Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after reading some of the posts here and on rv.net it seems that everyone is pretty happy with their Outbacks. We loved ours, the layout, the brightness...until our first outing...Rain and then the bedroom flooded. All due to the design of the drip/gutter spout. At anyrate, we gave the dealership ample time to repair, in which they did after 3 tries. Now we go out on our second outing of 2004 and the walls in the bedroom are now buckeling....BLAHHH!!!. We are at a loss, do we become inconvienced again and return it to the dealership for them to now rip it apart on the inside and fix it? Here we are prime camping season and we still cant use our "NEW" trailer. We are thinking of trading it in? Any suggestions?

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I hear you! I had quite a few issues for the dealer to work out. Many of which were STILL NOT FIXED after 3 trips back! I blame OUTBACK QUALITY CONTROL, and my SERVICE DEPT.

Most of these leak issues stem from minor things, and are not hard to track down. I would say...don't give up. Don't lose hope just yet. Nothing is absolutely perfect, but water leaks and damage can be fixed.

Good luck.

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. The bright side is that you can use your warranty to the hilt and you'll end up with a trailer that's better than new. If you trade it in, you may be taking a gamble with more problems, no matter what the brand. I know it stinks to go back and forth to the dealer, ours is 2 hours away and we're going back next month for the sixth time. Pretty sad you have to go through all this, but after you deal with all the issues you'll be able to enjoy a really nice trailer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions/comments...we're still undecided about what to do as our warrenty runs out in July. I asked the dealership who would be responsible for future problems that we have crop up due to the original water leak that flooded our bedroom and he said unfortunately I would have to take that up with Keystone, from which I have gotten no help. The dealership has been very helpful to the point of doing whatever it takes to make us happy. Its just a shame that for the last two camping seasons we have to have our unit in the shop and not be able to enjoy it. As for having a brand new camper when the dealership is all done fixing things sounds good but is it really the same after they strip the whole inside out and start fresh? We're going to see what the dealership has to offer as a trade Wed evening, but before I sign any paperwork again you best believe a new unit will be gone over with a fine tooth comb!!! Some of our leaking signs were already visible when we bought our outback, we just didn't know where to look. Thanks again for all your suggestions.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
We had a small leak around one of the lights last year. The dealer dried it out and resealed it. They made out some kind of note on the warranty with keystone that if it led to more problems after the warranty is up it would be covered.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
hello cgtrivett
we too had the same problem. we had a 21rs that water leaks a plenty. we had doors reworked and replaced. we had windows replaced. we had the roof reworked ---it had wrinkles in it the size of man's arm.think what that does at highway speeds.we got scared as our warranty was nearing its end so we traded up to the 23rs--same camper but with an extra queen bed and lots more storage
we went over that unit with a fine tooth comb and most the day just checking to make sure it was 'alright'
it has proven so far to be in good shape. we intend on taking it on its maiden voyage this friday for a weekend run
. hope if you go into a new unit that yours turns out as well ours did!!! good luck mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
You got a lemon and you went and bought another unit from the same manufacturer? Man, you've got FAR more guts then I do, because I would have told Keystone to kiss my as... well, you know what I mean.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Okay, I have been reading up on the Outback issues and would like to ask/add some of of my story..My husband and I purchased and picked up 25rss on April 4th, took it to Gulf Shores for 7 days and dropped it back to the dealer.Had is for 10 days and we had major water in our trailer. It is now at Keystone, And they want us to accept it after they have checked/repaired the slide out seals. Mind you the water was going between the walls and up on the ceiling through out the whole camper and in all the closets-cupboards.
Has anyone ever had them REPLACE your unit? We are totally sick about it! And Keystone is saying "The roof is not leaking" But the dealer saw it was WET when we dropped it off to them. The dealer is pawning it to Keystone and Keystone is acting like it is not a big deal!
We do love the layout of this unit, and looked all winter for "The perfect one" Thought we found it, But I think we found a big headache insted......

·
Registered
87 Posts
Knock on wood I love our 25rss.

Yes I had a water leak at 1st after a rain, but that was because we had a stick stuck under the slide out seal.

It has never leaked so far.

It's just like buying a car you never know what you are going to get.

Bill

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
My 25 RSS leaks are under control. The worst one was the bike door. KEYSTONE has since redesigned the door on new models. The door was a great idea, but just wasn't designed well. Not to mention the rain gutters drain right down the door!

It was high and dry after the snow melt, so I think I'm ok now. (crossing fingers)

I'd be worried if I were you. Water in between walls or ceiling is not good. Check your laws to see if you have any rights under Lemon Laws, and push KEYSTONE hard about it.

Buying a new trailer shouldn't be this stressful! Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts