Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Who else gets sucked in by the tractor-trailers? Going south on interstate 85, rolling along at about 65 mph every time I'd see a 18 wheeler coming up from behind I'd hold on the steering wheel, because when the nose on their rig would get along side of the outback I was being sucked in. The suction would go away when the nose reached alongside my truck. No sway whatsoever, stayed straight as an arrow, just my whole rig being pulled to the left or right, depending on which side I was being passed. However, on the return trip rolling along about 70 mph, It was'nt as bad. I guess I was getting used to it. When I was in the military I drove a 18 wheeler a time or two, 5 ton, duece and a half, pulling a 40 foot hydraulic antenna, but it was'nt white knucknel as this. Old age?

PS Had a good time, Jr won, Campground just barely ok
PSS Still looking at that F250 HD
Wood

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have that problem at all. I'm pulling a 25FB with a 127" wheelbase Dodge Ram Van 2500 and tractor-trailers - even passing at 20 mph faster than my speed - do not cause the suction you mention.

Are you sure your tow package is set up correctly?

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I pulled my 23' Kiwi from Northern Cal to Eastern WA last year, felt what you described too. A lot seemed to have to do with cross winds though. Some times it felt it bad others not at all. I always get nervous when the big boys pass me like that, then again they are supposed to be going slower than me!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Wood...
The tractor trailers throw off a pretty good wind turbulance, as does my rig. I feel a slight suction when passing as well, the same as you. I just write it off as lots of air pushing around each of the rigs. You are right though...I hang on when near a big rig.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Regarding backing up a trailer, my wife made me agree not to EVER get angry before I could buy the 28 footer. I survey my spot and then just take my time. My wife helps but it's my job to park it without hurting anything. We used to own a boat and trust me, watching husbands and wives get boats in and out of the water is equally funny. I have seen a few slide off the trailer onto the ground a few feet short of the water. OUCH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts