Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to the bigger travel trailers and are wondering about useing a cover while we store it in a side yard exposed to sun and dirt. Dose anyone use one? Is it a good idea? something we should look for ect, also we are thinking of buying a generator not sure what we will need, looked at a Honda EU2000 at camping world and it seemed ok but i liked the 3000 better but not sure if it is worth the extra money, and it is abit bigger to carry around. anything we should take into consideration when looking at them? Any help would be great.
Thanks Rob

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Rob, I can't help with the cover, I haven't covered any of my campers, though next Fall I may do the same thing.

As for the generator. Best prices I found were from the Ads in the back of any issue of Trailer Life magazine. As for which one, from what I've read one single 2000 won't power your camper A/C and everything, and the 3000 is close. What is recommended from most of the posts I've read on RV.net is to run two 2000's with a parallel cable. Others here may have more experience, and if you don't plan on running the A/C a 2000 is probably enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also can't answer regarding a cover as ours is stored inside right now.
But we did recently (two weeks ago) purchase a Honda 2000. We love it. It's very quiet compared to our old Coleman generator. We don't use the air conditioning, but it ran the microwave without a problem and charges the battery which is what we really wanted. It's fairly light too. The Honda 3000 is EXTREMELY quiet, but the darn thing is heavy and you really need to buy those wheels with it.
We're quite happy with the 2000 and if we find the need for more power, we'll buy another one.

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
And4togo, Not sure myself about the cover. I'll stand by on that one and see what others have to say. As far as the Honda Generators I sell them for a living. The highest quality available.... I purchased the EU2000i mostly to charge the battery on the trailer and it will run the entire trailer with the exception of the AC. It will run the AC but it's to close to the minimum amp requirements for my liking. The EU3000is would be fine for everything. It is heavy though, as was stated earlier. My thoughts
. The AC is something my family can live without if necessary. Brian

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
I plan on purchasing a cover after this year's camping season. My 26 RS is stored outside so anything to protect the rubber roof, roof units, and the caulking around them from Colorado UV sounds like a good idea to me. I will also wax the camper before storing. During the pre-delivery inspection, the dealer rep told me that waxing the trailer is one of the best ways to preserve that new camper look and protect the fiberglass.

Randy

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
We also have the EU2000i, and it works well for us. It is probably the minimum generator if you want to use the appliances. We do use our air conditioner with the generator, but that's all it will run. We're just careful to use one thing at a time with the generator (like microwave, or coffee, or hair dryer...but no more than one at a time). It will kick out ocassionally, when running the A/C, if it tries to start while the compressor is still pressurized. One big advantage I like over the 3000 is that it's easy to carry around.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've read on other forums that a good quality cover is a good investment. Helps keep most dirt off and also bird droppings. Protection from UV is the biggest benefit in my oppinion. We don't have one yet, but it is on the short list of must have items. Make sure it's one that can breath and fits correctly.We've been looking at some on the internet that have zippers where the door is. I've heard that the blue poly tarps are not good because they don't let moisture escape, therefore, they tend to promote mold and fungus growth.
I can't say much about the generator. The Honda sounds good from what I've read here.

Randy,
Was your dealer speaking of a quality automotive wax or something specific for the finish on the fiberglass? Don't a lot of auto waxes have some very fine abrasives added to them? Just curious what the best wax would be for prolonging the finish. Thanks for any advice.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Keller,

Yes, you are correct...there is special wax for camper exteriors. I saw several kinds at camping World. I would NOT use auto waxes.

Randy

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rob

Where were you planning to put generator....and do you want it for addl. power for TT...or instead of shore power if not available... .we are looking into one also, but unsure where to put it.

There was a RV cover at camping world that look good....Aqua-something,...helps to repel moisture from dampness that gets underneath cover. About $300 for 26 to 30 foot.

David sunny

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,915 Posts
Our dealer threw in a can of Gel-Gloss which I have tried on a couple areas after removing the black streaks. I don't know what it's protective qualities are, but, the areas I used it are slick and smooth just like wax. Also shines real well too.

·
Outbackers Contributor
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cats, we are planning to use the generator for additional pawer when needed and also for charging battery, stuff like that don't really need it for a/c looking at the Honda 2000. The cover you saw at Camping World is the same one we saw and liked.

·
Outbackers Contributor
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David sorry forgot to say we would probably just carry the generator around with us in the car or secure it to something in the TT, unless it is not a good idea to do so. Where does eveyone else carry there generator, Thanks Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
We recently purchased a 23rs and we leave it out looking for leaks. After the factory warranty runs out I'll put in a shed. My experience has been to leave it out in the elementsand find out what might be wrong with it instead of being miles from nowhere with out a fix for it. we had purchased a 21rs and found many leaks in it this way Mike

·
Outbackers Contributor
123 Posts
Rob, I will be purchasing a Diamond plate, lockable, storage box. It will be big enough for 2.5 gal. gas and the generator. I will be mounting the box on the back bumper of the trailer. It was recommended not to store inside the trailer. I,m thinking it would be best to keep (both) outside, not in tow vehicle. I'll let you know how I make out. Monday is the big day for us. Finally picking the trailer up from dealer. We completed all the paperwork in early Jan. but thought it would be better for us to wait until Mar. 1. I had many home improvement projects in the works. Talk soon. Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts