Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, the other day I blew a fuse on my slider so I looked into it. The main fuse at the box on mine is 30 amps. I pulled the switch from the wall and found a auto reset circuit breaker also 30 amps. I think the reason the breaker is there is to trip as the amps go up when the slider is in all the way. Because both the breaker and the fuse are the same size for some reason the fuse goes first. I replaced the breaker with a 25 amp($2.99) and now the breaker trips first. Also keystone had the breaker wired backwards and used wire nuts for all connections, The poor guy who put it togethere was most likely useing parts supplied and had a lot to do that day. You guys may want to check and see if this is the case with your slider switch and when you put it back togethere use crimp connectors. Have fun Kirk

·
Registered
630 Posts
My slider has blown the fuse twice now. Once at the dealer during the PDI and once on me when we were camping. I would like to check into this, however, I am no electrician and I am not sure I could replace the breaker.

I don't suppose there is any possiblity you would over in my neck of woods this weekend?

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi camperDC, sorry won't be out that way soon but thinking about a trip to PA and Maine maybe later this year. If you can handle a screw driver and crimping tool you should be able to check your swtch.
1) check fuse size at breaker box( 30A) and remove.
2) remove two screws from switch and slowly pull wires out of wall.
3) remove all tape from breaker- little square box 1x1x1 with two screw posts-
4) check size of breaker, should say something like 12v-30a
5) check to see if it is in correctly wired- one of the posts is marked bat the other may say aux and the battery post should have the wire coming from wall connectted to it, the aux post wire should go to switch. don't remove any wires yet.
6) if the breaker is 30A go to any auto parts store and buy a 25A breaker to replace existing 30A- do not remove old breaker and take it with you when you go to the store.
7) you may already have if not buy a crimping tool and barrel connectors( yellow and blue) at auto parts store
8) with new parts in hand wire for wire remove wire nuts and one wire at a time install crimp connectors (gently tug on barrel crimp connector to test tightness) . install new breaker checking that it is connected correctly.
9) rewrap breaker in electrical tape and tuck everything back into wall and put screws back in same holes
10) put fuse back in box and test switch- now if over amp draw situation happens the breaker should trip and shut down slider before fuse blows. If breaker trips allow it a minuet or so to reset it's self and continue to retract or extend slider.

This is very easy to check and repair just don't get in a hurry and do things systematically. good luck Kirk

·
Registered
258 Posts
aplvlykat said:
6) if the breaker is 30A go to any auto parts store and buy a 25A breaker to replace existing 30A- do not remove old breaker and take it with you when you go to the store.
Other then making sure the breaker trips before the fuse blows, why would you downgrade the circuit? Seems to me like they rated it at 30a for a reason. Unless the fuse is a real PITA to get at, I would think that swapping a fuse would be a better trade off then cutting off 15% of the circuits rating.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim, I think as in most motors when it reaches it's peak and can't go any further the amps will go up. So I reasoned that the purpose of the auto reset breaker is to trip first in case it is held in to long thus protecting the main fuse. The wiring can only handle a fixed amount of amperage so you don't want to upgrade the fuse for fear of smoking the wires, if you downgrade the main fuse then it will blow before the breaker trips. So this is why I down graded the breaker, I don't think I am mistaken and this is the most electrically logical way to accomplish shut down of the slider safley without damaging any of the existing equippment. Can someone verify if I am reasoning correctly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes you are reasoning correctly. Better to have less amps flowing than more. Unless the circuit breaker trips frequently under normal operation you should be fine with your setup.

Michael

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh, I'm well versed in electricity -- I'm a computer engineer!

I guess the point I was trying to make is that on a 30a circuit it probably draws 25a on a few occasions that would be deemed within spec, so it would be okay. By downing the breaker you might get it to trip when you really don't want it to. Motors have a tendency to draw some pretty decent amounts of current, while still working within their parameters, so to me it seems like a bad idea to lose that much capacity.

But hey, if it works the way you want it to that's all that matters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts