Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 230RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2014 23RS and can’t wait to do a makeover to get rid of the beige overload.
Didn’t see any threads for makeovers, so I’m drawing from other RV Makeover ideas from Pinterest.
Planning to:
Remove stripe stickers
Paint walls and cabinets off white
Peel and stick subway tile in kitchen
Replace cabinet hardware
Install covers on dinette and sofa
Take down the useless bunks (too small for almost anyone)
-Replace with a Queen frame and blow up mattress
Curtain separator between garage and living space
Take down valances and replace curtains
Update storage (found lots of info here)
Eventually fix the faded front cap

Has anyone done these updates? Maybe I’ll do a blog…
Picture is the current condition.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I used to have a 2008 21RS which I think is pretty much the same as floor plan as the 23RS. It was the older style as far as finishes go, but the some of my mods should still work for you. There was a post where I showed them all but the pictures don't show up anymore.

Here are some you might like.

First is the most important mod of all. When I sold the trailer I took it off and mounted it to the side of the step on our 250RS.

Extend-a-shower. It really gives more room to maneuver.

A Vortex II replacement fan for the bathroom. It moves a ton of air and was easy to install in the existing vent.

A set of levels at the tongue installed without drilling holes.

Magazine racks over the dinette and couch.

Quickie chocks made from scrap pressure treated 2x4. They fit tight enough that they can't flip when the tires press on them. Very easy to throw down in a hurry when setting up that I come back with the locking chocks for stability.

This is the mod I have gotten the most positive feedback on. We rarely use the outdoor sink and my wife wanted somewhere to set a hot pot. It's a 12x12 ceramic tile with scrap wood glued to it with liquid nails. Made it to fit snuggly in the sink. It can also be taken out for use on a plastic picnic table.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For the shower curtain I’d look into this: New Shower Curtain

I did that shower mod on my shower and it turned out really good, I also have pics under my profile for those. I’m going to have to steal the outdoor tile in the tub idea!

I recently put in a USB-C PD charger and pulled power from the slide light plug, I’ll try to get pictures tomorrow. Here’s what I used Amazon.com: 48W USB C Car Charger Socket, Qidoe 12V/24V Dual USB Outlet PD3.0 & QC3.0 Car Socket with LED Voltmeter and ON/Off Switch Fast Car Charger for Car, Boat, Marine, Bus, Truck, Golf, RV, Motorcycle : Cell Phones & Accessories

My next mod I’m doing probably Saturday is putting in a Maxxair fan 5100K where the vent is above the kitchen.

I put on 500W of solar on the roof that charge the batteries in not time at all. Then I put in a 2000W inverter that i wired into the panel so I can run whatever.

For the main power when plugged in so nothing gets fried, I hardwired in a Progressive Industries EMSHW30C Surge Protector that’s hidden behind the panel box.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 230RS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to have a 2008 21RS which I think is pretty much the same as floor plan as the 23RS. It was the older style as far as finishes go, but the some of my mods should still work for you. There was a post where I showed them all but the pictures don't show up anymore.

Here are some you might like.

First is the most important mod of all. When I sold the trailer I took it off and mounted it to the side of the step on our 250RS.

Extend-a-shower. It really gives more room to maneuver.

A Vortex II replacement fan for the bathroom. It moves a ton of air and was easy to install in the existing vent.

A set of levels at the tongue installed without drilling holes.

Magazine racks over the dinette and couch.

Quickie chocks made from scrap pressure treated 2x4. They fit tight enough that they can't flip when the tires press on them. Very easy to throw down in a hurry when setting up that I come back with the locking chocks for stability.

This is the mod I have gotten the most positive feedback on. We rarely use the outdoor sink and my wife wanted somewhere to set a hot pot. It's a 12x12 ceramic tile with scrap wood glued to it with liquid nails. Made it to fit snuggly in the sink. It can also be taken out for use on a plastic picnic table.

Hope this is what you are looking for.
Thank you so much for these! I saw your previous posts but couldn’t see the pictures.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did a couple mods that I think will be very helpful. I added a clothes shelf attached to the bottom of the lower bunk. I used folding shelf brackets so it can be folded flat and tucked under the bunk if we want to use the bunk which is rarely. The bed frame has aluminum cross members so screwed into one of them and the other side used toggle bolts. Take the luan off the bed shelf first and you will be able to work there. The second mod was to double the depth of the drawer in the closet, there is plenty of room back there and doesn't really eat into the storage bin below it. I used full extension 32" drawer slides so the drawer can come all the way out.

Slides:

Shelf brackets:
Wood Building Gas Composite material Electrical wiring
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Hood
Wood Rectangle Chair Table Outdoor furniture

1 - 5 of 5 Posts