Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Already have a Honda 2000is but I am wanting the best generator under $700 to take the load off the Honda and for a loaner to family and friends...
So what's the best bang for the buck after see here?
Champion/Westinghouse/Wen etc..Cheaper(less expensive) is better but noise and especially reliability is at the top of the list..
Any actual experiences in a sub-$700 generator?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased 2 Cummings Onan P4500i inverter generators so I can power 50 amps. We traded our Outback 4 years ago and wanted something beefier for our current fifth wheel which is 50 amp. They were not cheap. At the time, they cost over $1100 each. Add the parallel wiring and it was a hard pill to swallow financially. But, the end result was worth it. No regrets now. Money is always recoverable.

Since then, I've been members of different forums and kind of let this one slip since I don't have an Outback any more. But out of curiosity, I checked this one out today, saw your question and so, decided this is something I can respond to.

My Onan generators fit your bill except for the price, but they are heavy. They weigh in at over 100 pounds dry weight and hold 3.4 gallons of gas and about 3/4 quart of oil. Compared to my old generator (Craft King), which is a lawn mower engine with a generator attached, the Onan's are really quiet. I can run both at the same time and stand directly above them and talk in a normal voice and carry on a normal conversation. They run for 16-18 hours on a full tank, and are extremely reliable.

I say all this knowing this is way out of your price range. But on other camping and RV forums, I've repeatedly been told the Westinghouse is the exact same generator. The only difference is the cover and name brand stamped on it. I honestly have no experience with the Westinghouse. And I wonder if anyone who has ever been around a Westinghouse has been around the Onan. They may look the same, have the exact same stats on them, and may actually be the same generator. I don't know. But if their claims are true, the Westinghouse is worth exploring, especially for the price.

But one thing you need to consider also, is customer service, where you purchase the generator from, and how the manufacturing company back-ups repairs and failures in the machine. Cumming is par excellent and the experts in generators! I don't know about Westinghosue. This is something you'll need to explore and be satisfied in your own mind before purchasing.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts