Outbacker RV Forum banner

Camping over the New Year's weekend.

662 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Herbicidal 
#1 ·
Well folks, due to work commitments, family commitments, holiday's etc, it looks like our first camping trip will be starting New Years day! Some friends of our's recommended this campground: www.olemaranch.com I just called up and made reservations for 3 nights, rain or sunny ! This campground is about 3 hours from where we live and if things go south, we can always come on home. How'z that for optimism?

I'll be bringing my digital camera and I can send some pic's to Vern upon our return. It appears they have tons of things to do for the family, although activities may be a bit fewer due to the time of year, but we'll see.

Take care for now,

Herbicidal

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Vern! If I can't stand the wait, I can always camp in my driveway!

Herbicidal

#5 ·
Have been to Olema several times. It's actually not quite 3 hrs away from you... And I can recommend a route that is the quickest although has some curves... But I managed it myself (driving the trailer for the first time) when the husband got injured while body surfing on the beach. There are some signs that highly recommend not taking a long trailer however, which had me concerned. But it wasn't bad at all... Anyway, I'll look up those directions.
It's a really nice campground and ask for the loop next to the creek if possible - those are widely spaced. Pt. Reyes is great, but it requires driving to get anywhere - about 25 minutes to the lighthouse and 25 minutes to the elk preserve...

#6 ·
Well we did it! We were going to leave on New Years day, but with 45 mph+ winds, we opted to stay home one more day. So we left on Friday the 2nd and had some rain but by the time we arrived at the campground it was all done with. In fact it did not rain at all the rest of the trip!

We went to the lighthouse and hiked the 300 plus steps down then back up. We also saw the beginning’s of an elephant seal migration near Castle Rock. About a dozen bulls, one female and one calf. The males were doing the chest bumping thing and making lots of noise. It was pretty cool seeing them in person and from a safe distance.

We had a nice dinner at Pt. Reyes Station and spent the rest of the evening in the trailer. It was nice and cozy warm. That night the temp dropped down to freezing and it did freeze up our water line running to the trailer. The next night I let a faucet drip slowly and we did not have the problem again.

The next day we went to Stinson beach then up and over Hwy 1 to the small town of Mill Valley and ate lunch. Then we headed back up Hwy 1 to Mt. Tamalpais and spent part of the afternoon watching hang gliders sail off the mountain. My wife and I were married up there so we went back to that particular spot for a bit of nostalgia.

Made dinner back at the camp site and kicked off a fire in the fire pit for some s'mores. Made the kids happy.

Hooked back up the following morning and headed home. Had a great time and certainly appreciated the heater and useable bathroom! Especially with a 3 yr old needing to use the potty 3 times after he was already in bed.

The campground itself was fine. Although a bit water logged from the recent storms. We really did not need to use any of the amenities provided, other then getting some more milk one evening from it's own little store.

Our next trip may not be until spring break as my wife is an elementary school teacher. We are thinking about Yosemite...

Take care for now.

Herbicidal

PS: Sorry I missed your post KampingKris. The directions from the campgrounds website worked out quite well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.