Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took our brand new 25RSS out last weekend for the maiden voyage, and one of the things I noticed right away was that the little tip-out drawer/door at the top of the stack of drawers to the right of the sink seems like a lost opportunity for another drawer.

It looks like there is nothing behind the tip-out door, so I can't figure out why keystone didn't put in a full-length drawer there. Has anyone done this, and if so, can you make any recommendations on where to get a drawer for it? I suppose I can make one, but there never seems to be enough time for things like that....

Thanks in advance!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Don, same thought here too. Its on my list of hopeful mods, I'd like a place for the plastic silverware we use or other small items. I sure couldn't figure out why they didn't make it a drawer either. Keep us posted if you start the mod! I know I'll be interested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same here. Stupid me always assumed the there was an actual reason they put that flip door in as opposed to a real drawer. I broke the first rule.

Never assume anything, it just makes and ass out of u and me.

Keep me posted if you do this mod, Don.

I'm sure it would give me brownie points from my wife.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never mind about keeping me posted on this mod. I just looked in behind our flip drawer and it looks like the kitchen sink drops down behind it so a drawer here wouldn't be feasible.

Shucky darn.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
If I remember right...the electric outlet/tv jack sits in there too. (25 RSS) Maybe a short drawer!

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I went out and looked, it appears I have enough clearance for a normal Outback length drawer in our setup, the current drawers don't go all the way back, looks like they have about 3-4" of a spacer behind them.

Drawer in the closed position, note the extra space behind

Middle drawer open, bottom closed. Need to mount brace supports above the current supports in order to put in drawer glides.

If I wasn't setting up my wifes new laptop I'd head off to Lowe's to find the parts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Definitely send pictures when you finish Y-Guy.

Also in the 25RS-S, I think the bottom open door under bathroom sink is wasted ...it barely clears the toilet and hard to put things in there when hinges on bottom. We dont use it for dirty laundry as it was intended I guess.

We plan to put hinges on left side by tub so door will open like a DOOR!

David

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just completed conversion of tip out drawer on my 2003 25 RSS this weekend. Extended drawer approximately 4 more inches beyond the standard lenght with no difficulty. Given that there are 2 hinges left over, if you are going to modify your bathroom sink cupboard, why not use the left over hinges from the drawer modification.

George and Marg

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not meaning to toot my own horn, but this was the first mod I did on my 21RS. Full length drawer with full extention glides. Works great. Used 1/2" birch plywood and 1/8" mtrl. for the bottom which is rabbited into the side pcs. Just like a real cabinet drawer. I too could not understand why Outback didn't do this at the factory. I'll try to post pics this weekend.

Also in my 21RS, there is a small carpeted step below the rear bed slider. Took that out and made one slightly larger and stained it to match the floor. Carpeted the top which is now hinged for storing shoes, sandles or what ever. I matched the carpet to the forest green colors that are in the Outback. Looks great and works well. Pics this weekend (hopefully).

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
thats a good idea on the step, is it alright to copy the idea. Unfortunatly my wife likes the flip down and the bathroom laundry door and will not let me touch them, I am still working on her, one battle at a time.
Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
I kinda like the tip out...but sometimes when I close it too fast, the things in it just fly out into the drawer below. Maybe I'll attempt to make a drawer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
We have a 25 RS-S and were wondering about that step...wondering if it had anything under it... Might as well utilize all available space.
Our step is fully carpeted. If it's not glued on we could reuse the carpet to use on the top of the box when built. In thinking on it though you could probably use a carpet sample...cheap enough too.

How hard was it to pull up? Is there flooring under it?

Have any pics of your converted step?
TIA

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
NWcamper2 said:
We have a 25 RS-S and were wondering about that step...wondering if it had anything under it...
At least on our 28RSS the step by the queen bed is where the electrical cord is stuffed into when not in use. You could change it and store the plug elsewhere, but it will run you about $75 at Camping World for the conversion plug.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi folks, In the 25RSS the cord goes under the seat for the dinette, so you should be clear in that aspect. I can not think of a thing that is in that area of the box and my wife liked the idea of having some shoe storage. Adding it to the honey do list. kirk

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm going to try to find time to take pics and post them this weekend.
On our 21RS, there was flooring under the step. After removing enough of the carpeting to see where it was attached, it was just a matter of removing three screws if I remember correctly. and it comes right out. I'm not familiar with your 25RS-S. If the space is already in use for something else. Just reattach the step, glue the carpet back in place and it's like it never happened. There was only floor and wall and unused space under mine. For the carpet, I used a thick, plush bath mat that matched the other forrest green colors exactly. I only carpeted the top, but even if you carpet the whole thing, it doesn't take much mtrl. to do it. Watch for pics this weekend.

·
Outbackers Contributor
617 Posts
Alright, I'm the woman to reply to this

The little flip drawer is great for scissors and a roll of tape.

The flip door in the bathroom is great for the trash can.
Plus the extra ceramic heater or the little fan. The stuff you don't use every time, but sure as you took it out, you would need it.

And yes, I could be that WIFE who takes everything. But as soon as I didn't take it. YOU would need it!! LOL

Have a good day everyone

·
Registered
366 Posts
Female here too

I would prefer the drawer to the tip out... tip out waste too much space and I can still put tape and scissors in a shallow drawer

And I want to mod the hinges on the bathroom under sink door. Hinges on the tub side will make it easier to access. With it the way it is you have to stand over the door when you release the net laundry bag(at least that is the way it is on our Outback).
We have a collapsible container (from costco), solid and sturdy, that we use for laundry and it can sit just about anywhere, the tub when not in use makes a great spot. Not much time is spent in the tub/shower anyway

Little heater and fan can go under the dinette seat, always have it and use it seldom. ... best of both worlds
Can't wait to get our Mods done

sunny Beautiful day here in Oregon sunny

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Golden Mom said:
And yes, I could be that WIFE who takes everything. But as soon as I didn't take it. YOU would need it!!
LOL very true... but we'd never admit it would we

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sorry about the delay on posting the pics of the mods. The Member's Gallery won't let me upload pics for some reason.
I've asked for Vern's assistance in the matter. Hopefully corrected soon. In the mean time, go ahead and get a 1/4 sheet (24"X48") of 1/2" thick birch plywood and piece of 1/8 " thick matrl. slightly larger than the drawer will be for the drawer bottom. Some Tite Bond II wood glue, some finish nails or wood screws and a 24" piano hinge, then you'll be set to make the drawer and the flip top step. Pics ARE on the way soon. REALLY. shy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts