Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to source the hurricane hinge for the outside galley door for the 10th Anniversary 312BH, or have a solution to replace that hinge?

The door shock locked up on me, I reached up to close the door, and it split the hurricane hinge... the split is only ~8 inches, on the part that is attached to the door, but enough that I want to replace it.

Unfortunately, I am told that while Keystone would be happy to make me a door for $1500, the hinge is not available separately.

I looked at the RecPro hurricane hinge, but the profile is not the same as what is on the door, although the length is exact at 62".

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Some pictures would really help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm sure pictures would help.

I'll take the door off so I can get a better image when I have time, which won't be for several days.

Wood Yellow Rectangle Material property Composite material

The door itself is about an inch thick.

I can find whole doors, custom made, with what appear to be the correct hinge, but I've not been able to find just the hinge, or even just the male part of the hinge that attaches to the door. And I'm not spending $600-$1500 for a whole door when it is just the hinge that is in need of replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Something like this ebay, or this amazon? I have found that when I can't figure out what something is called, I do a google image search on various terms until I find pictures of the thing I am looking for. Once I find what looks right I get the real name from there. I did a search on rv outdoor kitchen hinge and eventually figure out it's called a teardrop hinge. Google

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neither. I have one of those already, the profile is wrong. The male/lower part of the hinge needs to go back in between the body of the door and the side of the trailer, not stick out past the female part. I already knew it was a teardrop/hurricane hinge (see my comment above about the RecPro hinge, this exact one you referenced), I just can't find one with the correct profile that isn't already attached to a door... see also above about not wanting to spend hundreds of dollars for a full door when all I need is a hinge.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
All I can find is the same hinge on amazon connected to recpro brand doors. Perhaps you could contact recpro to see if they would sell you the hinge material. Amazon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, to close this out - I found a hinge that was reasonably close... but still not close enough.

92" SET White Aluminum Vinyl Insert Belt Rail Hinge Basement Compartment Door | eBay

The hinge profile is closer, but still not the same as what is on there, so it turns out I would have to replace both hinge pieces to get it to work. That would mean more serious modifications than I want, as I would have to mount the upper hinge to the exterior of the body rather than inside the door frame. Not to mention the changes I would have to make to the door itself to get that hinge to fit.

So, I broke out the JB Weld and... it didn't work. Too much torsion on that point. AND it turns out when the shock broke it weakened the shock mounting point on the door. I did the repair, replaced the gasket, got it all back in, and when I went to close the door the shock mount started rotating inwards.

New door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts