230Rs Or 280Rs Is The Question?? - Kargoroo - Travel Trailers - Outback RV Owners Forum

Photo

230Rs Or 280Rs Is The Question??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 F Branch

F Branch

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 Outback 230RS Toy Hauler (Next Month)
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 FORD F2500 XLT Super Duty 6.4L Diesel

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Being a Newbie at pulling/enjoying a Travel Trailer, I would like to get it right the first time. I am hoping someone else has sort of the same setup, or can tell me how the 280RS handles compared to the 230RS. I like the idea of the extra pull out (dinette area), but the 280RS is 1200lbs more and 5 feet longer than the 230RS. I read a few listings on this web site how they want to go from the 23 to the 28, so I rather get the extra space to start with. But I won't trade safety for comfort. All advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the advice, we have decided to go with the 230RS. It gives us enough room and it will be easier/safer to pull.

Thanks.
The wife, GUNNY(Boston Bulldog) and I enjoy camping in the Colorado Rockies and State Parks. Going from an Outfitters Tent to a OUTBACK 230RS. Still use the Outfitters Tent for the mountains and hunting.

#2 twincam

twincam

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thats a tough decision, i guess if it were me id go with the 280, but you have to decide which floorplan works better for you, good luck with your decision!

#3 Justman

Justman

• Legacy Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2009 Jayco 31.5BHDS
  • Tow Vehicle:2006 Silverado 3/4 ton Duramax

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

Howdy!

Believe you can drag either trailer around just fine. The diesel will pull the 23 footer easier than it would pull the 30 footer, but it should pull either of them just fine.

Good luck in your search!

TV - 2006 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison, Putnam XDR Class V Hitch, Curt front hitch for bike rack, 37 gallon RDS auxiliary tank
TT (SOB) - 2009 Jayco 31.5 BHDS, Pull-Rite Hitch

gallery_2430_426_4143.jpg

#4 Nathan

Nathan

Outbackers Contributor

• Honored Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5524 posts
  • Outback/SOB:Rockwood Minilite 2306
  • Tow Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

Your 6.4L will pull either (or more).

What type of camping do you like??? I ran into limitations with trailers over 30'. If you don't have that issue, the 280 will have a lot more room....
Nathan
DW / DS - '03 / DD - '06
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Previous Combos:
Winstar / Coleman Cheyenne - F150 / OB 28RSDS - F350 / OB 28RSDS - F350 / Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS

#5 TundraRoo

TundraRoo

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2011 280RS (moonlight)
  • Tow Vehicle:2010 Tundra 5.7L TRD 4x4 CrewMax

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

I struggled with the same question - which to choose; time will tell if I made the right decision or not. The length was my greater concern over weight. I just couldn't pass up the fact that the dinette could be used in the 280RS with the KingBed retracted during brief travel stops not to mention the added floor space. My 280RS is 5 feet longer than my old TT which pulled so easily- hardly knew it was there.. and was similar in weight & length compared to the 230RS - you will not have a problem with your combo and I'm sure you're going to enjoy the Kargoroo! ~Phil
2010 Tundra 4x4 TRD 5.7L CrewMax
2011 Outback 280RS "Moonlight" Kargoroo, Equalizer 1200#, Atwood 2500, Dual 6v Batteries
2007 Yamaha XT225
2007 Yamaha TW200
2008 Crestliner 1650 Sport Angler 60hp Merc EFI OBM

280RS Photos (inside & out)

Posted Image

#6 john7349

john7349

Outbackers Contributor

• KOALA Club Charter Member
  • 716 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2017 Jayco 321RSTS 5th Wheel
  • Tow Vehicle:2015 Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab 4x4

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:05 AM

On a smaller note, make sure your new TT will fit in the parks that you want to visit. crybaby
John & Pam
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel
TT 2008 Outback 21RS
6 Volt, 220 Amp Costco Batts (Costco item# 245725)
1000/10000 Equal-i-zer

#7 Gary

Gary

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2014 Outback 310TB
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Chev 2500 Duramax

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

I have had a 2007 23 KRS and now have a 2010 28ORS. Love them both.

The TV i have is a 2008 Chev 3/4 ton desiel which pulled them both, no difference.
The truck is amazing.
You can accelerate going up hill on the 8% grades in the Rockies, and the transmission down shifts on it own going down hill.

The 28ORS is nice with the side pull out. The extra length is a waste of space for me and my wife. It was nice when the kids and grandkid came with us.
If Keystone made a 23 Model with the side slide out, I would sell the 28 and go back to the 23.
It just worked for us.

Buy the one that works best for you.
Gary
Camping in the rain is better than working in the sun.

2014 Outback 310TB 2008 Chev 2500 Duramax 2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Beachnut

Beachnut

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2010 230RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hello
We just purchased our 230RS on 11/10/10 and have gone on two 6 night 7 day trips so far with it! We LOVE it!!!! (First night ever in it dropped to 23 degrees!) We up-sized into this 230RS trailer from a very large tent trailer (2005 Rockwood Premier 2308). Have you ever towed a trailer? We went from like a 17' pop up trailer to this 27' 230RS and it is truly a monster compared to the "huge" tent trailer we had. So to go even bigger to the "28" which is actually 30' is even more trailer to think of backing, maneuvering, and parking. Your truck will surely pull either trailer, with no problem, but do consider the destination limitations on that large of a trailer. Here in California many State parks were built for 27' or smaller trailers. We bought our 230RS for national Forest, and BLM land use, but now realize the height, weight, and length of our 230RS will limit us on where we can take this trailer, compared to where we dragged our Tent trailer back into. We have fantastic ground clearance, but the twisty dirt roads / low trees, and potential of having to turn this monster around has some serious consideration and pre-scouting things out required. Storage is also a needed cost / parking / maneuvering consideration.

