Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be taking delivery of our 28 BHS in a few weeks and are looking forward to some great outings this summer. As with many of you, we like to bring our bikes. But with a family of 5, this sometimes gets difficult. As my new trailer arrives, I'm looking for your best suggestions on carrying 5 bikes.

Thanks!
John

·
Outbackers Contributor
260 Posts
Hi John,

My compliments on your choice of TT's (and model!).

When we're transporting bikes we've generally put a tarp on the queen bed which will easily carry two bikes. The rest are secured (bungee cords and/or bike tights) across from the slide with adequate padding of course. On our previous TT, I welded a heavy duty bumper on and a special rack to carry up to six bikes across the back. To be honest though I never really got comfortable with the effect on weight distribution and that nightmare scenario of having one of the bikes come off and not even knowing it.

Hope you get lots of good ideas,

Greg

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
I'll assume you don't have a pick up.

The bumper on the Outbacks are not designed for much weight, so unless you weld to the frame your previous idea probably won't work. Though you may be able to get an over the tire rack to hold a couple of small kids bikes. Others can go in the Outback, in our old Kiwi I just put them in the hall with a heavy blanket over them then bungeed them in place so they wouldn't shift.

Putting a rack between the tow vehicle and camper has been done by some, but isn't a great option either. Velo Rack makes one that mounts on the V of the tongue, but you'll easily drop over $450 for one of those racks.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Someone else said they remove the handle bars and pedals then you can transport more in the bike area under the bunks. The only other thing I can think of is get a rack to go on the roof of your TV. They are not cheap so maybe you can rent one to see if it will work before you invest $$$?? Kirk

·
Registered
366 Posts
We too are wondering the best way to carry bikes... We can "fit" them into the bunk area...but it seems like a bunch of work. After having a pop-up we are trying to have as little "extra work" as possible. We do have the Mega Warrior on top of the Expedition, which we can attach the bike racks to it (which we already have) all of which we used on the Coleman pop-up.

I guess we will have to try it before we knock it... it just seems like a long way up there to lift those bikes!

We have used the bike racks on the Pathfinder, but the Expedition is much taller

Anyone put bikes up on TV?

·
Registered
394 Posts
All,

One option nobody has mentioned is putting the bikes out in front of the TV. After some investigation and thought, I have decided to go this way. Just get a front mount receiver (I picked up one for a little over $100 on etrailer.com) and use a normal receiver mount bike rack. I don't have the front receiver installed yet as I'm still waiting for the front mount license plate bracket (I have to remove the current license plate holder to mount the receiver, so in Oregon it would be illegal for me to drive around without a front plate).

The upsides are not having to take apart the bikes to put in the trailer, not having to heave the bikes up on top of the TV, and not worrying about them falling off of or bouncing around on the rear of the trailer.

The downsides are having to buy the front receiver and maybe some bugs on the bikes. Oh, and I suppose the odd looking "Beverly Hillbillies" look your whole rig will have going down the road....

Chet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi, we too have a family of five with bikes. We put the kids bikes either in the back of the 'Burb or in the Outback depending on how long we are going for and what kind of load we are carrying. The two bigger bikes go up on the roof of the 'Burb on bike racks. This can be a chore getting them up there but once I did it a few times I got the hang of it. Don't really know of any other way. I don't know about trying to drive with a couple of bikes hanging out in front of me.

Bob

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
We take 'em inside the TT, with some padding, and a few bungee's. I like the idea of hanging them out front, but I have one concern. How will it effect airflow across the radiator, and tranny cooler? I know that you wouldn't think a few tubular bike frames would block much air, but you would be surprised.

Has anyone carried bikes this way, and noticed any difference in engine and transmission temps?

Tim

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi All,

We are also a family of five with bikes. We've always carried them on the back of the Expedition but this is not going to work now. I'd rather not have to deal with them in the trailer as don't want any damage due to shifting. The Expo roof is too high to make it convenient for storing on top. We are considering mounting our existing bike rack to the rear frame of the TT. The rack was expensive and would like to continue using. Seems like it would make an extra long rig tho. Does anyone have a rear frame mounted bike rack on their Outback? How does it work? Tow okay?

lisa

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have said before that having the bikes on the back of the trailer is not a good idea. We had ours stored there and the bike rack bent in half. Lost two bikes and the back of the trailer had many dents.
We will store ours inside the trailer from now on.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think for us, we will try on top of the TV to start with. We already have the rack system for that. I just don't see "us" putting a rack system on the front of the TV, or the front/back of the TT. So it's inside the TT or up on the TV

My 10 yr old had a suggestion....he said we can just take our scooters instead of our bikes!! What a kid

With that idea .... I said we can take your scooters and skateboards! Talk about simplified

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Don't you think it is strange that the caption reads "Fits 4-4-1/2" RV bumpers without a rear mounted spare tire.", and yet the photo shows the unit mounted on a RV with a rear mounted spare tire.

Also, since Keystone specifically says not to mount anything on the bumper, is the bike rack manufacturer going to warrantee your bicycles, and Outback against any damage?

Just a thought.

Tim

·
Registered
394 Posts
hatcityhosehauler,

That is a good question (would bikes in front of TV effect airflow enough to be significant), I don't know yet. Etrailer.com emailed me yesterday and said to expect my license plate bracket on Friday. So I expect I'll slap the front receiver on our truck Thursday night. We are scheduled to head out to the Coast Friday afternoon to do some camping, so I'll let you know if I notice any difference in engine and transmission temps with our two bikes out front. Granted, it probably won't break 70 degrees but the drive is over the Coastal Range, so maybe I'll notice a difference.

Chet.

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
Schantz said:
I found this bike carrier at: Camper Exchange What do you think? I understand that Keystone recommends against this...but this company obviously thinks the install is ok on the Outback! Interested to hear others' thoughts. Paul
My guess is these guys are just selling a bike rack, they don't know the details of your specific camper. Some campers have strong bumpers, others don't.

Problem is that since Outback says don't do it, you could be liable if any damages occur. Say if the bike come off the back and another car runs into them. Its hard to say you didn't know when its in the manual.

However, Keystone may also be just covering their backsides too. I wouldn't put adult bikes on it, but a couple of kids bikes would probably be okay.

When the time comes for me, I'll probably get a rack like this for my Av so I can still haul wood and other things in the bed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi everyone, we are new to the group but I have been reading this forum for about a year. We are signing papers on a new 04 26rs this week and we are looking forward to getting it.
Bikes, I carry 4 bikes on the front of my TV (Tahoe). I installed a front receiver hitch and use a 2" receiver type bike rack. JCWhitney sells for about 100 bucks. Works well and distributes the load.

Me, wife, 2 kids
lots of junk/toys to carry

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
Steve,

I had to look twice. I thought you put some bike racks on my Av, without telling me, but then I saw the running boards, and knew it wasn't mine. Of course my 5 year old, and 3 year were standing next to the desk at the time I was reading the post and both said "Daddy, that's your truck!"

Of course, looking at the wheels, I'm guessing that is a 2500 (looks like 8 lugs vs 6 on the 1500)

That is a nice bike rack though. Do you have a link to where that is available?

Tim

·
Outbackers Contributor
5,038 Posts
hatcityhosehauler said:
That is a nice bike rack though. Do you have a link to where that is available?
Tim one of the Av owners on the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club came up with the design and with a lot of other users has pretty much perfected it I think. The complete link is right here.

If you are a member of the CAFCNA for at least 60days he'll knock of 10%, so for a free membership its worth it. Cost runs (with discount) about $261. Its not cheap, but its a good setup. One the uprights are installed you can remove the cross bars easily and quickly. Other than cost the only thing I need to check is if my old racks will work since I have some of the full length racks so I don't have to take the front wheel off.

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,452 Posts
If you are a member of the CAFCNA for at least 60days he'll knock of 10%, so for a free membership its worth it.
I finally registered as a member there last week, but haven't spend much time on the site. There is just too much there to look at, and it is a bit overwhelming.

Tried to get some questions answered about the transmission gauge thing, but so far no one has answered my question. Posted it here also in the towing section.

Tim

1 - 20 of 53 Posts