Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Hi

Every great camping trip involve BBQ's. I have a portable propane BBQ with an external tank...One more thing to pack and lug around

I starting looking around to simplify things a bit. This is what I came up with.

Buy a Y quick propane disconnect fitting an a 10' hose with a quick disconnect, and attached the other end directly to the BBQ. You can eliminate the regulator from the BBQ because the quick disconnect by the external cook center is already regulated.

The idea is to plug the Y-disconnect into the trailer fitting which is below the cook center. Plug the stove into one side of the Y fitting and the other side to the 10' hose which is connected to your BBQ.

This way you grill some serious ribs and boil corn at the same time outside.

The parts can be purchased at any local propane supplier. Note the fittings are not cheap. The Y fitting cost about $40 Cnd and the hose another $35. On the plus side it saves hauling another propane tank.

Before I try this setup, has anyone done some similar??? The propane supplier told me that he gets this type of request a couple times a season.

Thor

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like the idea. I have been wondering for a while how to do this, but havent got around to doing it. What store did you get the y from?

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Back with my Kiwi and having 2 20lbs tanks I didn't mind, but having dual 30s now I really like this idea.

The only question I would have is: Is the host that feeds the outside stove high pressure or low pressure? If its low pressure as some other campers are that might not work. Beyond that I like this mod!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thor,

I'm confused (this is not a big surprise), if you remove the regulator from the BBQ and have a direct line to the Y, how do you control the flow of propane to the burners on the BBQ?

Ahhh, maybe I just thought of the answer. Are you using a BBQ that has a regulator on the bottle plus additional control knobs on the grill itself? Maybe that's what I'd have to go to. I've got a $20 Walmart-Special grill that has a regulator with a knob right on it...

Chet.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi guys, The LPG presure should be the same at all aplainces. The regulator at the bottles reduces high presure gas to regulated LPG gas(11-13 inches of water) to the main feeder pipe. The only problem you may have when splitting at the outside quick connect is volume, you may have to run BBQ or stove seperatly, you will know as soon as you fire up both units if it will support the two. I think it will work
, keep on posting Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi

I just confirmation from the Propane guys that there is no issue with pressure. The fittings & hose can be purchased at Superior Propane ltd. The note is that BBQ have different fittings and set-ups.

If the BBQ comes with a regulator, then all you need is the adaptor that is identical to the regular. If there is no regulator and you are using the small bottles and screw type fitting will work.

I am now looking for a good portable BBQ, large enough for a family of 5.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thor

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought the "Q" from Weber. Here is the link

Q

I have a family of 4 and always have room left over. I have been looking for a way to splice into the stove connection so i didn't need to carry propane. We but the small lantern canisters of propane, about 88cents at WalMart. 1 of those lasts about 4-5 cooking experiences. I also bought the duffel bag for this grill. I just slide it in one of the doors when I leave and pull it out when I arrive. Easy to clean, even cooking...Very pleased.

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

Great feedback, Thanks. I will look at the Weber BBQ and the bag is a great idea.

Thor

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Has anyone used one of those gizmos to refill the small propane bottles? I like their easy of use, but hate to fill the landfills and of course the cost too.

·
Outbackers Contributor
94 Posts
On the 2004 28frls there is a Quick connect fitting allready setup under the stove on the outside. sunny

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the small Weber BBQ with removable legs and bought a 10ft hose and quick disconnect (similar to the one on the stove). The Y adapter is an interesting idea but I haven't really had the need to use both yet. It sure beats carrying an extra tank around.

·
Outbackers Contributor
584 Posts
I spent $179 on the Weber Q after cursing every other portable grill I've ever used.

I like the Q better than any full size grill I've ever owned. It's great. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A friend of mine had a hose made at propane store made with connections to use the quick connect that is for the stove to his portable grill and it works fine, cost $35 for 15 ft. As stated earlier camper appliances are low pressure but small grills dont seem to mind it and work fine.
We did have a problem when we tried to run a turkey fryer
. Our next mod will be to run it off the main tanks before the regulator to the camper using a T. so the turkey fryer can have high pressure while the rest of the camper can be low pressure.
This option is probly not for most but he really wants to be able to fry a turkey/or boil some crab legs when he camps

I think the outside stove should have been a portable grill with the same kinda hose connection. Then you would have a BBQ grill for out side and a stove inside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We use a 'Porta Chef' by Broil Mate, 20000 BTU tube burner and removeable legs. Because we don't always grill right next to the trailer, I use a 10lb bottle.

Pat

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use an extension hose i picked up at a hardware store that has one end to screw into the tt propane tank and the other end screws in where the propane bottle goes. As only one bottle is needed for the tt and you eliminate the low preasure problem. I also have the webber Q its a great barbque.

Jim

·
Outbackers Contributor
7,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi

Thanks everyone. The way I went was with a 15' hose and a Y fitting from the main tanks up front. I use the the BBQ built in regular and no extra tank.

The BBQ I went with is the Coleman Sportman Gas grill with stand. ($179). The BBQ is pretty good. I saw a fellow RV'er with one and they were extremely pleased with it. It comes with different grills so you can BBQ and fry eggs at the same time. The BBQ is filled with Water so no flare ups and cleaning is a breeze.

I will give the BBQ a good work out next week when we go on our big 10 day trip.

Thor

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 'T' connector that goes between the requlator and the propane bottle. Then a hose attaches to this via a screw on fitting. The fitting on the T looks like what's on the top of a 1 pound propane bottle. The hose has a male and female end. Female end goes on the T connector. Male end gets attached to an adapter that will convert from a 1 pound fitting to a male new style standard propane conector. The standard fitting allow it to be hooked to the stanadard propane bottle connection on the grill with no modifications to the grill. I have a 10ft hose sothe entire thing can be hooked up and the cover put back on and the grill moved a reasonable distance from the bottles and the camper. I don't camp enough when its cold to even put a dent in my first 30lbs bottle yet let alone the second one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts