Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We own a 2000Merc. Mountaineer 5.0, V8 with a "sticker" in the door saying 5540 lbs GVWR......... Sorry for my ignorance- I am very new at this and looking to you outbackers for help! Our wheel base is 110" and we have the "towing package" on the truck.

I have been told by a dealer (who I want to trust but......)that we would have no problem towing this TT....

I know there is equipment/ tires to make this the safest towing experience. What would we need to get to improve our towing? Sway control... Different tires....... Load me up with suggestions so I can price it all out and feel confident I will not be destroying the truck or 21RS by cheapin' out of the stuff we really need.

Anyone else tow a 21RS with a Merc Mount or Ford Explorer?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tow a 25RS-S with a similar vehicle...Explorer. It has the 4.6 with the towing package.(blah, blah, blah) and it is ok. The suspension is squishy. You will definitely need weight distribution hitch (I suggest sway control). I am running the Reese Dual Cam system with a Prodigy controller and I am happy, but, because it is a lighter SUV, the sway and weight distribution system make the suspension feel squishy. The lease is up on the Explorer in December and I am going to consider a heavier truck for the suspension issues.

I just drove the 25RSS from NH to GA in January (Yes I am a nut), and it was fine. Gas mileage ranged from 7-9mpg, which meant stopping for gas every 140 miles or so, but it was ok.

Good luck.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Check your tires, are they good LT tires? The stiffer sidewalls on a LT vs. a passenger tire helps, and a hitch like the Equali-z-er hitch is a good WDH setup ($399 @ RVWholesalers.com).

Have you checked your weight of the camper? I have this piece that I share, hope it helps...

--
What is the GVWR of the camper? (1)
What is the GCVWR (gross combined vehicle weight rating) of your tow vehicle? (2)
What is the weight of the tow vehicle? (3)
---
Now add the weight of your tow vehicle to the GVWR of the camper. If the weight of your tow vehicle added to the GVWR of the trailer doesn't exceed the GCVWR of your tow vehicle, you're probably fine. You'll also need to consider issues like frontal area (how much trailer is exposed when towing, transmission cooler, weight distribution hitch/sway control and brake controller.
---

(1) Why use the GVWR of the camper? Well that is the maximum you can load it with. Often the factory stickers are inaccurate since they are for base campers that don't include options like awnings, microwave, battery, propane tanks, ovens, etc. The weight also won't include your stuff. So using the GVWR is a true safe weight to go by.

(2) You'll find this in your Owners manual or brochure, if not contact the dealer or manufacturer. The GCVWR is the maximum combined weight of your tow vehicle, your camper, fluids, luggage and passengers.

(3) The true weight of your tow vehicle. Get it weighed, preferably with all passengers who will travel and a full tank of gas and weight distribution hitch. You may find the curb weight posted on the driver door of the tow vehicle, but this weight may not be accurate since it won't include vehicle options, passengers and luggage, it may or may not include the driver. If you don't want to weigh, then you can use the GVWR of your truck as well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My advice is to be very careful of what the dealer is telling you. Do not assume that they will not sell you more then you should tow with your Merc. That happend to me and I have heard story after story of folks getting way too much trailer for their TV and saying after the fact that the dealer said it would okay.

Of course, your post indicates that your are not going to do this. I was mainly posting that for the ones who are reading these posts becasue they are close to signing the paperwork on a new TT.

I was convinced, by my dealer, when I bought my 28rss that my then TV, which was a Mountianeer, could handle it. Wrong. shy

Continue to do your homework, follow the advice and do the math that Y-Guy posted, and you will be fine.

Good luck.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Personal preference...I am glad to be at least 2000 pounds under max towing. Makes the drive nicer and vehicle wear and tear minimal.

I think Vern pulls his 21 RS with a 3/4 ton vehicle. He is WAY under max towing, and his ride is excellent I am sure.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
You will probably be close to the max of your tv once you load up the trailer and truck for camping, whether you are happy with the performance will be up to you. Best to follow the advice above and get the actual weight of your truck on a scale with the people and gear you plan on driving with. Add the hitch weight, which will be about 500-550lbs with the 21RS. If you are under your 5540 gross vehicle weight, you should be okay.

The gross weight of the 21RS is 5500 and will weigh about 4300-4400 from the factory. Ours weighs about 4900 loaded. Going by Y-guys calculations, don't count the hitch weight twice, if your truck is 5540 with the trailer, the trailer would be 5000 because the hitch weight is on the truck, so the gross combined is about 10540lbs.

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
If Mikes 4900 lb estimate is pretty accurate I suspect you'll be none too pleased with your towing experience. The length of that trailer is probably getting kinda close to what you should be considering too long, but it's the weight that's most likely going to strain your truck a bit more then you realize.

Good luck...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts