Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has experienced towing the 25 rs-s with a Chevy Astro van? I have done the numbers and it should work but not totally convinced. The van can tow 5900, the trailer should be about 5700. Are we maxing to much???

·
Outbackers Contributor
90 Posts
I think you could pull it if the trailer were totally empty, but that may not be practical.

Our truck has a 6,900 lb towing capacity and I wouldn't want to pull any more of a trailer with it. Our towing capacity is actually total cargo capacity including anything loaded in the truck, people in the truck, and the weight of whatever you're towing. Perhaps your capacity is figured differently?

Our 25 RS-S is 5,000 lb empty and 6,000 lb fully loaded with water. I've weighed the truck and trailer fully loaded and we tend to be very near our max 6,900 with all the normal junk we take camping. The truck works pretty hard going over hills.

I hope this isn't too discouraging.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey campers,
Just my opinion, but I think your getting too close to your tow capacity and there's also the issue of wheel base. I'm not sure the Astro's wheel base is sufficient for good stability. With every thing I've read on the subject of towing, It might not be a good idea. Again,, just my opinion. Be careful and good luck.

James

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,018 Posts
Agreed...I would not attempt towing anything within 1000 pounds of capacity. In fact, I prefer being at least a ton under towing capacity. Your vehicle will endure extreme wear, lose oil pressure, overheat, etc. I have a Yukon XL 1500 with a towing capacity of 8,100. We own a 26 RS that is about 4,800 dry, probably close to 6,000 loaded and everyone on the truck. REMEMBER, you have to account for the weight of cargo and passengers in your truck as well.

Randy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts