Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel kinda dumb asking this question - but keep reading about "doing the 2 6 volt battery thing" - don't understand what this means
Could someone please clarify what this means. Thanks.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Most new units come with a single 12 volt battery. Some people change out the 12 volt battery with 2-6 volt batteries hooked in series. This will give you 12 volts to operate your trailer, but gives you more capacity. Basically, your batteries will sustain your trailer longer when you don't have electric hookups.

You can learn more about batteries at:12 Volt Side of life

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks NDJollyMon
We are still learning. STill haven't signed anything on the RS23. We are trying to get all our "ducks in a row" before making everything final.

We appreciate the patience and info we are getting from everyone.

Thanks again,

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
BDog,

I updated my battery system with (2) Interstate Workaholic 6 volts, each at 225 amp hours. Each at 64 pounds. I wired them with 4 AWG wire. Simple to do, only about an hour of thinking and installing.

I just went through the whole Memorial weekend running on them and had absolutely no problem. With showers and running the furnace at night, there was still plenty of power left. I am glad I got them in before the long weekend came around, I now feel confident I can camp without electric if need be.

Good Luck

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,877 Posts
This is how I have wired my system, if anyone has any better ideas for it, please let me know, I am always willing to try a better way.

Kevin

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Kevin that's the way I did mine. I also talked to paralax the people who make the converter/charger. They told me the charger will work quicker if you have a direct run from the converter to the neg. side of the battery. So where the neg. wire comes out of the converter to the clamp on the frame I installed a new 6 awg wire to the where the battery clamps to the frame. It may be over kill but the tech said this will insure a better system and it was easy to do. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Jollyman, you have several options, You can use the type at goes on the neg. post or you can put one in line on the neg. wire and fasten it to the frame. Like Kevin said put it on the neg side to prevent accidental grounding of the positive wire. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
Thanks...I'll have to look closer at all the options. I want one that's quick and easy to install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts