Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has GOT to have been covered already, but I can't find it. I'd like to be able to use the slide out bed, not slid out, just for a quick nap during travel. I know ya can't jump on the bed when it's inboard cause you'll damage the suspension on the tracks above. So, somebody's come up with an easy fix? Easy to use portable braces for below? I've just bought the trailer ( 28KRS ) and haven't really had a moment to study the issue and possible solutions So I thought I'd take the easy route and hit y'all up for your experiences and solutions. Thanks in advance for any and all direction and thoughts. :)

Safe travels, all.

gary

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
What year is the trailer? Does it have a manual or power rear slide out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning!

The trailer is a 2007 28KRS with manual rear queen bed slide out. This is the slideout in question. It also has a power L side power dinnette slideout. Thanks.

gary

·
Registered
2,172 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent resources, thefulminator! I KNEW this subject HAD to have been addressed. I may have to wait till spring to play with it, but play with it I will before shoving off in May. Thanks!

Safe travels, all.

gary

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
There are many more old threads on the subject. That was the first one I found. For better search results than on the forum, go to Google and include outbackers.com, rear, slide and support on your search.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am I missing something here? The two examples shown look, to me, overly complicated. Why wouldn't a simple scissors jack and a 18" section of 2x4 placed under the forward aspect of the bed suffice?

Safe travels, all.

gary

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Perhaps it would. Something else to be aware of is that the floor is only 7/16" thick OSB. A point load between the floor beams may punch right through.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That would work. But. Would still have to be attatched to the floor, or bottom of the bed frame. Just cranked up with pressure probably wouldn't make it far. I used a alluminum telescopic adjustable folding table leg. and attatched to underside of bed. When not in use i just flip it up out of the way. Only issue i found is when i forgot it was there a couple of times and extended the bed the leg didn't fare so well. It's now on my list of things to do when getting set up. Otherwise good. Should be able to find this type of leg at any RV dealer. Thats where i got ours.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think i'll go that route myself. The folding adjustable alluminum leg that i know use is kinda Thrashed. The first 2 times i put out the bed i forgot to lift it up as it is attatched to the underside. It's on my list of things to do before letting the bed out but a tad late lol Otherwise worked perfect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just curious, as I purchased one of these for piece of mind even with the cable slide system, . . . which end did you remove the 3" from and was it a straight forward modification? I don't have this in front of me, but want to cut this down before I head out to pick the trailer up so that it is ready for the 900 mile trip back.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just curious, as I purchased one of these for piece of mind even with the cable slide system, . . . which end did you remove the 3" from and was it a straight forward modification? I don't have this in front of me, but want to cut this down before I head out to pick the trailer up so that it is ready for the 900 mile trip back.
I picked one up today. I cut 5 inches off. Stumpy the link you supplied said 19.99. I printed it off and went to home depot. here they wanted 27 dollars. They said 19.99 was U.S. pricing but gave it to me for for the same. Brentp the modification is simple. A hacksaw a hammer and a flathead screw driver to punch the threaded plug out. There is tons of room for adjustment so cutting a bit more should be no issue if you wanted to.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Glad it worked for you. I made up a little larger base to set it on the floor to spread the load a little more. I just used some 1/2" plywood and some carpet scraps I had. Maybe 1'x1' or so...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gonna look into this at Home Depot tomorrow. Looks like a good, simple fix. Maybe get two of them and space them apart under the bed. Thanks to all who responded with helpful hints. 9 weeks till I shove off from west Massachusetts to Jackson Hole, Wyoming! WooHoooo!!

Safe travels all.

gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
thefulminator, on 22 Nov 2015 - 8:53 PM, said:

What year is the trailer? Does it have a manual or power rear slide out?
What's the story on the newer power cable rear slide? Is it supposed to be able to hold weight when it's in?

We never got on our bed when it was in, but the rails on the roof inside started to pull away from the ceiling just from driving it down the road. Dealer fixed the rails under warranty at the end of the season last year. Hoping it will hold up better this year. We'll see...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wound up wedging a couple of 2x4's cut to size under the bed. Been on it without issue. We'll see how it holds out for the long drive out to Jackson, WY from here in west Massachusetts.

Safe travels all. :)

gary

1 - 20 of 29 Posts