You are right that pulling over for a quick lunch is do-able in the 230RS for access to the food, and refrigerator, but with no where to sit, and I would not slide out the king bed on anything but a near perfect level surface for fear of possibly messing up the slide. But then that un-level consideration might also limit you sliding out the 28' dinette.

So I think the real question is where do you plan on using, or taking your Outback? If we had to do it over again, we WOULD like the extra room of the 28', but it just would have limited us too much more as to where we would dare to take it. For us, the bonus of the extra space of a 28', would not be enough to outweigh the added complications of the added length, and weight and destination limitations. Plus our big factor is our tow vehicle is a 05 1/2 ton Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3 liter so the 28' would have also required us buying new truck! The 23 is probably max trailer for a 1/2 ton truck!

The Outback brand is a very good choice. It IS a very hard decision to make. Best of luck... Oh, also, do check with Holman RV for a price!!!! We had them email us a price, with average delivery charges, then did the uship it bid process for even better delivery prices, (Even delivering from Ohio, to Coastal California). We took all that price quote paper work proof down to our "local" Outback dealer, and got us a deal that would have been totally impossible with out the Holman RV price quote, in our hand!!! We just said, match it, or we will buy from Holman, and they came within $500.00 of Holman's delivered price, which was $2000.00 below their quoted previous rock bottom sales price! We told them we just needed to see the trailer, live, rather than just on line, before we bought it from Holman, UNLESS they could match the price!!! Try it, and watch your local dealer pull out all the stops to get your business!!! We did get some warranty work done by them allready, so it was worth the extra $500 to "buy local" as you become one of "their" prized customers. (Repairs were small stuff like a drawer slide came loose, a window was sticking, and needed more instructions on how to manually work the slide and such).

Beachnut

#9 Gary

Gary

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2014 Outback 310TB
  • Tow Vehicle:2008 Chev 2500 Duramax

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

The perfect trailer would be the 23ORS with a slide out dinette like the 28ORS
Camping in the rain is better than working in the sun.

2014 Outback 310TB 2008 Chev 2500 Duramax 2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
Posted Image Posted Image

#10 WERA976

WERA976

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2010 280RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

The perfect trailer would be the 23ORS with a slide out dinette like the 28ORS

Can't happen - the two slides would bump into each other inside the coach when they were both retracted.
2004 Ford F-350 Super Duty; 6.0L PSD
2010 Keystone Outback 280RS
Posted Image

#11 Beachnut

Beachnut

• Legacy Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Outback/SOB:2010 230RS
  • Tow Vehicle:2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Update to my previous post...

Well, now we have a total of 10 trips camping out for almost 3 months worth of total time in our 230RS Outback. (All in just 10 months of ownership time). Going from the 17' closed up tent trailer to the 27' Outback overall tow length, was more a visual intimidation than reality as it now seems "easy" to tow, and back up. Our 2005 Chevy Z71 4x4 5.3 liter 1500 is maxed out towing this trailer with full "50" gallon water tank, 20 gallons of extra water in jugs stored in the toy hauler section, and all food n supplies on board for prospecting / dry camping for 3 weeks. I really do not think putting a 1000 pound toy in it would work with this tow vehicle. I have added a "Bully Dog" programmer, and a "The Dawg" fan cooled transmission cooler mounted - stacked in front of the still hooked up stock trans cooler, so I have tripled its trans cooling abilities.

My wife and I have both decided that more "living room" space would be VERY nice! A slide out would give you more passing room and less of that airplane isle feel if the two of you are going opposite directions, so yes the 28 would be nice. Alas, that added length would keep us out of many California state parks, and further limit us in BLM and Forestry locations. The 230RS tow's very nicely over some not so nice dirt "outback" Forestry / BLM roads. I just put the truck into 4 wheel drive LOW and crawl along at 5-10 mph which is the reason for the needed fan cooled trans. cooler. Driving over creek crossings has not been a drag as of yet, which is a great testimony to the good ground clearance under the 230RS. But add another 5' of the 280RS and I think it would certainly drag its tail.

If you were to have more than two people I would say the 230RS would be too crowded. But then we are spoiled and the "kids" are grown and gone. :clapping: All in all, I still think the 230RS is BEST for us. But as stated earlier, it would be even better if they could figure out a way to get a side slide out on it... Maybe put the bathroom across the width of the trailer with 2 pass through doors, one into the toy hauler room, the other into the "living area", naw... Or maybe have the entrance door open to the end wall of the bathroom, which is placed width wise rather than length wise across the trailer thus making room for a side slide out, nope.. How about putting the bathroom width wise across the front of trailer, then toy hauler room,,,??? I think you can see why the 230RS does NOT have a side slide out, just not enough room to do it...

SOooo,,, I would still say for us, and our off road way outback camping, the 230RS is the BEST "compromise" for where we wish to camp. If we were just road warrior's camping our way across the USA, we would opt for a 280RS...

Good luck with your decision! :wiggle:

Have you made a purchase yet??

Beachnut

#12 rjstorlie

rjstorlie

• Legacy Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Tow Vehicle:2002 Durango w/ tow pkg

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:59 PM

Just finished a 3000 mile trek to South Dakota with our new 280RS
Got the 280 because of the slide out DR, was great during a rainy Memorial Day outing
3 couples and the dog made it home during the rain, comfortable and inviting.

The Wife LOVES the garage, easy to put our gear in the front, close off during company visits
quick to load and unload
I wanted it for a ATV, fat chance now!

The extra length of the 280 makes it tight in most campgrounds to stay hooked up but it will fit...barely
If I had it to do over, I would stay with the 280 over the 230

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users