Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. We are getting mixed signals in the thoughts of our purchase of a 04 Outback 28bhs. Our max tow (GCWR) is 10,800 and the TT is 5200 GDW. We don't take much, but considering we add 1000 more lbs in junk, gas, and water and considering our Expy weighs 4000, that puts me about 1000 under towing capacity. Do you think we should have any problems? Thanks for any advice you give.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi PJTE96

First.... Welcome to the Outbackers. sunny

Second.... Our current TV is an '04 Expy. and we did our homework extensively on this very subject. Weight wise, yes you can pull it. What will get you is the wheelbase ratio vs trailer lenght.

We were also looking at the 28R-RS (bunkhouse model).
We ended up with the 25R-RS... For us it just made more sense not to push limits.

Limits meaning that we prefer the ease and relaxing (more relaxed I should say) towing vs. the white knuckle experience.

Each time we are towing the 25' I am glad we did not go with the 28'.

We have 3 kids so it would have been "somewhat" better for the 4 bunks. But as it turns out the middle kid likes the sofa better anyway. and it makes down to a bed easy enough he can do it himself and he just throws a sleeping bag on it. Works well for us

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
PJTE96,

I have the 28BHS towing with a Ford F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L 3.73 LS gears. I am at or just under the GCWR. It has enough power to get me there but in no big hurry. I would be concerned at what gears you have. My GCWR is 12500 and my TV with people and gas is 5800. A GCWR of 10800 is not much, and coupled with the 4.6 is not much power.

Do you typically tow only short distances or long hauls for hours?

If you really read the fine print, all of the weight numbers boil down to the manufacturers recommendations to acheive a certain performance.
Ford lists there numbers with a subprint that says you can acheive this performance if the front surface area of the trailer is 60 sqft or less, that would be a 6ft by 10ft high trailer, my Outback is about 80 sqft, which means I will not get the performance that they are publishing.

Knowing that I am at about my limit, means that I think while packing, and slow down and pay attention when driving. If your not comfortable driving then you may want to swap vehicles to get to a comfort level. When I upgrade my TV next it will be to a larger with much more play room in all of the numbers.

Get a real good hitch with sway control, very important with the length of the TT and the wheelbase.

I am still experimenting with getting the right tongue weight to make the ride comfortable.

I would suggest using your best judgement, if you feel comfortable then so be it, if you are a nervous wreck then change vehicles or TT.

But then again this is just my opinion.

Maybe contact Ford for their input if that helps.

Good Luck

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
The 28BHS is a big moma and a little more trailer than our 5.7 Chevy can comfortably pull. I can tow it quite good on fairly flat ground, but long grades will put me at 45-50mph in 2nd gear with the engine roaring at 3500-4000 RPM's. It does the job but not without a fight. For this reason I am doing several performace modifications to the vehicle (99 1/2 ton Suburban), and will eventually get a 3/4 ton truck with a more powerfull engine.

I dont know what your horsepower and torque ratings are, but you will likely be in the same boat as me or worse with your 4.6L. Also, your shorter wheel base may not be suitable for such a long trailer (29'4" bumper to ball).

I think NWcamper2 is giving you good advice to consider scaling back.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I agee with the last few posts here and my guess is that if you do get the 28 you will be looking for something bigger to tow that baby with before long. If you can afford giving up the two bunks I would go with the 25rss as suggested above.

I had the same concerns as you and went ahead and got my 28rss and two months later I had a bigger TV. After towing with my newer TV I would be lying if I told you I did not want a 2500/250.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. We talked about it and due to limited finances, only one upgrade at a time. We are going to wait it out with the Expy and the Skamper. Then in a couple of years, when Hubby pays off the Harley, we will upgrade his truck and look at a 5er. Thanks for your advice and helping me make a good decision. I appreciate it and will be back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts