Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking under the trailer this afternoon, I found three bolt heads snapped off on the belly cover. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to schedule a visit for some other issues (window gaskets, radio hum) so I will add that to the list.

Just thought you all might want to check yours.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, it is only the front bunk house egress window that has shown this problem, but the gaskets are all the same material.

What happens is the foam material of the gasket seems to get compressed after a while, and no longer holds a seal. It has only been a problem while towing in the rain. We had a quite a downpoar the other night, and when I checked things in the morning, all was well, except for the overhead vent that got left open in the bathroom

I noticed the day after we took delivery that the bed next to the egress window was wet, and it was dry 24 hours earlier, when we did our walkthrough/PDI. The only cause that I could trace back to was the window gasket.

Tim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about the underbelly problem. Coming home from our first camping trip in our new Outback we heard a banging noise and pulled over to find half of our underbelly loose and pulled to the back. Some of the bolts were barely holding the underbelly on. We called the dealer and a new underbelly was installed the next weekend. Hope you get your problems fixed.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to the service department today to make an appointment. Service manager said that the broken bolts were not an unheard of problem. He didn't elaborate too much further. When I mentioned the hum on the radio, he said "that sounds normal". I don't know if he meant that the sound emanatiing from the radio was normal, or the complaint was normal.

I will keep all posted, we won't be going to the dealer until June 2, so I have some time to find some more problems.

Tim

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have found one twisted off screw on the underbelly cover. These are self tapping screws so it's just a matter of drilling a new hole a 1/2 in or so away from the broken one and screwing a new one in. This might take you 5 minutes and you have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right!

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found one twisted off screw on the underbelly cover. These are self tapping screws so it's just a matter of drilling a new hole a 1/2 in or so away from the broken one and screwing a new one in. This might take you 5 minutes and you have the satisfaction of knowing it was done right!
After the warranty expires, that is probably the route I will take. But since I haven't even camped in it yet....Keystone can pay the dealer for the warranty repair. Especially if the bolts failure cause the belly cover to fall off like Brewers.

Besides, the list of things for the dealer to fix has continued to grow. I filled the fresh water tank today, sanitizing for the weekend. While the tank was filling, I turned my attention to something else, until I heard the water spilling from the fill neck, and the fresh water tank vent. Shut the water off, and I went into the trailer to run the faucets, when I found a puddle forming on the floor, below the reefer
. After opening the water pump access panel to investigate, I discovered the vent hose is severally chaffed, and has about a 7" split in it. After looking at it, I think it may have been damaged before it was installed.

Tim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just spent a couple of hours battling mosquitos and the underbelly on our 28BHS last Saturday. NOT fun!

It appears that the corrugated plastic started to sag in the middle, and eventually pulled through several of the screws on one side. I manhandled this back in place and screwed a 6' piece of aluminum bar to one of the cross members on the underframe. This took out the sag problem, at least in one area. I would have liked to do two, but there was only the water tank support that I could screw into. And, I'm not brave enough to hope that I would miss the tank!

Still have to get some large washers to add to the existing screws along the side frames, or it may just pull through again.

Of note, while the underbelly was open, I noted several wires running from the front of the trailer to the electrical panel. These were just laying on the underbelly and not supported in any way. It is important to keep the underbelly in place, or there may be some additional wiring repairs required.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I was at the dealer yesterday, and everything got fixed. They couldn't track down the cause of the radio/CD hum, tried a new unit, and it worked fine, so just replaced the radio.

Removed the broken screws and replaced them with new ones. Replaced the window gasket, and replaced the fresh water vent hose. It looked like the factory may have dragged it across the parking lot for an hour or two before installing it.

Within 15 minutes of my arrival, there were 4 technicians swarming over my trailer. The service manager wanted to get things finished, so that I could bring the unit home, and not have to make a return trip to pick it up (87 miles one way). I am glad that I chose Garick RV in Oak Ridge, NJ and would recommend them to anyone without reservations at this time. There service department has just earned a bit of loyalty from me, and good service goes a long way in my book.

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Tim its good to hear that your dealer is taking care of you. So often we just read the negative comments, but when a dealer jumps on your camper light that it shows they care about their customers.

·
Outbackers Contributor
3,580 Posts
Tim,

Glad Garick did well by you. they've always done a great job for me.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts