Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Which is better Electronic or Inertia, Pendulum type? Will be towing our new 21RS with an 03 Yukon XL. I want this to be an easy install with the pigtail that has factory GM plug on one end and controller plug on the other. Do you need extra fuse's when the truck is pre wired for brake controllers? I've heard prodigy is good any others as they are not available up here in Alaska.
 

·
Outbackers Contributor
Joined
·
5,038 Posts
Hi DernMooseAK, first of all Welcome to the Outbackers!!

I've had one of the cheaper controllers and found the Prodigy to be hands down the best brake controller out there. I wouldn't waste my money on anything but a Prodigy if I was buying something new. The best prices can be found at RV Wholesalers, they sell it for $98 with free shipping. Buying it locally you'll see $130-$165, even camping world sells them for $149 (on sale). While your at it they sell the pigtails which allow you, in most cases, to plug straight from your tow rig right into the Prodigy with no wire splicing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Y-Guy
Thanks for the info, I ended up finnally finding a prodigy up here in Alaska. There is only one place up here that sells them(go figure).
Install was Very Easy! Start to finnish 10 Min.
 

·
Outbackers Contributor
Joined
·
5,038 Posts
Good deal! I agree about the quick install, I've installed mine in 3 vehicles and they were all a snap. You'll enjoy the confidence the Prodigy gives you when towing!
 

·
Outbackers Contributor
Joined
·
260 Posts
Y-Guy (or anyone else who can help),

This may be a "newbie" question but what is the big advantage to the Prodigy? I've heard a lot of good things but what exactly does the Prodigy provide that other brake controllers lack?

Thanks,

Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borntorv
From what I found out, no mounting limitations, most controlers can only be mounted at 90 degree angle or horazontial. Dont have to level vehicle and trailer to set brake up. digital display of voltage to trailer brakes with preset stages for brake presure.
Just some of the stuff I found out.
 

·
Outbackers Contributor
Joined
·
5,038 Posts
Greg, I had a cheapo "Activator III" or something like that with my old Coleman Niagara, which was a very heavy Popup camper. Once I installed the Prodigy I noticed such a huge difference the old one was just garbage. The basic ones operate on a timer; you press your brake and they slowly apply brake pressure. In my case once on the Highway 101 on the Northern Cal Coast the trailer was really pushing me around corners since it took to long to apply the brakes to the trailer. Many of us that have towed using the older type controllers, we're used to the jerking and uneven braking The Prodigy is an accelerometer-based control it delivers power to the trailer brakes based on the deceleration it senses in the tow unit. I am probably not the one to put all the details down, I just know how good it works. I can say I didn't think I needed the Prodigy when I first heard about them. I figured that only the "big guys" needed such a snazy controller. But for $99 vs spending about $75 on a cheapo I can say the difference is huge. Even at the list prices around $140 is a great controller. If you hope on rv.net and search I'd say 90% of the folks use a Prodigy that have been towing for a while, the other 10% are waiting to upgrade
 

·
Outbackers Contributor
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
I agree with Y-Guy in his description on how it works. We had a leeser brake controller and I hated it, never knew if it was adjusted correctly, don't have that worry now with the prodigy and I know the family is safe. Also I think somewhere I read that the prodigy is the only brake controller the applies the TT brakes in reverse. Kirk
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top