you are invading my privacy any longer (not that any of you ever have).

I will probably be listing our truck and trailer for sale as soon as I am able to face the fact that I just cannot keep them sitting around. Not that I can't bear to look at them, but because I don't want them to just sit and not taken care of. It kills me to even think about selling.
Please, if you do have interest in either the truck or trailer, Honda quad, Harley Davidson, massive gun collection and safe (Kind of kidding with the list, but thought I'd throw them all out there, and yes, Pat died with the most toys) feel free to contact me.

I will try to promise, now that I have finally spilled my story, that I will try to be a bit more involved here. I miss you all, and I hope to get to know the many new members that have joined Outbackers since my absence.

Love, Dawn

My Husband's Brother Was Attacked And Killed By 2 Pitbulls

20 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

We were on our way home tonight from taking our son and his friend to Medieval Times when we got a phone call from Pat's oldest brother telling us that their brother Gerald was attacked by his wife's sons pitbulls in the back yard. They live in Riverside, Ca. We don't have many details yet, but we were told that he bled to death from his wounds. He was in his late 50's and had been suffering from MS for many years. He never stood a chance against such an attack.

The minute I got home, I did a search on Channel 5 news and found this very indescript story about what happened:

Local Man Attacked and Killed by Family Pit Bulls

December 19, 2008

RUBIDOUX - A Rubidoux man was attacked and killed today by his family's two pit bulls, a sheriff's sergeant said.

The attack was reported at 5787 Kenwood Place at 12:10 p.m., according to sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez.

"It appears at this time it is a very tragic accident," Gutierrez said.

"Of course this family is very distraught, right before the holidays," the sergeant added.

Gutierrez said it was not immediately clear what prompted the attack by the dogs, which were owned by someone in the family but may not have been specifically owned by the victim.

"I don't think he owns the dogs," he said.

The dogs were captured and will be euthanized, Gutierrez said.

Huntington Harbor Boat Parade Tonight

07 December 2008 - 05:38 PM

I've been invited to co-skipper this 50' Wellcraft tonight in the Huntington Harbor boat parade. A friend of mine just acquired it not too long ago and is looking for a licensed captain to run it for fishing charters. I haven't used my captain's license in quite awhile, so I'm excited at the prospect of getting back into running boats again!

Posted Image

Is There A Television Repair Person In The House?

24 November 2008 - 10:05 PM

We have a Mitsubishi WT-46807, which is an older model projection tv set.

It was having color seperation problems, so we had a repair man come over on Saturday. He installed a convergence kit, cleaned up the whatever is inside, sealed it back up and $382.00 later, we had a tv that was watchable again.

Well, this afternoon, my son went to turn on the tv and the power switch clicks and the green power light comes on for about 2 seconds, then it shuts off <_<

The only thing I can think of that could have happened was when the guy pulled the front control panel off to unstick it, cause it's been stuck in the open position for a couple of months now.

I called the repair man and told him that it had never done this before. He told me that he was going out of town and would be able to come back on Wednesday......WEDNESDAY???? How am I supposed to live without my DVR until Wednesday????

All we can think of is that this guy is going to call it a totally seperate problem and start the fix it meter right back up again :rolleyes:

My son and I are trying to make the most of our evening baking cookies and playing UNO by the fireplace, but I'm really missing my shows!

Any advice on something simple to check on in the meantime would be GREATLY appreciated!

It's Fall?? Not Here It Ain't!

15 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

I can't stand it anymore!

It's the middle of November and 93 degrees! The Santa Ana winds are back and once again, So. Calif. is on fire...The dry hot air and smoky haze are simply more than I can take :angry:

I guess we should just be thankful that we haven't lost our home like so many others have over these past couple of days :(

Just had to vent!!