Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bad news is that we didn't get to stay at the state park for 6 days as originally planned (a work related thing). The good news is that the Outback REALLY performed well, as was needed. Saturday night, a BAD storm rolled in. The wind had to be 50 to 60 mph. Sheets of rain and the most incredible lightning. Fortunately, the hail was only dime size, but there was a lot of it. The Outback was a ROCKIN'. No leaks and no damage. I was so proud that my little girl started making us practice 'emergency drills'. It helped take her mind off what was going on outside. This also made me think,, perhaps the safest place for little ones, in a 'blow over' situation, might be in the front bunk. There's more framing in that area and little glass. During the storm, I would not let her get into the rear slider. I think it would definately become detatched in a blow over. Should we seek a sturdy structure of some kind every time a storm approaches? We were keeping an eye on the weather reports for any tornado activity and there wasn't any, but I know 'straight line' winds can be devastating too.
I would like to hear some of your opinions on this matter. Safe places in the trailer and such.
Personally, I LOVE weather like that. Some time ago, I spent about 7 years chasing storms to take lightning photos. The worse it got, the better I liked it. I stopped shortly after I started a family though. Can't and don't take the risks I used to.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Yikes sounds wild. We had a major wind storm last week, 40mph and i was towing our Outback home... not fun but I kept it slow. I'm glad you are all safe and sound.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Firefighter Pete says...

Seek hardened shelter...always safer.

A camping trailer is probably the worse place to be in bad weather. I'm about to get a ALL HAZARDS RADIO for this year. Shopping now. I like the MIDLAND WR-300, and will probably shell out for it this week.

I've camped through some pretty tough storms, and have always went to shelters. One time, we lost a tent because of a fallen tree limb, and last year, almost suffered some damage to the OUTBACK. (more fallen trees) One of the most powerful storms I've seen... hit us in a remote area. We saw it blowing in, and got to shelter in the nick of time. (really needed that radio, and won't risk it again!) Tornados were touching down all around us, and the OUTBACK suffered some pounding hail. (no damage!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
How about if there is time to slid in the rear Bed unit???

With this thought, I assume you can sleep in the bed when it is closed if the weather is that bad??

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I think what I would do would be to hook up the trailer to the to rig, keep your stabilizer jacks down, pull in all slide outs.

Sleeping in the bed when its in isn't a good idea, there was a post about this on the forum. Since the bed isn't supported from underneath the weight is all on the hanger in the roof which wasn't designed to carry additional weight. I think somebody had developed a brace for underneath though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts