Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a battery disconnect switch on the 5th wheel, however every time I pick up the trailer the battery is dead (1-2 Months). The jack and the signals don't work. The dealer told me that its my connection to the truck and that the contacts must not be clean as to why the signals don't work.

Today I decided to replace the battery, none of the signals or break worked until I put in the new battery. Also with the disconnect switch off as well as the truck when putting the new battery I get a spark when connecting the leads.

Is there something else that draws power? Anyone else ever put in a second battery disconnect switch? What can I do to prevent dead battery.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Check any hookup lights that are on the front cap of the trailer. They may be connected to the battery prior to the disconnect.

·
Outbackers Contributor
2,067 Posts
There are items that do not (or should not) have the power cut off to them through the disconnect switch such as the LP leak detector and the break away brake switch. So yes, having parasitic battery drains are normal. Have you considered adding a solar battery maintainer? When you say signals don't work, are you referring to the tail light turn signals? If that's the case, I'd agree with the dealer that you are having a truck connection issue as there is no correlation between the trailer battery and the exterior DOT lighting on the trailer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an off-grid aquaponics system in my greenhouse with a PWM charge controller (which I'm upgrading to mppt) and 4 x 100-watt solar panels. I bought A battery that worked fine, but when winter came I found that the pump and air system would work. it uses quite the panels would store, so I doubled the solar energy from 200 to 400 watts and added another of these batteries. Now, with many cloudy days and low temperatures, I've got to change off a touch. Weize is the cheapest 100ah battery I've got.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts