Outbacker RV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: Outside cooking stove. One end of gas line to stove, other end just laying in back. I notice a hole in top of opening and push gas line up through. It comes out under the cooking stove inside. Where does this hookup? On the back of the existing stove somehow? Is this something I can fix or should I go to the dealer?

Question: The hot water heater has an Atwood switch inside the trailer on the wall. There are 2 switches, one electric, other gas. When does the light on this switch come on? I have yet to see it illuminate, either switch on. Also, do most people use electric or gas for hot water? Is there a preference?

Thanks for all the help you guys have given the newbie.

P.S. I am sitting in my Outback typing this message via my wireless laptop connected to the Access Point in my home. Who thinks that in 5-10 years that most campgrounds will have high speed wireless internet access and your new Outback will have it's own built in access point?

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Ok I am a little confused as to the stove hook-up
. If it is what I think you mean, the gas line is connected to the stove and you have the black line loose, then look under the trailer next to the tire and there is a quick connect with a yellow plug and shut off valve. The only time I have seen that light lite was when I ran out of propane and the water heater failed. Hope this helps and it would be nice to have some indication the water heater is on, Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
4,740 Posts
He's right. When you use the stove, you have to plug in the "quick connect" into the jack under the trailer, behind the rear wheel. Pop out the yellow plug, plug in, and turn the gas valve down there.

My water heater switch (gas only) has a tiny light at the base. The only time it lights is when it's in a lockout situation. (not lit) Check your manual for proper operation of your unit, because it may be different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
!
I don't know why I didn't look under there, I just saw that hole and figured the cable went there. I see exactly where it goes. Thanks guys for all the info.

·
Outbackers Contributor
1,207 Posts
Hi chip, I guess it was the other hole you mentioned that confused the issue. Sounds like someone put it in the wrong spot. I hope it is up high enough that you won't have a leak when you clean the stove or when it rains? You may want to plug it maybe get a electrical knockout plug and some silicon and seal it up
. Kirk

·
Outbackers Contributor
157 Posts
According to the schematic, that light will only come on when a fault occurs. If you run out of gas, have a failure when it lights, or some other no good thing happens, the light will come on. Seems funny huh? I would think the light would come on when everything is OK to give the user confidence but thats not how it works.

As far as using the electric or gas, I suppose it boils down to which one you have available. When we camp with electricity, we use it rather than gas! They both work well so I would base it on whats available.

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts